Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/2/2011 7:57:34 AM EDT
In a CBS4 exclusive, the boy told us, "I was feeling terrible about what happened during an argument with a classmate. My classmate called me Haitian. And I called him Haitian. The teacher came in and called me Haitian. And told me to stand up.”

That’s what he did.

"I felt embarrassed. So I just did my punishment,” the student told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench.

hahahahahaha

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:03:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2011 8:06:47 AM EDT by SuperJanitor]
HOMESTEAD (CBS4) – CBS4 has learned a 4th grade teacher at a Lincoln-Marti school in Homestead has been suspended after a 9-year-old, African-American student said the teacher called him “Haitian” and told him to stand up in front of the class."

“I was shocked that this happened in school with a teacher. That’s not something you send your kids to school for. He has a first name and a last name. He doesn’t need to be addressed by his ethnicity or his race, just his first name and his last name.”

So, how long before they complain about being called "african-american"?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:05:00 AM EDT
Hey you, stand up....

What do you mean by "you"
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:08:55 AM EDT
You're a Haitian, I'm a Haitian, wouldn't you like to be a Haitian too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:09:36 AM EDT
Is it just me, or is there a bizarre lack of context in that story?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:09:45 AM EDT
is he hatian?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:10:14 AM EDT
I agree, that is not an appropriate way for a teacher to talk to a student.

The mother also sounds like a normal lady. She said she doesn't want the teacher fired, but some sort of discipline should happen.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:10:47 AM EDT
Correct nomenclature in the new world order is "COMRADE"
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:11:02 AM EDT
President, please!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:11:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Max_Power:

Cue "SNAP you got da AIDS" pic!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:12:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By runcible:

I dont feel too bad now Runce...i apparently missed it too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:14:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SuperJanitor:
HOMESTEAD (CBS4) – CBS4 has learned a 4th grade teacher at a Lincoln-Marti school in Homestead has been suspended after a 9-year-old, African-American student said the teacher called him “Haitian” and told him to stand up in front of the class."

“I was shocked that this happened in school with a teacher. That’s not something you send your kids to school for. He has a first name and a last name. He doesn’t need to be addressed by his ethnicity or his race, just his first name and his last name.”

Wouldn't he be a Caribbean-American?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:15:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mcnielsen:
Originally Posted By Max_Power:

Cue "SNAP you got da AIDS" pic!

Remind me sometime to tell the story about the Car accident with oen car (Old Crown Vic) Loaded with NINE hatians, driver with what looked like a pound of coke, and every single ome of them bleeding like a stuck pig..... and US being told that we didnt have the right to know if any of them had HIV, even though about 5 of us, along with the Firemen, and EMS folks were drenched in their blood.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:15:23 AM EDT
We used to call people Haitians to denegrate them when I was in school too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:15:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2011 8:16:19 AM EDT by injun-ear]

As soon as that title widely comes to reflect reality we'll see another evolution in what 'they' want to be called. "African-American" is the sixth such evolution that I can recall in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:16:09 AM EDT
Probably was from the Dominican Republic . Common Mistake.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:17:03 AM EDT
grow a pair you little bastard, it gets worse
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:17:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2011 8:21:01 AM EDT by DangerJ]
Originally Posted By Fields_Overseer:
is he hatian?

In Homestead?

I'll go with Yes

ETA: From the comments:
and_justice_for_all

Orly obviously you have no idea what discrimination is or experienced racism at all or you’re not black. It is a big deal here in America considering the history of Blacks in America so go back and read your history book if you have a library card check one out. Get the point of this story. If people don’t tell their story there would be no news…lol…I don’t think this mother wants attention she just wants parents to be aware of the type of teachers in our system. Teachers spend more time with our children than we do so if they are not teaching them rcorrectly what type of adults would we have in the future. Like my wife always says, “you got to nip it in the butt.” so attention has nothing to do with discrimination and racism. Look the words up in a dictionary and you will see that it describes what this child experienced. So you mean to tell me that when Martin Luther King marched in the streets to try to fight racism, prejudice and discrimination he wanted attention? If you are of Black descent you should be ashame of yourself! People like Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and stories and courage like the mother in this story is what make the difference in this world, specially in America. Somebody has to speak up for change to be made. If she wanted attention she would had revealed her identity and her childs identity don’t you think?

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:19:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2011 8:26:25 AM EDT by SuperJanitor]
Originally Posted By injun-ear:

As soon as thet title comes to reflect reality we'll see another evolution in what 'they' want to be called. "African-American" is the fifth such evolution that I can recall in my lifetime.

The kid probably is not hatian, but I'd bet the farm he's not "african-american" either, he'd have to have dual citizenship for that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:29:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AJK07734:
Originally Posted By runcible:

I dont feel too bad now Runce...i apparently missed it too.

Looks to me that a kid called the "victim" Haitian and then the "victim" called him Haitian back. The teacher hears the "victim" call the other kid Haitian and the "perp/teacher" called him Haitian to teach him a lesson.
If the "victim" can call the other kid Haitian then he has no right to be "hurt" by getting called Haitian himself.
Typical double standard in today's world, all in the name of tolerance and diversity.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:30:26 AM EDT
Haition please!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:32:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Fields_Overseer:
is he hatian?

Homestead? Pretty good chance
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:09:19 AM EDT
That sounds like something I would do to two kids that are arguing. Some folks need to grow some thicker skin.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:21:50 AM EDT

Well, I WAS going to use a condom.....but then I figured, when I am going to be back in Haiti...

/bad idea jeans
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2011 9:25:49 AM EDT by Agent_Funky]
Originally Posted By injun-ear:

As soon as thet title comes to reflect reality we'll see another evolution in what 'they' want to be called. "African-American" is the fifth such evolution that I can recall in my lifetime.

The kid probably is not hatian, but I'd bet the farm he's not "african-american" either, he'd have to have dual citizenship for that.

And Africa would have to be Country not a Continent. You can't be a citizen of a Continent can you? It's not like Continents issue passports.

Are African Americans in Canada refered to African Americans or African Canadians?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:43:58 AM EDT

They need to sit down and shut up. They're either African/Mexican/Whatever OR American,. not both.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:58:39 AM EDT
Future felon hows that!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:00:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shack357:
HOMESTEAD (CBS4) – CBS4 has learned a 4th grade teacher at a Lincoln-Marti school in Homestead has been suspended after a 9-year-old, African-American student said the teacher called him "Haitian” and told him to stand up in front of the class."

"I was shocked that this happened in school with a teacher. That’s not something you send your kids to school for. He has a first name and a last name. He doesn’t need to be addressed by his ethnicity or his race, just his first name and his last name.”

They need to sit down and shut up. They're either African/Mexican/Whatever OR American,. not both.
+1. what am I mutt-american?

Top Top