Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:29:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 6:45:23 AM EDT by macman37]
Knock off the CoC violations.

We should all be concerned about the possibility of a large scale terrorist attack. Discuss here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:31:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:

We should all be concerned about the possibility effects of a large scale terrorist attack. Discuss here.

Its not a possibility, it will happen. It is just a matter of when.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:31:48 AM EDT
can we just be concerned about a non existent bird flu pandemic instead?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:33:20 AM EDT
I don't think it's very likely. As I said before the lock, the feds are paid to be paranoid and I am glad they are...but I don't have to be.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:33:45 AM EDT
From the other thread, squeezecockerp7m8's comment to me:

Edit: Another sucky thing is: the patterns the links we've seen show that an attack could happen within a month of the green light. What is happening - a couple miles from a HUGE middle eastern enclave - just over a month from the time the second video aired?

I'll give you a hintsky: It starts with an "S" and rhymes with "Muperbowl XL"

You know, I used to believe that they wouldn't attack Detroit, because so many of them live there...but now I'm not so sure. If they did attack "Detroit", it would have to be downtown, because there are no neighborhoods, so to speak of, except a couple, left to attack in the city. Downtown or one of the Jewish parts of the burbs...like a synagogue maybe...

I have big concerns about some things you mention. I happen to work in the 'burbs, near a large Jewish enclave... There are targets all over the place here, symbolic as well as literal. Downtown is definitely a target in a few weeks due to the Superbowl.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:35:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
I don't think it's very likely. As I said before the lock, the feds are paid to be paranoid and I am glad they are...but I don't have to be.

That's true. I doubt there will be "Teeth of the Tiger" type attacks with guys running in the streets... But, just ensure your gas tanks are topped off and you have a few days' (weeks would be better) worth of food and water. If nothing happens, well, you've got food water and gas for a while.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:37:41 AM EDT

That's true. I doubt there will be "Teeth of the Tiger" type attacks with guys running in the streets... But, just ensure your gas tanks are topped off and you have a few days' (weeks would be better) worth of food and water. If nothing happens, well, you've got food water and gas for a while.

Hell, the county I live in was hit by THREE hurricanes in 2004. I do all that stuff as a matter of course!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:40:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARKAN_the_Tiger:

We should all be concerned about the possibility effects of a large scale terrorist attack. Discuss here.

Its not a possibility, it will happen. It is just a matter of when.

Shocked it hasn't yet to be honest. It's not exactly something that's hard to do. After the AR HTF get together though, if they ever attack Arkansas, we're screwed. I'd be drinking Jack and asking all the cops about killing dogs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:25:32 AM EDT
Bump

New info from Foxnews.com

Alleged New Usama Bin Laden Audiotape Aired
Thursday, January 19, 2006

Al Qaeda Leader Urges Jihad
CAIRO — Al-Jazeera has broadcast an audiotape purportedly from Usama bin Laden, saying Al Qaeda is making preparations for attacks in the United States

I am going to bump my preparation timetable on food and water up to this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:29:36 AM EDT
Well what color code are we at now? Funny how after the election all the chatter coming from the terroist seems to have just magicly died down. Seems like when it was election time we had a terroist scare every time Bush got some bad news. Wonder what they are trying to avert out attention from now? Maybe the Abranoff stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:35:34 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:37:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Scagnettie:
Well what color code are we at now? Funny how after the election all the chatter coming from the terroist seems to have just magicly died down. Seems like when it was election time we had a terroist scare every time Bush got some bad news. Wonder what they are trying to avert out attention from now? Maybe the Abranoff stuff.

Give it a rest. The color code hasn't changed in well over a year now, and last time I recall it changing, it was only for large city transportation systems.

Are you actually trying to say that the government is releasing tapes from Zarqawi and bin Laden to al Jazeera, so they can incite panic in the US?

Brother, you need to ground your tin foil hat. Clearly there is too much static in there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:42:29 AM EDT
Yeah, you are right. Gee, let me just ignore what happend in the past with all the terroist alerts that magicly ended after the election.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:42:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 6:53:59 AM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]

DO NOT HOTLINK TO DU
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:45:02 AM EDT
this pass week has been Dawn of the Trolls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:45:54 AM EDT
Yeah, fitting in is what I live for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:29 AM EDT

Go do whatever it is you do somewhere else. This is a genuine discussion of something that could happen, not a piss-and-moan session about the past.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:54 AM EDT

Then I guess you have nothing left to live for. Can I have your stuff?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:48:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
You'd fit in better here

FYI, we don't hotlink to DU.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:49:02 AM EDT

Then I guess you have nothing left to live for. Can I have your stuff?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your "Arfcom Post Of The Day"
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:50:16 AM EDT
I discussion of what could happen? Me thinks they have cried wolf too much in the past for anyone to take their warnings seriously. Realy, they have rung that bell enough without anything happening. It gets old hearing it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:51:00 AM EDT
Sure, come get my stuff. All my money is in my mattress.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:52:53 AM EDT

I discussion of what could happen? Me thinks they have cried wolf too much in the past for anyone to take their warnings seriously. Realy, they have rung that bell enough without anything happening. It gets old hearing it.

WHO HAS RUNG THE BELL?

You're confusing the government with the terrorists.

Please go away. You're diluting what I hoped would be an informative thread about something that could happen very soon.

Just top off your gas tanks and have some food and water ready, OK?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:54:04 AM EDT

Surfing the SF has added the much needed layers of extra tinfoil and stores of ammo, food and gas. I think if anything does happen I believe it will be on a very limited scale.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:11:47 AM EDT

......... an informative thread about something that could happen very soon.

I have to agree, I don't think Bin would ask for a truce.....it seems to be against his/their nature. It seems like this may be more of a "signal" for attack to the members over here.

I would be very nervous to be at any of the upcoming NFL playoff games..........

To the people out here in ARF land that don't think it could happen on a large scale again, ala 9/11, due to police/government intervention........please reconsider your view.

I am a Police Officer and have access to low level intelligence.....I mean very low level.......that the media and general public does not as part of Homeland Security. We receive fax's at the department regularly that advise us to be on the look out for certain people and things........you would not believe the amount of "hazardous" items that have been stolen in recent months/years that by themselves, let alone combined, could cause a major incident. Do not think that Bin and his boys don't have the capability to cause MAJOR damage over here.

Don't get complacent.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By schv:
Don't get complacent.

Well put, thanks for the post, and be safe.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:25:33 AM EDT

On the other hand, that works to the advantage of some enterprising young terrorist. Make sure you ring the alarm on a regular basis and everyone gets used to it. One day, bang. Bin Laden and crew are not stupid, they play our media and .gov like violins.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:31:31 AM EDT
Though the Super Bowl is a big target in a possibly hostile area, don’t forget that AQ and Osama have a pattern that they follow. They go after the money flow because they understand that with out our economy we crumble, and targets missed the last time. Flight 93 was going somewhere and they will try that target again and all the other targets that were slated for destruction on 9/11 that were stopped by the FAA grounding the planes. The attack(s) will be in L.A., D.C., Las Vegas or New York.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:42:45 AM EDT
It seems like the chatter about a terrorist attack has been ratcheting up quite a lot lately. I've heard numerous different reports about the posibility of some of them being linked to playoff games and/or the superbowl. Any one report by itself doesn't get much notice from me, but when I start hearing multiple different sources saying similar things then I take notice.

I've heard everything from the tin foil conspiracy theory stuff, to more realistic scenarios concerning playoff/superbowl games being targeted or somehow linked to a terrorist attack. If you aren't prepared, I'd take macman's advice and make sure your gas tanks are topped off and that you've got at least a modest supply of food and water.

I'll head back to my SF hole now...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:47:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
They go after the money flow because they understand that with out our economy we crumble....

I think they have realized however, that attacking financial "symbols" does not really cause financial collapse. If I go and blow up a "Edward Jones" building, is it going to bankrupt Edward Jones? No.

A large scale terrorist attack of anykind will destablilize our economy and instill fear in the American public....and if the American public is too scared to go to work, spend money, etc., our economy has collapsed.

For example, if the Superbowl was hit....and you end up with 70,000 casualties......that is going to cause a little panic.........worse yet, a series of well planned and executed attacks on middle america, say in towns of less than 100,000 people in Missouri, Alabama, and Nebraska.......you have then instilled the fear that it can happen to anybody anywhere, and not just NY or LA.........that would paralyze the entire nation.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:13:03 AM EDT
The police need to patrol, if not man, the local schools way more than they are currently doing.

Think about it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:18:54 AM EDT

They go after the money flow because they understand that with out our economy we crumble....

I think they have realized however, that attacking financial "symbols" does not really cause financial collapse. If I go and blow up a "Edward Jones" building, is it going to bankrupt Edward Jones? No.

A large scale terrorist attack of anykind will destablilize our economy and instill fear in the American public....and if the American public is too scared to go to work, spend money, etc., our economy has collapsed.

For example, if the Superbowl was hit....and you end up with 70,000 casualties......that is going to cause a little panic.........worse yet, a series of well planned and executed attacks on middle america, say in towns of less than 100,000 people in Missouri, Alabama, and Nebraska.......you have then instilled the fear that it can happen to anybody anywhere, and not just NY or LA.........that would paralyze the entire nation.

Wrong.

Because nothing scares Americans

­

<­BR>

Except Low Intensity Police Actions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:21:45 AM EDT

While I agree with you that attacks on small town America would have devastating effects on the psyche of America, I was not talking about hitting a brokerage firm. If the NYSE was hit and then the Chicago Mercantile and then the docks at Long Beach and maybe a few bridges across the Mississippi River, that would shut us down in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:27:51 AM EDT

Edit: Another sucky thing is: the patterns the links we've seen show that an attack could happen within a month of the green light. What is happening - a couple miles from a HUGE middle eastern enclave - just over a month from the time the second video aired?

You know, I used to believe that they wouldn't attack Detroit, because so many of them live there...but now I'm not so sure. If they did attack "Detroit", it would have to be downtown, because there are no neighborhoods, so to speak of, except a couple, left to attack in the city. Downtown or one of the Jewish parts of the burbs...like a synagogue maybe...

I have big concerns about some things you mention. I happen to work in the 'burbs, near a large Jewish enclave... There are targets all over the place here, symbolic as well as literal. Downtown is definitely a target in a few weeks due to the Superbowl.

You know, to outsiders many think Detroit in terms of black versus white, but it is much more complicated than that. What burbs do you think would have problems? I'm sure those in Dearborn Heights and Dearborn already know these answers, so we wouldn't be telling them anything they don't know, but am I wrong thinking Livonia and West Bloomfield?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:36:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:
It seems like the chatter about a terrorist attack has been ratcheting up quite a lot lately. I've heard numerous different reports about the posibility of some of them being linked to playoff games and/or the superbowl. Any one report by itself doesn't get much notice from me, but when I start hearing multiple different sources saying similar things then I take notice.

I've heard everything from the tin foil conspiracy theory stuff, to more realistic scenarios concerning playoff/superbowl games being targeted or somehow linked to a terrorist attack. If you aren't prepared, I'd take macman's advice and make sure your gas tanks are topped off and that you've got at least a modest supply of food and water.

I'll head back to my SF hole now...

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about playoff games, because until a few days ago no one knew where they would be played. The SuperBowl has been a known location for a very long time...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:40:08 AM EDT
If these jokers had any resources over here,and had any sense, there are many soft targets that could have been hit,but have not. If their theory of operations is to make single newsworthy attacks only every 5 years (even on the 9/11 scale), then I think we can pretty much write them off as a threat until they get access to nuclear weapons. I'd be much more worried if they could pull off a strategy of many sustainable smaller attacks as seen in Israel,indicating that they had a base of local support. Even in Israel where that base of support exists, they attack in a useless manner,trying only to cause direct casualties in single uncoordinated attacks on restaurants,clubs,etc. It would be much smarter to go with direct attacks on hospitals and rescue facilities,then strike for casulaties after the emergency first responders are neutralized. Or alternatively, attack power generation facilities to indirectly knock out or incapacitate businesses and the workforce as an economic attack.
The terrorists are either being successfully neutralized by our government, or they have horrible strategy,or they're very incompetent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:41:53 AM EDT
I seriously doubt that America will be the victim of a Terrorist attack any time soon.
It has been over 4 years since the last one.

THey would have done something by now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:08:25 AM EDT
They are patient. Do not mistake their lack of doing anything these past few years to mean nothing will happen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:16:23 AM EDT

Wagging the dog was your boy Bubba's specialty.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:19:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:
They are patient. Do not mistake their lack of doing anything these past few years to mean nothing will happen.

+1 The terrorists have been at this much longer than since 9/11/01.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:29:04 AM EDT
I don't believe the government is monitoring radiation levels for their own amusement. These people are incredibly patient.

www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/nest/051222nest.htm
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:35:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By squeezecockerp7m8:

You know, to outsiders many think Detroit in terms of black versus white, but it is much more complicated than that. What burbs do you think would have problems? I'm sure those in Dearborn Heights and Dearborn already know these answers, so we wouldn't be telling them anything they don't know, but am I wrong thinking Livonia and West Bloomfield?

Not at all. West Bloomfield is one, but Southfield is an even bigger target IMHO. Quick access from freeways (direct from Dearborn/Detroit), juicy big buildings as targets, and many Synagogues.

You must get to Southeast MI every once in a while to know as much as you do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:37:08 AM EDT
There simply isn't any real downside to being prepared. If nothing else, Katrina should have demonstrated that pretty clearly.

Putting up a few weeks of food can be pretty painless. Water even more so. Making it a point to CCW whenever possible only makes sense. Joining or forming a CERT team is a good way to actually be part of the solution, should things go hoobie-shoobie.

If every household made it a point to be capable of self sufficiency for a couple of weeks, it'd significantly mitigate any effect from damage to our infrastructure. No one thinks its silly to buy home owners insurance, no one thinks it's silly to have health or auto insurance. Why do some people object to basic disaster preperations?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:39:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:47:33 AM EDT
FWIW...

My whole thinking on this has changed over the years...

I use to be pretty paranoid, but eventually started looking at things differently.

My opinion is that this country we live in is the biggest and baddest dog on the block.
Anything short of a successful full scale nuke attack is only going to be absorbed, dealt with, and forgotten about in a few short months...

Don't want to burst anybody's tinfoil bubble, but I'm fairly convinced that "doomsday" ain't 'gonna happen in my lifetime...

Just my two cents...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:53:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tommytrauma:
There simply isn't any real downside to being prepared. If nothing else, Katrina should have demonstrated that pretty clearly.

Putting up a few weeks of food can be pretty painless. Water even more so. Making it a point to CCW whenever possible only makes sense. Joining or forming a CERT team is a good way to actually be part of the solution, should things go hoobie-shoobie.

If every household made it a point to be capable of self sufficiency for a couple of weeks, it'd significantly mitigate any effect from damage to our infrastructure. No one thinks its silly to buy home owners insurance, no one thinks it's silly to have health or auto insurance. Why do some people object to basic disaster preperations?

Dig my new sig line. "Hoobie shoobie"! LOL
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:58:22 AM EDT
Adding to a compelling argument for a Superbowl attack are:

Live worldwide audience would be a huge "fore multiplier" for a terrorist effect.

Owing to the limited ability to escape the stadium, much less flee the proximity, ANY terrorist attack will result in mass panic and a possible stampede. Think Katrina/ Superdome times 10.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:09:29 AM EDT
Link to OBL tape?

Audio or video???

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:16:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 10:17:52 AM EDT by macman37]

Originally Posted By CavVet:
Link to OBL tape?

Audio or video???

I think video of some sort is available on foxnews.com (but I've been let down before - it could just be a copy of their newscast talking about the audio tape...)

Here's a link to foxnews.com with a partial transcript.

Edit: now our intelligence guys are saying that "chatter" hasn't gone up as a result of this audiotape. linky
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:18:16 AM EDT
Tupac and Biggie are still releasing videos. Audio tape means dick.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:23:31 AM EDT

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top