Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 2:26:56 PM EDT
First I quit after the lawsuit, all I need is legal problems.

Second I dont see any difference between going to your house and tape recording your album (legal) and downloading it from your computer to mine(illegal). None.

Now,

In light of the latest legal decision the other day, I aint scared of them anymore. But...

Is there any 'safe' anonymous way/sites to download music?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
[url=http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/catalog/servlet/MainServlet] maybe this[/url]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Well since I didnt say free, I will cite the word 'anonymous' and say not quite. [;)]

Besides, ChinaMart has G rated versions of some songs I wanna hear the original versions of, and no versions of some I want to hear.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC....

the first situation you pose is not legal. Copying your buddy's tape is not legal. However, makign a backup of your own tape is fair use.

I download music. If i like it, i buy the album. Seems fair enough. You get to drive a new car before you buy it. You get to try on a pair of shoes before you buy em. Why should i spend $15 on a cd only to find out it sucks?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
so.... who, for a fee, still makes music available in MP3 format (not .asf, .wma, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Napster is back in a different way.  You can buy Napster cards at places that give you access to their pay site.  You buy a card for $12 and you get to download 15 songs that you just put on your comp or they burn to disk and send you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
That whole peer to peer file sharing creeped me out, maybe I did not understand it right-- you let someone into your computer to copy your music files, so would they not be able to do other things inside of it ???
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I understand it, you are illegally downloading music that you don't already "own".  I download music I have already paid copyright laws on by buying their album, single, compilation or other media with the song on it.

Downloading it is simply a way to save me time from having to insert 400++ CD's in to my machine.

Further, should any music industry asshole come hunting me down I will make sure I have ORIGINAL CD's available for their attorneys upon notification of a lawsuit.

I am allowed to use AND copy the songs as I see fit, so long as it is for MY PERSONAL USE.

As far as anonymous sources for download.....well I'm just not sure, but I use Morpheus.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Morpheus ---
Editor's note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end-user license agreement and installation options. For more information, read Download.com's guide to adware.
View Quote

Like I said it creeps me out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Morpheus ---
Editor's note: This download includes additional applications bundled with the software's installer file. Third-party applications bundled with this download may record your surfing habits, deliver advertising, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Pay close attention to the end-user license agreement and installation options. For more information, read Download.com's guide to adware.
View Quote

Like I said it creeps me out.
View Quote

I run ad-aware and spybot.....as well as a couple propreitary company solutions for "bug" killing.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IIRC....

the first situation you pose is not legal. Copying your buddy's tape is not legal. However, makign a backup of your own tape is fair use.

View Quote
Not legal in the us but suprisinly legal in canada of course they pay a TAX on all recordable cd media.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top