Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/28/2006 6:51:26 PM EST
So my brother-in-law is building his house in Browns county, the code says his French doors must open in, not out. Here in California I have seen them go bothways depending on what works better for the plan..

Why the code?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:52:16 PM EST
Hinges
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:52:26 PM EST
Easier for the JBTs to break open and enter two at a time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:52:43 PM EST
tag
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:53:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By kitwulfen:
Easier for the JBTs to break open and enter two at a time.

+1

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:54:20 PM EST
So firefighters and SWAT can break the doors in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:55:07 PM EST
Both, if you have a screen door/storm door on the outside, then the main door must open inward.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:55:11 PM EST
In south Florida, the code now states they must open OUT as a defense against hurricanes.

I DESPISE doors that open out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:56:55 PM EST
Really breaking in is the only thing I could come up with too..

Cuz for security and safety it would be better for the people inside if the doors opened out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:58:28 PM EST
If the opens out, the person on the outside could pull the hinge pins and remove the door. Not very secure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:59:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By CWDraco:
Really breaking in is the only thing I could come up with too..

Cuz for security and safety it would be better for the people inside if the doors opened out.

unless your behind the door trying to keep someone out by holding it closed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:59:29 PM EST
If it snowed too much you couldn't easily dig yourself out.

But in CA or Fla??
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:59:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2006 7:03:54 PM EST by Top_prop]

In south Florida, the code now states they must open OUT as a defense against hurricanes.

I don't live in south florida, but I doubt the code says that.... what I do know code says is specifications that must be met, and a manufacturer must meet them and get it certified by and indepenant engineering firm and then request an issuance of a FL product approval code...

So what may be more accurate is that no body manufactures a door that has a FL product approval code for High Velocity Huricane Zones that swings in...

I've bought and installed plenty of French doors that swing in up here in NW florida... and they have FL codes...

ETA and inregards to the original poster, I'd suspect they are either trying to help you secure your home by having the hinges on the inside, enforcing a convention on homes as a requirement, or they have some standard that no one who manufactures a outswing french door has been able to meet...

Better yet, what is your source of this. If its a contractor, he's probably lieing as he doesn't want to do the work (its common to say they are very expensive or don't meet code when a contractor doesn't want to do it).
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:01:15 PM EST

So my brother-in-law is building his house in Browns county, the code says his French doors must open in, not out. Here in California I have seen them go bothways depending on what works better for the plan..

Why the code?

A lot of things go both ways in CA.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:05:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2006 7:06:54 PM EST by Paveway_]
Kinda hard to baricade outward opening doors isnt it?

Edit:
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:09:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Paveway_:

Edit:

Kinda hard to kick in a door that swings out!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:10:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By DasRonin:

Edit:

GET BOTH!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:11:47 PM EST
In case of fire doors that open in cannot be blocked from the outside by falling debris, etc.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:15:33 PM EST

Better yet, what is your source of this. If its a contractor, he's probably lieing as he doesn't want to do the work (its common to say they are very expensive or don't meet code when a contractor doesn't want to do it).

He's doing it himself with others. His wife doesnt want the doors to go "in" since it will block the Hallway on the right. The doors open to an enclosed patio/spa area. Since there are other doors that open to the outside and there isnt any way for snow to block it...I dont see the point?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:19:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By 3rdpig:
In case of fire doors that open in cannot be blocked from the outside by falling debris, etc.

I have seen a lot of fire scenes, never seen where a door that swings out was blocked by debris.

Under most life/safety regs on commercial/public building the doors MUST swing out. When people evacuate, an out swinging door speed egress. Look around... see many swing in doors on an emergency egress door on public buildings?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:25:15 PM EST

Why the code?

Yeah, that's a shock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:33:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dieselman:
If the opens out, the person on the outside could pull the hinge pins and remove the door. Not very secure.

Not true at all. Look at the doors in a lot of high security facilities. Very often they swing outward so that they'll better resist battering. Unless you have hinges that are complete garbage, pulling the pins won't allow you to move the door to gain access because the security pins on the inside of the hinge will prevent that. The doors in my office and my house both open outwards. You're welcome to try to pull the pins to get in, but you'll be wasting your time.z
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:38:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By 3rdpig:

I have seen a lot of fire scenes, never seen where a door that swings out was blocked by debris.

Under most life/safety regs on commercial/public building the doors MUST swing out. When people evacuate, an out swinging door speed egress. Look around... see many swing in doors on an emergency egress door on public buildings?

Cocanut Grove fire...

"As is common in panic situations, many patrons attempted to exit through the main entrance, the same way they had come in. However, the building's main entrance was a single revolving door, immediately rendered useless as the panicked crowd scrambled for safety. Bodies piled up behind both sides of the revolving door, jamming it to the extent that firefighters had to dismantle in order to get inside. Other avenues of escape were similarly useless: side doors had been welded shut to prevent people from leaving without settling their bills. A plate glass window, which could have been smashed for escape, was instead boarded up and unusable as an emergency exit. Other unlocked doors opened inwards, rendering them useless against the crush of people trying to escape. Fire officials later testified that, had the doors swung outwards, at least 300 lives could have been spared. Many young soldiers perished in the disaster, as well as a married couple whose wedding had taken place earlier that day."

"In the year that followed the fire, Massachusetts and other states enacted laws for public establishments which banned flammable decorations and inward-swinging exit doors, required exit signs to be visible at all times, and stated that revolving doors used for egress must either be flanked by at least one normal, outward-swinging door, or retrofitted to permit the invidual doors to fold flat to permit free-flowing traffic in a panic situation."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:41:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Top_prop:
Better yet, what is your source of this.

The fact I lived in South Florida for 8.5 years, and the front door of every single new house opens outward.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:43:47 PM EST
Easier for the JBT's to open.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:46:04 PM EST
I never heard of this rule but I would guess for the JBTS
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:46:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:

Why the code?

Yeah, that's a shock.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:51:55 PM EST
They open in because.........When your buddies bring you home drunk and lean against the front door, then knock and run.....you fall inwards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:22:53 PM EST

Soss hinges.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:25:53 PM EST
I find it hard to believe you are regulated as to which way your fucking door opens.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:31:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By zoom:

Not true at all. Look at the doors in a lot of high security facilities. Very often they swing outward so that they'll better resist battering. Unless you have hinges that are complete garbage, pulling the pins won't allow you to move the door to gain access because the security pins on the inside of the hinge will prevent that. The doors in my office and my house both open outwards. You're welcome to try to pull the pins to get in, but you'll be wasting your time.z

+1
High security hinges have set screws that lock in the pins.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:35:25 PM EST
In-turning doors allow you to bar them or up blocks up under the doorknob.

Watch The Big Lebowski about the perils of out-turning doors.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:37:44 PM EST
In high winds doors that open out will be ripped from your hands and will break the door off the hinges.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:38:53 PM EST
If you have outward opening doors and you are worried about somone pulling the pins, try this... it is an easy fix.

[img=img139.imageshack.us/img139/6580/img0011kv8.th.jpg]

Drill into the jam, screw in a large wood screw and grind off the head. Then drill through the other side of the hinge so it will close.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:39:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By CousinIT50:

Edit:

GET BOTH!!!

Get the safe door that opens outwards, but looks like a normal door that opens inwards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:47:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2006 8:48:43 PM EST by Scollins]
Just have him build the doors so that they swing in for the final inspection, but then easily changed to swing out after you have your sign off. They'll never come back and "double check." I'm sure that happens all the time......
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:37:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Scollins:
Just have him build the doors so that they swing in for the final inspection, but then easily changed to swing out after you have your sign off. They'll never come back and "double check." I'm sure that happens all the time......

+1 Happens all the time in construction.
Top Top