Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:07:02 AM EDT
Whats with the Dow and the huge point swings ?I can understand the drops but why the gains,Would it not be better if the Gov just let the market find it's bottom ? Well after the election anyway
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Whats with the Dow and the huge point swings ?I can understand the drops but why the gains,Would it not be better if the Gov just let the market find it's bottom ? Well after the election anyway

The market does seem rather volatile, doesn't it? I'm anxious to hear the answers...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Gold took a nice little jump around 10:30 this morning.  Was some bad economic data released?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Because there's a lot of speculation right now, the government spending can't be sustained so you have a lot of back and forth deliberation.  Shit's gonna hit rock bottom either way, but those who are used to living lives in comfort will take a softer fall by delaying it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Gold took a nice little jump around 10:30 this morning.  Was some bad economic data released?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You know...   I am no expert - but I wonder how much has to do with simply the dissemination of information.   We all see GDP numbers released and talk about the effects of government "stimulus," we see Ford's profit margins and know it's job cuts and CFC.   We see shipping down/up and back again depending on the data used.

Perhaps there are big moves going on, but different managers (meaning the bigger funds, etc) are trying different plays based on differing opinions on what's next.  THat's why one guy on Bloomberg says the recession is over, the next guy on Breitbart says "watch out for the double-dip" and then we have other guys arguing over V or U shapes, etc.

Then again, maybe Goldmann Sach's is just trying to make some money and contributing to the volatility with HFTrades?

I doubt these swings are from the "little guys" on E-trade buying 10 stocks at a time over lunch.  

ETA:  if I had to wager, I'd say the DJIA swings are mostly goldmann sachs conning the markets.   I'd say gold probably has a lot to do with China and large banking institutions moving into and out of dollars versus PM's.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]
We are teetering on some important technical levels right now...if they break through on the downside watch out (atleast short term)

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I need to figure out when to jump back in. Of course I could just wait until the end of the year then play the historical averages game.
Than again this could be the big dive and I should stay out for a long long time.
Whatever is gonna happen playing the markets now is not for the faint of heart.
It sure gives me the willies....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

India's Central Bank purchases 200 metric tons of Gold

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#9]
dow isn't tanking today.... only down 30 pts................
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I need to figure out when to jump back in. Of course I could just wait until the end of the year then play the historical averages game.
Than again this could be the big dive and I should stay out for a long long time.

I don't invest in the market so i am not and expert but if a person doesnt know how are why it works as it does why invest in it?

Also Gold Why is it so high is there really that much of a need for it in manufacturing ?where does it's value come from? Now food,Guns and ammo I can understand the value in that
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dow isn't tanking today.... only down 30 pts................

Just refering to recent swings in the market .
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't invest in the market so i am not and expert but if a person doesnt know how are why it works as it does why invest in it?

Also Gold Why is it so high is there really that much of a need for it in manufacturing ?where does it's value come from? Now food,Guns and ammo I can understand the value in that

Excellent question.
Best I can come up with is simply an item is only worth what you can get for it and since so many people want gold (for whatever reason) its value will hold up. The value of gold is quite historical and as such should be considered a very safe bet to hold value.
In a nutshell, you ain't buying gold, you are buying the belief that gold will still be treasured by many people and they will be willing to pay a high price for it when everything else falls apart.
Funny ain't it?
Just my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent question.
Best I can come up with is simply an item is only worth what you can get for it and since so many people want gold (for whatever reason) its value will hold up. The value of gold is quite historical and as such should be considered a very safe bet to hold value.
In a nutshell, you ain't buying gold, you are buying the belief that gold will still be treasured by many people and they will be willing to pay a high price for it when everything else falls apart.
Funny ain't it?
Just my 2 cents.

So if the Economy crashes even further a OZ of gold could be traded for a loaf of bread?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent question.

Funny ain't it?

Just my 2 cents.

So if the Economy crashes even further a OZ of gold could be traded for a loaf of bread?

Gold is pretty.  People have always and will always like pretty.

When we were on the gold standard back in the 30s.....an ounce of gold sold for $32 and you could buy a really good suit with it.

When gold hit $300 an ounce........you could buy a really good suit with an ounce of it.

Now that gold has reached $1100 an ounce.........you can buy a really good suit with an ounce of it.

If back in the 30s you kept that $32 dollars in your pocket until today......you could use it to buy a couple of loaves of bread.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent question.
Funny ain't it?
Just my 2 cents.

When we were on the gold standard back in the 30s.....an ounce of gold sold for $32 and you could buy a really good suit with it.

When gold hit $300 an ounce........you could buy a really good suit with an ounce of it.

Now that gold has reached $1100 an ounce.........you can buy a really good suit with an ounce of it.

If back in the 30s you kept that $32 dollars in your pocket until today......you could use it to buy a couple of loaves of bread.

Good point ! Isn't the true value of gold the cost of mining it + profit?   BTW I almost never wear good suits.but I almost always eat bread for dinner .
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Is this the same DOW tanking thread that I see everyday??    Dupe.......... Dupe....... Dupe...... Dupe......

I think it is almost time to start shorting Gold.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is this the same DOW tanking thread that I see everyday??    Dupe.......... Dupe....... Dupe...... Dupe......

No this is a different one!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Post proof when you actually get the balls to do it.....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent question.
Funny ain't it?
Just my 2 cents.

Wow, bread must be expensive in your neck of the woods.  I can find it for less than $2 a loaf here.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Gold is at another all-time high. Yet the dollar is going up today. That's... interesting.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gold is at another all-time high. Yet the dollar is going up today. That's... interesting.

So what does it mean to you?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what does it mean to you?

I'm not really sure. Its just one day, but that's very strange. Gold is usually inverse to the dollar. There's incredible demand for it if its still going up in spite of the dollar going up.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#23]
My BFF Sherrick says everything is great!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Real assets like precious metals and agriculture are far safer bets than anything else.  Everything else is poised to crash, silver is still relatively cheap for now.  If you wanted to buy into some company cheap and double-triple up in fairly short term I think your time has passed, but that's just my take.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent question.

Funny ain't it?

Just my 2 cents.

Good point ! Isn't the true value of gold the cost of mining it + profit?   BTW I almost never wear good suits.but I almost always eat bread for dinner .

I guess my point is........gold does not gain or lose value over the long term and if you don't wear suits....don't buy it.  Especially if you like bread.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gold took a nice little jump around 10:30 this morning. Was some bad economic data released?
http://www.kitco.com/images/live/t24_au_en_usoz_home.gif

India's Central Bank purchases 200 metric tons of Gold

<a style="CURSOR: hand; COLOR: #333333" onclick="javascript:window.open('charts/24hoursspot.html','DailySilverChart','location=1,status=1,scrollbars=1,width=700,height=570')">
</a>
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#27]
And in other News the price of gasoline continues to rise, although demand is decreased....

Im running off now to call for my "gold kit" from Cash for Gold!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top