Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 5:51:57 PM EDT
Wife returned to her car today to discover an 18 inch "door ding" in the passenger side.  The person responsible left no note and left the scene.  You have got to love the responsibility of folks these days.  Grrrr.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That's one side of the story.

Had it happen before, it does suck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh, the stupid bitch that parks next to me has door dinged my car I swear to god 20 times.  Thank god it has those little strips down the side to protect the door cuz there are about 15 gashes in the paint and dings on the motherfucker.  Then, I got swiped by something cuz my front bumper on the very right is scuffed as is my back right wheelwell.

Cant have anything fucking semi-decent in this world anymore without someone screwing it up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
18 inches is more than a "ding."  Ouch.

Who causes most door dings are very fat people who cannot exit a vehicle without forcing the door as wide open as possible and leaning on it.

The first time I catch one of these fat, mart-cart riding fucks doing this to my car, I am going to give them such a humiliating public tongue lashing that they won't even feel like eating that half gallon of Haagen Dazs they just bought.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Cant have anything fucking semi-decent in this world anymore without someone screwing it up.

I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again...  Stress out too much worrying about the other inconsiderate shitheads parking.  At least with just a decent car, I don't care so much.  

ETA: Not really other inconsiderate shitheads, I'm always very careful opening the door.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Well...it would have just been a door ding.  Today we had 35-45 mph winds.  I can see the person open their car door...lose their grip as the door becomes a sail and WHAMMO - 18" door ding.  It just sucks that its a new enough car that it should be fixed and I'm gonna have to pay the deductible rather than dropping it on the offending drivers insurance.  (Provided they had any...)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Trying to avoid any new additions to my door ding collection...

I prefer to select a parking space to the right side of any other vehicle present - Or in the rightmost space in the parking lot. While there's a 100 percent chance of the vehicle next to me having a driver, the chances of it also having a passenger are considerably less.

The space immediately next to a handicapped space is also a prime spot - 99 percent of the time, the handicapped space remains empty.

Many parking lots have one or more spots located next to unusable "dead" spaces (due to the presence of a streetlight, commercial sign or wheelchair access ramp). These can be great spots for avoiding door dings, particularly if you park as close as possible to the unusable side.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Who causes most door dings are very fat people who cannot exit a vehicle without forcing the door as wide open as possible and leaning on it.

The first time I catch one of these fat, mart-cart riding fucks doing this to my car, I am going to give them such a humiliating public tongue lashing that they won't even feel like eating that half gallon of Haagen Dazs they just bought.

Or it could be Assholes who don't know how to park.

Last prick that parked 4 inches off my drivers door was rewarded with me taking my Buck Strider knife, laying it flat against their car and scraping a 2 inch wide swath of paint halfway down their car.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#8]
People don't know how to fucking drive or operate ANYTHING nowadays. It's like they have absolutely no coordination at all.  

Someone bashed their door into the side of my jeep and fucked it up last week
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My insurance company says that unless I can prove how it happened, it will be counted against my collision insurance with a 1000 deductible instead of my subtantially lower comprehensive deductible.  They suggested contacting walmart for the security camera footage.

WalMart refused as said footage could only be released to a police officer through a valid police report.  So...I call the police to file a report.  2 hrs later a black and white car being driven by a guy no more than 20yrs old pulls up and takes the report and snaps some digital photos.  He gives us his name and the report number and states that "I'll just list in my report that it looked like a shopping cart hit your car and that's all your insurance will need".

So ...its obvious to me that the damage is NOT from a shopping cart because it has red paint on it.  I'm a little pissed off that he's so quick to sign off on a report without finding out the truth.  Ideally, he could have FOUND the car that did the damage and nailed the person responsible.  (Walmart had a camera RIGHT IN FRONT of the car.)

Now I'm pissed about the car and the apathetic attitude of the cop and offending driver.  (I'm sure the cop had real criminal complaints to follow up but I'd rather him follow up on my complaint than sit for 30 minutes for a simple traffic ticket.)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]
This is why I drive my beater car to stores, then I don't care if it gets dinged to shit, thats the least of its worries

With my Jeep, I just usually park farther away where there are less cars... odds are the inconsiderate prick who dings doors is also lazy and will do the "parking lot cruise" looking for the nearest fucking possible parking space to the store's front doors.

ETA: Try not to park next to 2-door cars, those doors are freaking LOOOONG!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
18 inches is more than a "ding."  Ouch.

If someone reads this and keeps glancing over at your avatar, it compounds the funny factar by about X5

... I agree as well
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn! you got a cop out to your house over a door ding?

I've had truck loads of tools stolen out of my work truck/van,smashed windows and all.

Call it in and all they will tell you is to come down and get a file #.

That's impressive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was a young punk and drove a complete POS old beater ('77 Ford Thunderbird), I used to love to park right by the really nice cars that people would park WAY out in the parking lot. Porsches, Corvettes, Caddies, etc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last prick that parked 4 inches off my drivers door was rewarded with me taking my Buck Strider knife, laying it flat against their car and scraping a 2 inch wide swath of paint halfway down their car.

I have a feeling that isn't exactly legal

In before the BS addition to the story about how they didn't just park close but they scratched your car too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I sold my CTS because door dings, rock chips and the possibility of more was too stressful.  

I always park 3 or more spaces beyond the last car in the lot.  I need the exercise anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah...I was expecting to go down and fill out the report.  Guess thats what I get for living in a "small town" out in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I went out to our local (Very rural.) grocery store today.  Parked my nice new truck at the end of the lot so no one would park next to it.  I come back out and a woman in a rusty ass POS car is parked right next to me and her child opens the door into my truck.  There was no damage except a small scratch that will buff out, but I was pissed.  It was just a kid that didn't know better so I didn't make a big deal out of it. But damn it still pissed me off.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#19]
The next car I purchase will definitely have something that prevents dings to the door.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
People that let their grocery carts run all the way across the parking lot and scratch my car piss me the fuck off.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I was a young punk and drove a complete POS old beater ('77 Ford Thunderbird), I used to love to park right by the really nice cars that people would park WAY out in the parking lot. Porsches, Corvettes, Caddies, etc.

Dang that was you ... would saying I was sorry for flattening two of your tires make it better? Sorry.

No worries, I always got the used tires (probably off the "rich" Cadillac folk) from the tire store. They'd drive them til the treads didn't cover Abe's head anymore, then I'd drive them until the belts showed. I think it was about $10 mounted and balanced. Oh, the good ol' days. There weren't disposal fees, either. I think they just took them out back and burned them back then.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Wow.

So, if somebody parks a bit too close to your vehicle, you feel justified in damaging theirs?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Thats why I like Jeeps. When you've got them set up right theres nothing but rubber and plate steel all around. Go ahead and ram your door into it, see if I care!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a "door ding" put in my car once and by door ding I mean someone fucking smashed into the front of my PARKED CAR in the middle of the night and caused about 2k in damage. Needed a new bumper, new hood, and new driver side headlight and turn signal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I had just sold my first new car here in California - no dents, dings, or rust and bought a brand new SUV for my move to Washington State. They were a bit cheaper down here and I needed the extra towing and space for all the guns and ammo.

I arrived in Washington State and the wife just HAD to stop for food. With 1800 pounds of guns and ammo in the truck we wouldn't eat in a sit-down place for fear of getting ripped off. So we pulled into a McD's and were eating in the car when a whale of a woman driving a whale of a car parked next to us. Her "charming" six year old used both legs to kick her door open into my truck's door. She grabbed the girl and dashed off into the bathroom - and then staid there for 20-minutes while I waited outside for her. I was in the state for less than two hours and already had done more damage to one of my cars then in the previous 8 years. It cost me $120 for a paintless door ding guy to remove my welcome present.

The rest of the stay in Washington was fine except for the daily non-stop rain storms.

that six year old would have caught a beatdown from me for that shit
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Thats Why I drive a $100 car.......
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel you, I just got 2 dings this week, you think soemone left an note or something, hell no. Pretty damn funny to I think. When I lived in an apartment this peice of crap neighbor parked like 2 milimeters from my drivers door, Oh I was pissed and to make it even better he put a huge ass ding in my car to. Well his car which was kinda nice recieved some attention. Then like 2 days later I heard him bitching because soemone dinged his car.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
Well...it would have just been a door ding.  Today we had 35-45 mph winds.  I can see the person open their car door...lose their grip as the door becomes a sail and WHAMMO - 18" door ding.

My mom had that happen to her she was opening her car door and about to get in when a huge gust of wind blew her car door ou tof her hand and into the brand new PT Cruiser next to her. Of course she had the decency to go inside and find out whos car it was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top