some people gain weight very easily when they
work out with weights, I could never get really
"bulky" like some people. Your probably gaining
weight because of your muscle mass, slower
metabolism from age and life style, not burning
enough calories, you need to do more running
1.5 miles is not enough in my opinion. Work on
your cardiovascular type excersizes more and
do high repetition with less weight, for a leaner build, and try not to eat fast food and
sodas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Eating fatty foods and discounting all carbs is unhealthy.  You MERELY need to balance your diet and count calories.  Its THAT easy.  Yes, you will lose the pounds quick like Bung did, but its really not a healthy way to do it.  I just assumed Bung already knew about the dangers but opted for the rapid weight loss.

My advice when it comes to the Atkins diet is DON'T.

You needs carbs and you need fats.  You need a little of everything - just in the proper amounts.

I thought it was going to be a real pain in the rear trying to adjust my diet to keep my diabetes in check.  I was wrong - its stinking simple.  Since I've started eating right (2 weeks now) I've dropped 8 pounds.  

I cut out all unnatural sugars, reduced my carbs, and integrated more raw fruits and vegetables.

No candy, coke, fruit juices, etc.  Just the good stuff.  I've never eaten so many tasty meals consecutively before.  Damn, I've been missing out!  This is EASY!

Good luck.
View Quote

Believe it or not, this is the Atkin's diet.

What everyone thinks of as Atkins is the high protein/fat no carb diet.  That is only the weight loss phose of the diet.  If you read the book, he compares it to a balance beam.  If you've been living for years on refined sugars and starches, you have to do something drastic to bring your weight back into balance.  Once that is accomplished you return to eating healthy foods like you describe.  I lost 60lbs on his diet and have kept it off by avoiding refined sugars.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Anything that relies on shocking your liver into ketosis in order to work doesn't seem like a good idea for the long haul.

How about learning SELF DISCIPLINE and EXCERCISING.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Cut sugars out of your diet totally.  This is the biggest thing people dont do.

No sodas

No sugar in your coffee

No (or very little) 'high sugar' fruit

nothing with corn syrup, sucrose, frucose.

Then cut pasta and breads

IT is the combination of carbs and Protein/fat that causes fat gain.  You body digests the protein/fat calories very quickly, and then all those carb calories get stored as fat/cholesterol.

And you do realize there is a difference between FAT and weight, right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I've lost the same 40lbs on the Atkins diet 3 different times.  Works like a champ you just can't eat that way forever.  My plan has always been to get the weight off fast and then get back in to an exercise program to keep it off.  I still think it's a good plan but I've been to lazy to get back in the gym after the weight come off
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been watching these exercise tapes and they aren't doing me any good.  I play one after another and all I get is bored.  Sometimes I even doze off during them.  I'm glad the remote control is working so I don't have to get off the couch to adjust the volume.

[shock]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:36:17 AM EDT
[#10]
pergnant exercising woman on a work out tape.

how the hell am I supposed to masturbate to that.

TXLEWIS

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:41:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
pergnant exercising woman on a work out tape.

how the hell am I supposed to masturbate to that.

TXLEWIS

View Quote

Do you REALIZE how bad hot coffee though the nose HURTS!!

TRG
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Atkins is about a balaced diet.  The eraly parts, as posted before are about cutting a sugar based lifestyle.

My wife and I have been on it for two weeks.  She is down 10 pounds, I am down 5.   She ate alot more sugar than I did.  It was pretty tough on her at first, and she still is not happy with the diet, but it is working.

Did you buy the book, LT, or just make up a diet based on what you had heard about the Atkins plan?  The new book (5.99 at Wal Mart)has a two week, day by day, meal by meal diet plan in it, complete menus including snacks, etc.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I needed to lose 28 lbs one time, so I cut off my leg.

Doctors say your head can weigh as much as 15 lbs.  I guess I always have that option.

The Atkins diet DOES work.  Most people don't understand what it really is.  I do, and it looks like [b]Donith[/b] does too.  The strictest part of the diet only lasts about 14 days, then you add the other foods back in a little at a time.

There are some cool side effects of the first 14 days of Atkins:

1.  No morning breath
2.  Greatly reduced farting
3.  Sudden appreciation for how sweet a piece of fruit can be.  (Sugar is an addiction.  Don't believe it?  Try doing the Induction Phase properly)
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#15]
There are four phases of the Atkins diet.  It's not a diet but a WOE (way of eating) for the rest of your life.  "Weight loss diets" don't work because when you go off them you will gain all the weight you lost back and then some. The key to weight loss and keeping it off is restricting carbs and exercise.  

You should check out "Protein Power" ([url]http://www.eatprotein.com[/url]) also.

Atkins Nutritional Approach™

Phase 1: Induction

The initial phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach, which lasts a minimum of two weeks. During this time, it is recommended that carbohydrate consumption not exceed 20 grams a day, in order to trigger lipolysis/ketosis, in which the body burns its own fat for energy. After this phase, more grams of carbohydrate and a broader array of foods are gradually introduced, deliberately slowing the pace of weight loss.

Phase 2: Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL)

Add carbohydrate, in the form of nutrient-dense and fiber-rich foods, by increasing to 25 grams daily the first week, 30 grams daily the next week and so on until weight loss stops. Then subtract 5 grams of carbohydrate from your daily intake so that you continue sustained, moderate weight loss.

Phase 3: Pre-Maintenance

The third phase, when no more than 10 pounds remain to be lost. In this phase, carbohydrate intake is INCREASED to the point where weight loss is deliberately slowed to a crawl. You make the transition from weight loss to weight maintenance by increasing the daily carbohydrate intake in 10-gram increments each week so long as very gradual weight loss is maintained. When goal weight is reached, the individual then moves on to Lifetime Maintenance.

Phase 4: Lifetime Maintenance

The final phase in which desired weight loss has been attained and is sustained by ascertaining the individual's Critical Carbohydrate Level for Maintenance (CCLM). Select from a wide variety of foods while controlling carbohydrate intake to ensure weight maintenance and a sense of well-being. This lifestyle is the foundation for a lifetime of better health.

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've lost the same 40lbs on the Atkins diet 3 different times.  Works like a champ you just can't eat that way forever.  My plan has always been to get the weight off fast and then get back in to an exercise program to keep it off.  I still think it's a good plan but I've been to lazy to get back in the gym after the weight come off
View Quote

Are you gaining weight but losing the "spare tire"?

Rocketman, I'm the same way.  I lost 15 pounds on the Atkins in Feb (a birthday resolution) before laziness took over and I gained it all back (plus a few more I think).

LT, get the book if you do not have it.  It explains all of that sort of stuff like weight gain at the beginning ect.

I just started back on it on the 1st (Yesterday) and plan to stick with it this time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Consumables that contain "HighFructoseCornSyrup"[HFCS] (asugarsubstitute) like soda, juices, and ALOT of other things, you should avoid religiously. This substance has been a rapidly increasing sugar substitute since the 50's IIRC,and look how the population has "blossomed". Its alot cheaper than real cane sugar. Read the labels LT my friend. [b]REAL food, not prossessed crap[/b] like fruit, LOTS OF WATER!, fish, steak, whole grain breads, in the proper "AMOUNT" has helped me maintain the #'s.--->  CONSIDERING YOU WONT DATE FATTIES![;)]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I felt the best I've felt in years during most of my "times" on the Atkins diet. I did experience a real lack of energy during the later stages but then I was being VERY strict and not gradually adding back carbs like they recommend. If you can get by the first 3 days or so without carbs it gets real easy. I know this, my doctor said my blood work was "as good as it can get" during my Atkins diet. I was also beginning to experience some early signs of adult onset diabetes which completely went away about 3 weeks into it. I had just a little arthritis in my hands (slight swelling, stiffness in the joints, just a little pain) again about three weeks into the diet I swear all of that went away. After I went back to eating too many carbs the problems came back.  I went thru this cycle three times so I know there is a relationship between too many carbs and some bad shit. I don't think Atkins is  magic but I do think that too many carbs are very bad juju, much worse than too much fat. I'm a carb addict and that is a really bad thing....
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Eating fatty foods and discounting all carbs is unhealthy.  You MERELY need to balance your diet and count calories.  Its THAT easy.  Yes, you will lose the pounds quick like Bung did, but its really not a healthy way to do it.  I just assumed Bung already knew about the dangers but opted for the rapid weight loss.

My advice when it comes to the Atkins diet is DON'T.

You needs carbs and you need fats.  You need a little of everything - just in the proper amounts.

I thought it was going to be a real pain in the rear trying to adjust my diet to keep my diabetes in check.  I was wrong - its stinking simple.  Since I've started eating right (2 weeks now) I've dropped 8 pounds.  

I cut out all unnatural sugars, reduced my carbs, and integrated more raw fruits and vegetables.

No candy, coke, fruit juices, etc.  Just the good stuff.  I've never eaten so many tasty meals consecutively before.  Damn, I've been missing out!  This is EASY!

Good luck.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more. I've tried the Atkins diet and all I got out of it was constipation, bad breath, and heartburn. The most helpful thing so far for me, aside from exercise, has been calorie counting. Weight Watcher's site has a calorie counter and journal that are really helpful. If you keep track of what you eat for a month or 2, it becomes obvious where all the extra calories are coming from. In my case, it was beer.[banghead]

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My New Years resolution was to work out and lose my spare tire. Well although I was working out 2-3 times a week. both cardio(run 1.5mi) and weights. I seem to be gaining weight. Well that was fine for the first month cause its muscle being built.

Well after 2 months I have gained 10lbs by working out and cutting out fatty foods. That's not right.

Well, my ass is still gaining weight. Gained another 5lbs. I am now 225lbs. When I wasn't working out much, I was stable at 210lbs!!!

WTF!!!
View Quote

When trying to loose weight lifting of some sort is very helpful due to the fact that muscle burns fat, the more muscle  you build, the more fat you will burn.

Muscle weighs more than fat, its normal when lifting and running, to gain weight. The catch is though, its muscle weight, not fat. When measureing your weight in your situation you should meausre your body fat, because if you are lifting and running, i'll bet you are increaseing your lean body mass, and decreasing the amount of body fat you have overall.

What you might want to do, is for a month or two or lift real light weight with high reps, and concentrate on fat loss and cardio only. Then after you have lost your desired amount and are leaner, begin to lift to build muscle again.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#22]

You should check out "Protein Power" (www.eatprotein.com) also.
View Quote

I agree, i find this plan better/easier to do, than atkins. I've been doing it for a while now. Also the explanations of why it works make more sense to me.

TIP: don't buy any of these books new. Go to a used book store; they're flooded with copies of 'fad' diet books and you can pick up 'protein power' for a buck or two.

IT WORKS, AND IT'S GOOD FOR YOU
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#23]
On another note, I'm still young, but am in a similar situation.

I used to weigh 195 pounds and was at 6 percent body fat. Then a year and a half of partying and not working out left me at 190 and at at my best guess, 12-15 percent body fat.

Im in my leaning out stage right now. I've been running two miles every other day and eating better for two weeks now and have lost 8 pounds and can tell my waist and stomach have lost fat. I am starting to see my abs again also. After I get down to around 175 and am satisfied with my fat loss, I am going to start lifing again. I fully expect to gain about 20 pounds in the first three months of lifting, but it'll be mostly muscle.

I can see now that as I get older in the next 10 or 15 years, im going to have a constant battle with my fat gain. The thing I have going for me though is my genetics make it entirely possible to stay in shape with minimal amount of work, I just have to do it.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
i lost 35 lbs in a month and a half. that was working out, and eating a well balanced, very carefully counted diet. to promote overall health, you really need some carbs. i am not a supporter of diets that simply cut out carbs and not fatty foods
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I have been on the Atkins diet for about 8 months. The only thing I did was limit myself to 30 carbs a day. I would drink a gallon of water a day 1/2 in morning and the other 1/2 when I worked out. I did cardio for 45 min, 4 days a week no weight training. When I started I was 245 lbs. now I am 183, but I have gained 10 lbs back.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Another thing to do is stay away from sweets (sugar).  Once a week I would eat anything I wanted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
what do you do for booze while low carbing

I put up with light beer, but can't have more than a few without screwing up the diet.

What does spaghetti squash taste like? Never had it. How far off of real spaghetti is it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#31]
i'll have to give the squash a shot

when i did protein power hardcore a few years ago i was doing all sorts of stupid shit like inventing "low carb pizza"

i took cheddar cheese shredded and spread it in a thin layer in a nonstick pan and fried it until it turned into a crispy tortilla like thing. I made a few of those and set them aside. then i made a thin layer of hamburger in a pizza pan and put pizza sauce and toppings on it and baked. i ate it with the crisp fried cheese. a pathetic attempt at the taste of pizza.

i also used mashed up cooked cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#32]
My mother in law went on Atkins diet and it put her in the hospital.  She was so shaky she could not walk and her mind became "altered".

They put her on a balanced diet and in 2-3 days she was better.

my 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Egood stuff.  I've never eaten so many tasty meals consecutively before.  Damn, I've been missing out!  This is EASY!

Good luck.
View Quote

So what kind od tasty meals???

I need some ideas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#34]
The weight you have gained might be a result of increasing your activity level. Your body prepares for future daily assaults by putting on more muscle and, perhaps in this case, storing a little extra water. If you are taking supplemental creatine, this can highly exxagerate this effect.

I say this as I am finishing up a bowl of butter crackers, shredded cheddar and Catalina salad dressing.

I gotta go on a diet, I used to be a stud, now I hardly fit into my clothes. I went to a Dr. last week and got a perscription for Meridia, but the ffing insurance co. wont pay for the med. Godamn insurance. Whats the point?

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

For booze, I haven't drank a drop. Tempting cause I have a 6PK of Killians Red and a 6pk of Fosters in my fridge.
View Quote

You do NOt know my pain.  A week before we started this diet, I bought a KEG of Killian's Irish Red.  It sits, untapped, and ice cold in my party barn.

I wake up at night and I can hear it faintly calling my name!  Arrrgrh!

TRG
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been thinking of going on the Adkins diet for awhile now(6'2 230 lbs) but I got through a keg of Michelob every 2 weeks. I don't know if I can give up "The Nectur Of The God's" though[:\]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey LT,

Try Carbolite Foods Chocolate bars.  They are sweetened with Splenda.  You can find them at Walgreens.  Read the back of the bar, and they tell about Net Effective Carbs.  You can read up on this at alt.support.diet.low-carb.  
Some folks can keep losing weight while eating these, and some can't.  
I'm one of the lucky ones.  From 250 to 220 this year on Atkins, and off all my Meds but the Arthritis pill.  Cut that by 1/2.  My doc has my blood checked every 3 weeks, and the cholesterol is just about normal.
Get a cheap Pedometer & track how much you walk.  Walking is good exercise, & easier on the knees.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#39]
DIET means your eating pattern.
Dr. Atkins is 100% correct.

Carbohydrates are VERY VERY VERY VERY bad for you.  In excess (approx 50-100g/day) your body starts to become resistant to insulin.  This causes more problems.  It is easy to consume >500g per day!
I happen to be hypoglycemic since just after college.  Because of this, Atkins' diet has changed my life.  I lost 50lbs in 4 months, and the only reason I gained some back(not all thank god!) is because I STOPPED the diet and went to a high-carb diet again.  The reasons - peer pressure and depression (broke up with fiance).  My step mom, friends, etc, all think that carbs are good and fat is bad.  The food prepared aon the holidays would be rationed out to me on purpose, so that I could not eat more than a few slices of turkey.  I was forced to eat vegetables and bread.  Every restaurant pads their meals with cheap carbs.  Besides beef jerky at the 7-11, what kinds of snack foods do they have???  Everyone is brainwashed into believing this fat is bad and carbs are good.  Fat is only bad when eaten with carbs.  My doctor took blood tests every 2 weeks during that 50lb weight loss.  I ate a lot of food too!!  My cholesterol was super-low.  Kinda contradictory to the school of thought there, but that also explains why vegetarians can have cholesterol problems.
My cholesterol went up the next year from when I had stopped the diet and I only gained 10lbs that year when I was eating sugary desserts, chips, etc again.
I have, since daylight savings day, lost 15lbs and am full force Atkins again!  I can go long periods of time without eating now.  I also do not get the shakes and flu-like symptoms from blood-sugar swings!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#40]
LT- are you using Ketostix to monitor your progress?
I have been on DARK purple (80-160ppm) since daylight savings started...

PS: CAFFEINE SLOWS THE RESULTS!  I learned this by watching how my body reacted during the first time I did this diet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anything that relies on shocking your liver into ketosis in order to work doesn't seem like a good idea for the long haul.

View Quote

THAT is a sharpshooter statement because this man hit the bullseye!

I went on it and ended up in the Dr's office with pains and digestive problems. Had to be on meds for a few months too.

EXCERCISE and EAT RIGHT.... WHAT A CONCEPT. Worked for me before so it HAS to work again.

Dr Atkins Diet may work for some as it may not work for others. I am on the "NOT" list.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Lord trader, Give the Atkins plan more time.  Try to not concentrate on the weight loss.  You will be loosing fat, and your pants size will decrease.  Beware of hidden carbs. It is very much an all or nothing thing.  Once you get fully into ketosis, you will find you have little or no appetite, and your cravings will go away.  Drink ALOT of water, and take supplements.  You will loose weight with or without workouts.

You will also feel great.  I lost 20 lbs in the past month, and have discovered alot of new recipies.  Michelobe ULTRA is a godsend!

To those who put down Atkin, you don't have any real understanding.

The human body stores fat for when it is needed, you are simply tricking it into thinking that it is needed. It gets burned for energy, when you reach your target weight, you eat the same normal healthy diet that people have eaten for the past 500,000 years (excepting the last 100 years). Nothing could be more simple or natural.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

THAT is a sharpshooter statement because this man hit the bullseye!

I went on it and ended up in the Dr's office with pains and digestive problems. Had to be on meds for a few months too.

EXCERCISE and EAT RIGHT.... WHAT A CONCEPT. Worked for me before so it HAS to work again.

Dr Atkins Diet may work for some as it may not work for others. I am on the "NOT" list.
View Quote

Exercise is fine.
Eat right - that is the problem here!  EATING RIGHT MEANS ELIMINATING MANY (not necessarily all) CARBOHYDRATES FROM THE DIET.  This is where everyone is confused.
I know diabetics who no longer take insulin shots because they are doing the Atkins diet.

Self discipline - easy for skinny people to say.  With hypoglycemia I get [b]SEVERE[/b] cravings and the only thing to set it right is carbohydrates which creates an seemingly endless cycle.  The key here is to not crave carbohydrates, and to do that, you must complete the induction phase of the Atkins' diet, then slowly increase them to find your limit.

Hypoglycemia:
n : abnormally low blood sugar usually resulting from excessive insulin or a poor diet

When I eat carbohydrates, my body cranks out too much insulin because my body's cells have built up a resistance to insulin.  I get the shakes really bad and want to kill to eat carbohydrates ASAP!  Sound like a drug addiction?

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The human body stores fat for when it is needed, you are simply tricking it into thinking that it is needed. It gets burned for energy, when you reach your target weight, you eat the same normal healthy diet that people have eaten for the past 500,000 years (excepting the last 100 years). Nothing could be more simple or natural.
View Quote

Not only that, your body most likely releases more fat than it thinks it may need.  So you may have excess to flush away!
I hear they are developing this fat-releasing hormone into a pill.  This would be cool, pop the pill, shed the weight!

But still, it is a good idea to reduce carbs with or without the magic pill because insulin can still cause problems as your body becomes resistant to it!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Maybe just do the modified one I do. Cut out the sugar and the caffeine. The weight loss is slower but I miss my starches too much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of going on the Adkins diet for awhile now(6'2 230 lbs) but I got through a keg of Michelob every 2 weeks. I don't know if I can give up "The Nectur Of The God's" though[:\]
View Quote

Damn man you are 6'2 thats not bad for that weight!   I'm 5'11 and 220 and people tell me I'm just right! But I still want my 57 year old body to be 197 and pure mussel!

Just know if what you are is within the 20% body fat ratio(I live with it as I can't grow any taller)

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Dont feel down LT, you can still be losing fat, and gaining weight. Id do as some others have suggested, get some ketosis monitoring sticks.
I started Atkins after seeing one of my customers after not seeing the guy for over a year, he lost 160 lbs!!!! i didnt recognise him. He used to be dependant on Insulin, heart meds, and was on his way to an early death, now the guy is off insulin, blood pressure is normal, and he exercises every day!! The next day i started Atkins, and since then (Oct 30 2002) ive lost 45 lbs. Im close to the weight i left the Infantry as.
Although Atkins isnt for everyone, my Fiance was having headaches, and not feeling right, so she gave up.
OH, and i see your addicted to choclate also, ive found some great sugar free choclates that i eat everyday, Carbolite choclates, and Atkins bars can be found in Wal-Mart, and if you have HI-Heath stores in Tx, they have a huge assortment of Low carb foods.
excess carbs and sugars are the devil!!!!
Good luck LT, and feel free to drop me an email with any questions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#48]
....and also, drink LOTS of water!!! stay away from sodas and sugar free drinks with aspartame (sp?)
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I kind of Eyeballed the Atkins Diet for about 4 months.  First few weeks, I was pretty good--watched the Carbs closely.  Got to the point I was throwing ketones in the urine.  

Tapered off after a while.  

Total Weight Loss was 25 lbs.  Gained 10 lbs back from eating a bunch of carbs over a month period.  However, I am now maintaining the 15 lb net loss, but am seriously thinking about starting again--I was not too good about keeping off the caffeine while I was on the diet.

I will second (or third) the comment(s) about the extra energy you have when you are on the diet--you don't have the highs and lows, you have a nice, constant energy level.

For those who don't count Carbs-the initial phase is 20 gms/ day.  That is about 1 slice of bread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I occasionally eat Hershey bars with almonds.  There are only 20g of carbohydrates in the entire bar.  Now most other candy bars say serving size 1/3 bar, etc and they are very high in carbohydrates.

[b]If you are a chocoholic - break a hershey bar up into the little rectangle pieces and eat a piece.  Or get some halloween candy or hershey kisses.  The halloween bag has the nutritional info on it so you can even eat the otehr types of candy like krackle, etc.  The key here is to "stop" after a piece.[/b]

Quoted:
Dont feel down LT, you can still be losing fat, and gaining weight. Id do as some others have suggested, get some ketosis monitoring sticks.
I started Atkins after seeing one of my customers after not seeing the guy for over a year, he lost 160 lbs!!!! i didnt recognise him. He used to be dependant on Insulin, heart meds, and was on his way to an early death, now the guy is off insulin, blood pressure is normal, and he exercises every day!! The next day i started Atkins, and since then (Oct 30 2002) ive lost 45 lbs. Im close to the weight i left the Infantry as.
Although Atkins isnt for everyone, my Fiance was having headaches, and not feeling right, so she gave up.
OH, and i see your addicted to choclate also, ive found some great sugar free choclates that i eat everyday, Carbolite choclates, and Atkins bars can be found in Wal-Mart, and if you have HI-Heath stores in Tx, they have a huge assortment of Low carb foods.
excess carbs and sugars are the devil!!!!
Good luck LT, and feel free to drop me an email with any questions.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top