Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/31/2002 11:56:00 AM EDT
Developed a vision problem Fri. , Went into the Metroplex Sun. for an early Dr. appt. Mon. Opthomoligist said I had developed a retinal Detachment @ 9:00 Mon. morning, and would operate to repair @ 1:00 that day. Scared the bejeebers out of me, but 2 1/2 hrs later I wake up in recovery and he says he thinks it will be O.K. Just wondering if anyone else here has had this??? He also said NO SHOOTING of any knid for 6 weeks, and max 2 hrs. per day reading/computer. This S-X.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:57:41 AM EDT
Could be worse. Detached retina used to mean blindness. Six week of no gun and light computer seems like a generous trade.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:05:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2002 12:06:11 PM EDT by Tinker]
My brother has this problem. He's diabetic and has vision problems you wouldn't believe. If this is as bad as it gets for you, count your blessings. (Don't you love being told that by someone NOT having a problem? Easy for me to say!) NO shooting? Not even a .22?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:07:08 PM EDT
Yea, but I want my Kate and Edith too, Cataract on the left side means no driving untill I can see out of the Right eye.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:10:05 PM EDT
He said none, (and he's a shooter, not one of "THOSE DOCTORS), I had previously had a cataract done in the right eye, and they are concerned about jarring the lens implant loose.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:16:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2002 12:17:35 PM EDT by platform389]
He also said NO SHOOTING of any knid for 6 weeks, and max 2 hrs. per day reading/computer. This S-X.
View Quote
Nope, not correct! Being BLIND, now that "S-X"! Listen to your doc![IMG]http://www.3dpcgame.com/cwm/s/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:19:40 PM EDT
I can't see how shooting a handgun or .22 rifle would have any potential for hurting your fragile retina. I wouldn't go shooting any big boomers like the M1, but the no shooting for 6 weeks order is silly. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:29:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By trickshot: I can't see how shooting a handgun or .22 rifle would have any potential for hurting your fragile retina. I wouldn't go shooting any big boomers like the M1, but the no shooting for 6 weeks order is silly. What am I missing?
View Quote
Everything, as usual. Sorry, couldn't resist! [:D] NORTEXED- Good luck on your recovery. I'd agree that six short weeks for a lifetime of vision is worth the wait. Listen to your doc, he does this all day long...
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2002 1:33:54 PM EDT by The_Macallan]
You're lucky you don't live in Maryland. Your doctor would have probably contacted the Police and [i]Federales[/i] to come and confiscate your guns "for safe-keeping" until you're healthy enough to use them safely. Of course it would be for your own good!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:18:35 AM EDT
Went in for the 1 week check yesterday, and doc says everythinglooks great. The lens is still straight, and is slowly filling with fluid between lens and cornea (a good thing). I still have half a bubble in my vision (kinda like looking through a half full glass of blue water. Thanks for the concern guys, man, if you ever notice flashes (not muzzel related) or floaters, please get the checked right away, made a believer out of me. ed
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:24:04 AM EDT
I bet that bubble vision stuff is pretty weird. It kind of makes my eye hurt just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:31:24 AM EDT
Yea, kinda keeps you with a dull headache. A buddy from work came by this AM and said all the carpenters are going to want one, built in level. No matter which way I turn my head, bubbles on bottom.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:55:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2002 8:56:32 AM EDT by Isomerase]
NORTEXED, can you give some signs and symptoms (time/duration) that got you to go to the Ophthalmologist and what signs and symptoms are you having at this time. Just wanting to know for an educational purpose. Good Luck on the recovery and down time. thanks Iso
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:51:44 AM EDT
I have a floater in my right eye. It has been there about 1 year. No change. When I had it checked out, the doctor said one way to check for a detached retna is as follows. Draw a strait line, if it does NOT appear strait with one eye, your retna is detached. Get immediate help.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:21:26 AM EDT
I've had floaters in my eyes since I was a young child. used to make up little games when bored, ie: balance the floater on the teacher's head, stuff like that. what can I say, i was (and still am) easily amused.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:40:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By trickshot: I can't see how shooting a handgun or .22 rifle would have any potential for hurting your fragile retina. I wouldn't go shooting any big boomers like the M1, but the no shooting for 6 weeks order is silly. What am I missing?
View Quote
It probably has to do with focusing. You focus by squeezing your eyeball with the muscles that surround it. That deforms the lens to the shape needed to focus on an object. Focusing on pinpoint things like a gunsight, newsprint, computer screen, etc. would require a great deal of flexing on that newly repaired eyeball. Normal, low-tech existance generally doesn't require the tight focusing required of shooting/reading. Eyes generally heal slower than other parts, like fingers for example. A few years ago, NORTEXED wouldn't have had any options, just blindness. Ross
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:24:19 AM EDT
The symptoms were in about 2-3 days before deciding something really was wrong, flashes of light in the extreme periphry of my vision, increase in amount and size of floaters, and finally, as stupid as it sounds, I thought I was seeing my nose all the time as if my eye was crossed. Turned out that when I looked to the far upper right, I had a gray "balloon" in the lower left quadrant of my vision. My cousin in Ft. Worth had me do a simple hold your finger in front of you, and rotate the vision around to see if it dissapears . Sure enough. You're at more risk for a detachment if you are Myopic (nearsighted), Have ever had eye surgery, over 40, and in some cases, sustained a blow to the eye. If anyone has any of these symptoms, ple4ase get them checked, if they get it before it gets into the Macula (the central part of your vision where your fine focus is), you stand a much better chance of comming out of it with your vision intact. Hope this helps somebody out there. ed
Top Top