Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 4:02:42 PM EDT
Petfinder has setup a method for donating funds for displaced dogs and cats as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

If you feel so inclined, please donate.

I did, because I know alot of the people were forced to leave their dogs and cats behind.

For alot of the members here, our pets are family, and I imagine for alot of the familes affected by this disaster losing their pet just adds to the grief. Alot of the organizations on the Petfinder site are hoping to reuinite owners with their pets once things start to settle down.

Thanks.

-mg
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Count me in it is often forgotten what happens to them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 Sometimes a "buddy" is all I needed to get through hard times.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
For someone that lost everything, finding their pet could mean a lot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
te]Quoted:
For someone that lost everything, finding their pet could mean a lot.

Yes, it can.

There's a 6-7 year old SEC tale that I MIGHT post when the statute of limitations is up. It'll show you what pets mean to people.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a worthy cause.  I'd be torn to peices to have to leave my giant shedding machine behind.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thats a worthy cause.  I'd be torn to peices to have to leave my giant shedding machine behind.

www.cranehome.org/albums/the-dog/abq.sized.jpg

Well HE certainly looks just fucking thrilled to be there!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.cranehome.org/albums/the-dog/abq.sized.jpg

Well HE certainly looks just fucking thrilled to be there!

He only maginally puts up with my photo hobby.  He was just too tired to leave while I was bugging him. The expression cracked me up though.

Is this better?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
They interviewed a dog earlier on FNC, and he barked about the food and lack of a ball to play with!!  Here's a picture of him!  Notice anything!?!

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Sad to say, but I feel worse about some of the real animals down there as opposed to the human animals.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sad to say, but I feel worse about some of the real animals down there as opposed to the human animals.

+1

Found this on another site from some girl named Jennifer:

I must be a horrible person, but the footage I've seen of the animals disturbs me almost more than the footage of the people. Tonight there was a big black dog shown on a highway overpass howling. They said he was in shock and wouldn't drink. I think that one bothered me more than anything else I've seen.
Don't get me wrong, I feel deeply for the people. But there is just something about the animals. I think we get desensitized to the people, but the animals, well I always think of my pets being in that situation......

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I know! The other day they mentioned a Vietnamese neighborhood in New Orleans that was flooded, they were having trouble getting food to them...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
When Mrs Pic heard about the woman griping about 'Cowd ahmy food', she blew a fuse. Not one red cent for humans, a generous check for animal assistance.

She and I have YET to see an ungrateful animal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess what really gets me is that animnals really are innocent. they have no choice in the matter.

Sure, there are plenty of innocent people that got caught up in that mess, but dogs especially rely on US for their welfare.

We domesticated them, and now they see us as their leaders. And in times like this it just tears me in two to see how we can leave our most loyal companions behind.

Thanks for the donations guys and girls, its a great cause.

U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer Dan Langdon, of Bravo Company 2-4 Aviation, 4th Infantry Division out of Fort Hood, Texas, comforts a stray dog after landing his Chinook helicopter, Saturday, Sept. 4, 2005 in New Orleans. The Chinook crew is flying missions in support of relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina and was waiting to begin their next mission. (AP Photo/Haraz N. Ghanbari)

A dog tied to the railing of a highway ramp barks in a New Orleans street Saturday, six days after hurricane Katrina hit the city.(AFP/file/Nicholas Kamm)

A dog waits on the side roof of a house to be rescued by workers after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Louisiana. Damage estimates have climbed into the billions of dollars, making Katrina one of the costliest storms ever to hit the United States.(AFP/Getty Images/Chris Graythen)

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Last bump for the doggies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm torn over this one. People come before animals - always - but on the other hand, I know how happy pets can make someone.

Tough call.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm torn over this one. People come before animals - always - but on the other hand, I know how happy pets can make someone.

Tough call.

I agree, but it seems to me tyat there ids plenty of $$ and relief for the victims.

I'm focusing on the animals because sometimes that's all these people have, and they (the animals) look to us for everything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Already sent them money
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Tough call.

Not for me.  Most of the displaced have made life decisions that have them in this mess.  These animals rely on us to take care of them.  

I live in Houston and will be paying enough for these people as it is.

The only money and aid I have donated so far has been to the Houston SPCA.   They really need alot of polaroid film to take photos of each pet.  That film is expensive, almost $1 per photo.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Are there any groups out there that are helping the animals that are not anti-gun?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Are there any groups out there that are helping the animals that are not anti-gun?

BigDozer66

SPCA, Humane Society, and Petfinder don't have any positions on firearms ownership, they just care about helping animals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top