Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 4:05:21 AM EDT
Police recover assault weapon on college campus
http://www.lassennews.com/News_Story.edi?sid=3145&mode=thread&order=0

Posted on Tuesday, February 21 @ 17:34:43 GMT

Lassen County News Headline After a lengthy investigation, the Susanville Police Department, with the aid of the Coos Bay Police Department, arrested Lassen Community College student Matthew Louis Maumoynier, 21, on Saturday, Feb. 11 in Coos Bay, Ore.

By Barbara France
News Editor

Maumoynier was charged with possessing an assault rifle, possessing firearms on a college campus, furnishing or loaning a high capacity magazine and probation violation. His bail was set at $45,000.

During the month of January, the police department began investigating allegations that college students at LCC were in possession of various firearms in the dorm rooms, according to a SPD press release.

Several photos showing both past and present students holding various types of firearms in the dorm rooms were put on the World Wide Web site blog called myspace.com.

College officials brought it to the attention of the police department when college staff discovered the photos.

According to Police Chief Chris Gallagher, during the lengthy investigation, one of the weapons in the photos was determined to be an assault rifle. These types of rifles are illegal to possess in California.

Maumoynier, identified by the SPD also as a LCC wrestler, was in one of the photos holding the assault rifle.

On Wednesday, Feb. 8, Susanville police detectives interviewed Maumoynier, who admitted during the interview that the assault rifle was his. He allegedly admitted bringing the rifle and a shotgun into the dorm rooms.

Maumoynier also told the detectives the weapons were in an undisclosed location in Chester. The detectives arrested Maumoynier but he was released when he and a man the press release identified as assistant wrestling coach Alonzo Nalls agreed to bring the rifle and shotgun to the police station on Thursday, Feb. 11. Nalls allegedly told the detectives he would help Maumoynier retrieve the guns.

The detectives told Nalls and Maumoynier that if Maumoynier did not return with the weapons as agreed upon, a warrant would be issued for his arrest. He was also told that if he brought in the weapons, he would not be physically arrested but the case would be sent to the Lassen County District Attorney's Office.

Neither Maumoynier nor Nalls brought the weapons to the police department or contacted the investigators.

On Friday, Feb. 10, the police detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Maumoynier for felony and misdemeanor charges.

-----------

"lengthy investigation", ha!  Probably went like this: "oh noeeessss!  a gun..  arrrrrgggggh! Let's get him!"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't even think about holding a gun.   That is a thought crime, and requires political re-education.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't even think about holding a gun.   That is a thought crime, and requires political re-education.  

Shit.

*removes gun pics from facebook*

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Why did he admit they were his?

Without more evidence than the photo, can the police prove anything?

Police questioned me about some things they saw in a photo of my college dorm room.
Things which were obviously stolen if I had them.

I claim I don't know how they got in my room and how photos were taken.

They didn't have a leg to stand on.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why did he admit they were his?

Without more evidence than the photo, can the police prove anything?

Police questioned me about some things they saw in a photo of my college dorm room.
Things which were obviously stolen if I had them.

I claim I don't know how they got in my room and how photos were taken.

They didn't have a leg to stand on.

Was there something special about this dorm room?    

"No, I visited a friend in another state.  We decorated our rooms the same.  He dosn't live in a state that oppresses it's residents.  The gun in that picture has never been in Kalifornia.  Now, FxxK-OFF, PIG!"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Maumoynier was charged with possessing an assault rifle, possessing firearms on a college campus, furnishing or loaning a high capacity magazine and probation violation. His bail was set at $45,000.

I wonder what he was on probation for.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
How hard would it be to photoshop some Kalifornia college dorm rooms with pics of EBR's and flood myspace with bogus violations ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Note to self: Especially when on probation, do not take pics of illegal activities and post them on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Look, you go to school, school says 'no weapons in dorm rooms', you play by the rules.

You don't have to go to school there if you don't want to follow their rules.

I am sure he is a very responsible gun owner; but when you are in class most of the day (and thieves love dorms because they are full of goodies), or have guests over to your place (who you may not know, and might have been drinking, or are just plain ignorant), bad things can happen.

All he had to do if he wanted his weapons that bad was find a place to live just off campus. If he can't pay for that (and I can't) then which is the greater good? A college degree, or jeopardizing your future by not just breaking the (admittedly sheeple-ish) rules, but also by posting pics on the INTERNET?

He got what was coming to him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Too bad the stupid idiot has to lose his guns.  But he's being doubly stupid to turn them into the Cally police.
He should come here to Philly and turn them in.  The Philly police are currently offering two (2) tickets to Sixers games (month of March) for each gun turned in!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#12]
He wasn't busted for owning a "assault rifle",he was busted for having it on campus.What's the big deal ? You break the law,you pay.

Though I don't agree to the part where the cops asked him to turn in his weapons.He refused and a warrant was issued for his arrest,per the agreement they had with the cops.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#13]
"The detectives told Nalls and Maumoynier that if Maumoynier did not return with the weapons as agreed upon, a warrant would be issued for his arrest. He was also told that if he brought in the weapons, he would not be physically arrested but the case would be sent to the Lassen County District Attorney's Office."

Any lawyers in the house?  Let's say he was a good boy and handed over the rifle and the shotgun.  Would the police hold on to them until such time as he could get them back?

Can the police arrest you for NOT handing over your guns based on MySpace pictures!?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#14]
He should have used a myspace profile snoop to see if the cops were watching him.
www.profilesnoop.com/
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He wasn't busted for owning a "assault rifle",he was busted for having it on campus.What's the big deal ? You break the law,you pay.

Though I don't agree to the part where the cops asked him to turn in his weapons.He refused and a warrant was issued for his arrest,per the agreement they had with the cops.

Maumoynier was charged with possessing an assault rifle, possessing firearms on a college campus, furnishing or loaning a high capacity magazine and probation violation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Being as it's California,they most likely tack on something extra if you have a assault rifle on campus,as opposed to just a handgun.

It might/should read something like this:

1) Posessing a firearm on campus

In addition to:

1)*(Sub-section A) Posessing an assault rifle on campus

As always,my opinions are subject to correction through facts
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:01:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

As always,my opinions are subject to correction through facts

What are these so-called facts you speak of?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Dumbass.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Gosh occifer! I didn't realize Airsoft guns were illegal to possess in California.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#20]
MySpace is great.  I use it all the time to track down fugatives.  where else does someone post pics of themself, their car, friends, and hang outs for all to see.  Its great for gang enhancements too.  When Pedro claims he doesnt bang but his myspace page has 12 pics of him with documented bangers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Everyone here should setup a myspace.com account and list your address as California.  Then put an AR-15 up as your primary photo and say you just moved there with your new toy or you just bought it from a bordering state.  You get bonus points if you state you live in a the dorm this kid was in.  I bet you would drive the state and college officials nuts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
MySpace is great.  I use it all the time to track down fugatives.  where else does someone post pics of themself, their car, friends, and hang outs for all to see.  Its great for gang enhancements too.  When Pedro claims he doesnt bang but his myspace page has 12 pics of him with documented bangers.

Good idea....you could probably grab a few parole violaters this way. Jaime be hangin' with a crowd he is prohibited from hanging with( known criminals ), consuming alcoholic beverages ( often prohibited during parole), possessing firearms illegally.....

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Everyone here should setup a myspace.com account and list your address as California.  Then put an AR-15 up as your primary photo and say you just moved there with your new toy or you just bought it from a bordering state.  You get bonus points if you state you live in a the dorm this kid was in.  I bet you would drive the state and college officials nuts.

That was my idea, thinking what legal ramifcations, if any, could happen. No law against posting bogus info I guess, but who knows all the laws, might be construed as fictitious reporting of a crime or something.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:57:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#25]
he should have just said it was airsoft, and told them to F off..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
He should have used a myspace profile snoop to see if the cops were watching him.
www.profilesnoop.com/

Interesting site, have you used it before?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#27]
So he had a firearm at a school for gunsmithing.... the bastard

<title>Lassen Community College - Jr College in Susanville, Ca, ** Gunsmithing, Nursing, Rodeo, Associates Degree, 2 year college, Northern California</title>
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That is brilliant progressive police work man . Please tell me you got a pat on the back for that one . Bravo .
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#29]
He's an idiot for breaking the law in the first place and a BIG idiot for posting pics of it on the net.... but mostly he's an idiot for not just saying they were airsoft.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#30]
If you're gonna bend/break the rules, for pete's sake DON'T post pics of it.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I wonder what he was on probation for.  

Misdemeanor Stupid, now it's Felony Stupid.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.profilesnoop.com/

Interesting site, have you used it before?

i was shut dont last friday.. read there page :(

it worked nice..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#33]
What was his ARFCOM posting name?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top