Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:42:24 AM EDT
My self and my roomate are getting ready to build a garage in our back yard, and I am trying to get all of our ducks in a row as we try to pull permits from the city. We dont have an overwhelming cash flow to fund the project with, so we are going to be erecting it ourselves with the help of a few experienced friends. We will also be doing as much as possible on our own from conception to the final phases.

This is where I come in. I did my fair share of drafting in HS, and I still have all of my drawings from it. I just wanted to know if anyone else has any tips for me as I set forth to put my once learned knowledge into practice for the first time almost 10 years later. I dont want to hold the project up anymore than it has been thus far in messing around with the company that did the survey.

Thanks for any tips from the guys that have done this before.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:44:02 AM EDT
if you work on your car you should put in a pit and have aceiling high enough for a lift.. my dream garage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:49:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wash-Ar15:
if you work on your car you should put in a pit and have aceiling high enough for a lift.. my dream garage.

We wont be putting in a pit, as that would not fly with the city. However the garage will have a 12ft. celing so that my roomates step van will fit easily, and we will also have room for a lift somewhere down the line.

Make no mistake about it we have this planed out to be a sweet garage. one 10ft. tall roll off door for the step van, and another 8'x16' for the cars. This thing should be a real humdinger, the only think that I am concerned with right now is drafting it up. I would really be happy if I could get an example of what they where looking for out of the drawings, as the building inspector has been less than helpful thus far in the process.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:08:29 AM EDT

the building inspector has been less than helpful thus far in the process.

Speaking from experience, if you're not giving money to one of their friends, they're not going to be very friendly. Around here you will not get permission from the city to build unless money ends-up in the hands of the right people. Good luck trying to do it the cheap way.z
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:41:59 AM EDT
We can definatly see that in action around here. Some new houses were built a block or so away on property that the city sold to a fancy pants developer. Thier garages were obviously granted the same variance that the building inspector told us not to waste our time on.
Top Top