Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 8:31:45 PM EDT
Premiering on Dec 11th on Nickelodeon.  WTF is this country coming too?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Rugrats have specials for a LOT of holidays:  Christmas (The Santa Experience)
Passover ("Let my babies go!"),
Hanukkah (or HACHNicka as Angelica would put it)
Halloween, etc.

However, I must admit a special for Kwanza may be pushing it a tad.  The special was actually made in 1991, after the addition of the Carmichaels to the show.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
This is hardly something to bitch about

1. Some people celebrate Kwanza.  Get over it.  Why is it that some of you guys will bitterly defend your rights, then turn around and shit on the practices of others, that don't affect you?  Or is this just the African American vs a Redneck kind of thing?

2. The TV has a channel changer or better yet, an off switch.  Why not go to the range while the show is on, if you have nothing better to do.

3. Aren't you guys a little old for Nicklodeon?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#4]
So black kids can't watch TV now?

I love the fact that we are all here to protect our rights, but willing to shit on eveyone elses.

Maybe you should watch it, so you know more about the world and cultures around you.

Maybe your kids should watch it, so they have an understanding of what Kwanzaa is.

Or just don't watch it.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#5]

1. Some people celebrate Kwanza.  Get over it.  Why is it that some of you guys will bitterly defend your rights, then turn around and shit on the practices of others, that don't affect you

View Quote

I think that most educated people that have an issue with Kwanza have it because it is a manufactured holiday. (circa 1960s)  I believe that it is patterned after an African harvest festival.   Its developer was giving black people a ritual they could call their own.  I don't have a real problem with its original intent.

I do however have a problem with those that believe that this is an aincent cultural holiday that is re-appearing from an oppressed past.  It kind of pisses me off that nobody cares that it is made up.  Many want it to be an aincent cultural treasure, so they just ignore the fact that it isn't....

Notice how nobody talking about Kwanza will ever talk about it's origin, they will only speak about how wonderful it is...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think that most educated people that have an issue with Kwanza have it because it is a manufactured holiday. (circa 1960s)  I believe that it is patterned after an African harvest festival.   Its developer was giving black people a ritual they could call their own.  I don't have a real problem with its original intent.

I do however have a problem with those that believe that this is an aincent cultural holiday that is re-appearing from an oppressed past.  It kind of pisses me off that nobody cares that it is made up.  Many want it to be an aincent cultural treasure, so they just ignore the fact that it isn't....

Notice how nobody talking about Kwanza will ever talk about it's origin, they will only speak about how wonderful it is...
View Quote

Holidays are holidays.  If you look deeply enough, Christmas was not celebrated for many years after Christ, and may have been influenced by pagan festivals.  Some people argue that Halloween amounts to devil worship.

Live and let live.  If you don't like a festival, don't celebrate it.  Leave other people alone.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love the fact that we are all here to protect our rights, but willing to shit on eveyone elses.
View Quote

The board has a few members like this.  They are, ironically, the ugliest minorities on the board.

Ignore them and they usually go away.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
DriftPunch, which holidays don't you celebrate that are manufactured?  Veteran's Day?  Memorial Day?  Presidents Day?  The Fourth of July?  Even Christmas, as most secular people celebrate it, is a manufactured holiday.  

Age has nothing to do with it, as the damn things have to start somewhere and sometime.  I snicker at Kwanza, not becuase it's not ancient or even made up but because it's just hokey and it's silly black people feel that they need a holiday all their own, but only for blacks who come from Africa.  A white guy starting a celebration strictly for whites would be labeled a racist quickly, yet Dr. Karenga is nothing more than a black leader.  I'm not even white and it bothers me.

I've never liked the double standard, nor the excuse that it's ok for Black people to do things white people could not becuase they are victims.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't care for "Kwaanzaa", because it's reactionary in nature.
Hanukah too, for that matter.

Christmas in America has always been a glorious and wonderful thing.
Hanukah, the festival of lights, was really just a minor holiday. No gifts, just observance.
Then it somehow got elevated to COMPETE with Christmas.
That's just fine, except I think it shows an insecurity that isn't needed.
The Hanukah Bush is the silliest.

With Kwaanzaa it's the same thing.  Yes it's an invented holiday, but remember.  It was invented to COMPETE with Christmas.
And that's embarrassing in it's insecurity, also.

IMHO, that is...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Murph, it's actually Kwanzaa. [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Kwaaaaaanzaaaaah.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#12]
On Seinfeld, George's father made up his own X-mas holiday.

What was it called?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On Seinfeld, George's father made up his own X-mas holiday.

What was it called?
View Quote

Was it "Festivus"?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Festivus (And now it is time for the airing of grievances!)

Why is this such a big deal?

Kyle
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kyle
View Quote

HEHE!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#16]
It really isn't such a big deal.  Yes, racists (which I am not) jump on it, but then they will jump on anything.  Criticising Kwanzaa doesn't make me a racist.

Go here for some information and make your own decisions:

[URL]http://www.melanet.com/kwanzaa/whatis.html#history[/URL]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Refrigerator Day......does anyone else remember this one?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone ever actually met someone who celebrates kwanza?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]
What? No Rugrats Ramadan Special?  No Rugrats Chinese New Year Special? No Rugrats Druid Winter Solstice Human Sacrafice Special? What kind of racist bigots are these Nickelodeon producers?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, I sure haven't.  I don't think anyone really celebrates it.  I've only seen one store actually stock Kwanzaa stuff, and they didn't sell any of it.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Kyle
View Quote

LOL!  We need to celebrate Festivus!  What a genius idea;  instead of a tree, there is a steel pole.  You get to decorate the pole.  Makes the holidays worth while, imho.

Pertaining to "Kwanzaa":  I agree with Major-murphy.  I would also like too add that it is dumb that a fake holiday needed to be made up over insecurities.  And on top of that, it is being force fed to us by the media (especially on networks heavily viewed by children).  What percentage of the population celebrates this?  I'd be suprised if it were even 1 percent.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Now is the time for feats of strength. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Stubbs - I believe it is an aluminum pole isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The Pole[img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/pole2.gif[/img]

The airing of grievances[img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/airing.gif[/img][img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/airing2.gif[/img]

A Festivus for the rest of us!
[img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/festivus9.gif[/img]

And in your name we have made a donation to the Human Fund.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe Mr. Hanky from South Park will make a guest appearance?? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Maybe you should watch it, so you know more about the world and cultures around you.

Maybe your kids should watch it, so they have an understanding of what Kwanzaa is.

Or just don't watch it.

Av.
View Quote

Dude, you're funny. First of all, I don't think anybody has said that black kids shouldn't be able to watch tv. Or that people shouldn't have the right to celebrate Kwanza. Where did you come up with that?

Just that it's a ridiculous holiday. I mean really, it is pretty silly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Pole[img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/pole2.gif[/img]

The airing of grievances[img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/airing.gif[/img][img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/airing2.gif[/img]

A Festivus for the rest of us!
[img]http://www.interlog.com/~porteous/festivus9.gif[/img]

And in your name we have made a donation to the Human Fund.
View Quote

I don't know whether it was aluminum or not.  But, damn, that is a funny show, isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1. Some people celebrate Kwanza.  Get over it.  Why is it that some of you guys will bitterly defend your rights, then turn around and shit on the practices of others, that don't affect you

View Quote

View Quote

What he said!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll celebrate the hell out of it if I get the day off work.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Hallmark is behind all the BS...any of you suffer through "Sweetest Day"?   What a rip off of Valentines Day.

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

1. Some people celebrate Kwanza.  Get over it.  Why is it that some of you guys will bitterly defend your rights, then turn around and shit on the practices of others, that don't affect you?  Or is this just the African American vs a Redneck kind of thing?

2. The TV has a channel changer or better yet, an off switch.  Why not go to the range while the show is on, if you have nothing better to do.

View Quote

Blablablablablablablablablablablabla.....

Why aren't you the politically correct one and yes I watch Nick all the time, Cheers, Three's Company, Andy Griffith, you know back when things weren't politically correct. You know back when a guy could start a thread like this and not immediately be accused of being a racist or not sympathetic to the plight of others. This is a free country so the person who started this post can make fun of any damn thing he wants to. Get over it. Now I feel better.

Now you can go ahead and call me a racist because unlike others I really don't care and feel the desire to defend myself like most when they are labeled a racist. And incidentally you are the racist here as I don't particularly like that word, Redneck. That's it, I am now offended. I think you just committed a hate crime by saying that word. Oh you are in trouble.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I never heard of Kwanzaa until a few years ago. It's another one of those "feel good" things that the libs like to shove down our throats.
Never heard of it when I was in school.
Now Ramadan, I can understant it not being taught in school when I was a kid. We didn't have the arabic population then that we do now.

Why do the black "leaders" feel that we owe them anything? The majority of blacks in this country are not decendants of slaves.

[smoke]  
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#34]
they teach and celebrate it in the public schools here, but don't want any mention of Christian, Jewish, Christmas, Santa or anything else even close.  
even the Christmas concert is now called the 'holiday' concert.
kind of like black history month being being taught and celebrated in public schools here, but no way for cracker history month, anglo history month, jewish history month, on and on.
too much one-sided diversity for me to go with it.

not kicking it if you want it, just think that if they want to really be diverse, ALL should have equal time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What? No Rugrats Ramadan Special?  No Rugrats Chinese New Year Special? No Rugrats Druid Winter Solstice Human Sacrafice Special? What kind of racist bigots are these Nickelodeon producers?
View Quote

Exactly!!

Solstice special, that was a GOOD one dude!

Chuck
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Geez. I don't see what the problem is with Kwaanza. It is just like any other winter holidays which are celebrated around the world that stresses family, love and generosity.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sorry but this whole thread reminds me of the former Mayor of DC, Marion Barry, and his most famous of quotes:

"The bitch set me up"
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Blablablablablablablablablablablabla.....

Why aren't you the politically correct one and yes I watch Nick all the time, Cheers, Three's Company, Andy Griffith, you know back when things weren't politically correct. You know back when a guy could start a thread like this and not immediately be accused of being a racist or not sympathetic to the plight of others. This is a free country so the person who started this post can make fun of any damn thing he wants to. Get over it. Now I feel better.

Now you can go ahead and call me a racist because unlike others I really don't care and feel the desire to defend myself like most when they are labeled a racist. And incidentally you are the racist here as I don't particularly like that word, Redneck. That's it, I am now offended. I think you just committed a hate crime by saying that word. Oh you are in trouble.
View Quote

Good, I'm glad you're offended.  Yeah it's a free country, and you can say what you want.  People are also free to not agree with it.

And since you defend ripping on others: You must be totally braindead if you defend ripping on people watch Rugrats, when you yourself admit to watching trash like Three's Company.  You must find peet moss hysterical.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Av.
View Quote

Kwanzaa: Holiday From The FBI

By Ann Coulter

Earlier this week, President Clinton issued a formal White House proclamation celebrating the first day of Kwanzaa. His announcement began with some claptrap about preserving "what we value of our past," and Kwanzaa being a "wonderful example" with its "focus on the values that have sustained African-Americans through the centuries."

Except for the small historical detail that Kwanzaa was invented in 1966 amidst the madness of the multicultural '60s by a black radical stooge of the FBI, Ron Karenga, a.k.a. Dr. Maulana Karenga. Karenga was a founder of United Slaves, a violent nationalist rival to the Black Panthers and a dupe of the FBI.

In what was probably ultimately a foolish gamble, during the violent '60s, the FBI encouraged the most offensive black nationalist organizations in order both to discredit and split the left. The more preposterous the organization, the better. Karenga's United Slaves was perfect. Despite public perception blending the black activists of the '60s, the Black Panthers did not hate whites and did not seek armed revolution. That was the trope of Karenga's United Slaves. In the annals of the American '60s, Karenga was the Father Gapon, stooge of the czarist police.

Whether Karenga was a willing dupe, or just a dupe, remains unclear. Interestingly though, in an 1995 interview with Ethnic NewsWatch, Karenga matter-of-factly explained that the forces out to get O.J. Simpson for the "framed" murder of two whites included: "the FBI, the CIA, the State Department, Interpol, the Chicago Police Department" and so on. (He further noted that "the evidence was not strong enough to prohibit or eliminate unreasonable doubt" -- an interesting standard of proof.) Karenga should know about FBI infiltration.

Also, in the category of the-gentleman-doth-protest-too-much, back in the '70s, Nigerian newspapers were claiming that many American black radicals were CIA operatives. Karenga leapt in to denounce the idea publicly, saying, "Africans must stop generalizing about the loyalties and motives of Afro-Americans, including the widespread suspicion of black Americans being CIA agents."

There is no question now that the FBI fueled the bloody rivalry between the Panthers and United Slaves, leading in one outburst to the shooting of Panther Al "Bunchy" Carter on the UCLA campus by Karenga's United Slaves. Karenga himself served time, a useful stepping-stone for his current position as a black studies professor at California State University at Long Beach.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#40]
(cont.)

Kwanzaa itself is a lunatic blend of schmaltzy '60s rhetoric, black racism and Marxism. Indeed, the seven "principles" of Kwanzaa praise collectivism in every possible arena of life -- economics, work, personality, even litter removal ("Kuumba: Everyone should strive to improve the community and make it more beautiful.") It takes a village to raise a police snitch.

Asked to distinguish Kawaida, the philosophy underlying Kwanzaa, from "classical Marxism" in the 1995 interview, Karenga basically said that under Kawaida, we also hate whites. While taking the "best of" -- I'm not making this up -- "early Chinese and Cuban socialism," Kawaida practitioners believe one's racial identity "determines life conditions, life-chances and self-understanding." There's a happy Horatio Alger story for you.

Coincidentally, the seven principles of Kwanzaa are the very same seven principles of the Symbionese Liberation Army, another charming invention of the Least-Great Generation. In 1974, Patricia Hearst, kidnap victim-cum-SLA revolutionary, posed next to the banner of her alleged captors, a seven-headed cobra. Each snake head stood for one of the SLA's revolutionary principles (and this sounds like Saturday Night Live's send-up of the second presidential debate in which George Bush rattled off an endless series of Nigerian names): Umojo, Kujichagulia, Ujima, Ujamaa, Nia, Kuumba and Imani -- precisely the seven "principles" of Kwanzaa.

With his Kwanzaa greetings, President Clinton is saluting the intellectual sibling of the Symbionese Liberation Army, killer of housewives and police, and the founder of United Slaves, who were such lunatics that they shot Panthers for not being sufficiently violent -- all with the FBI as their covert ally. It's as if David Duke invented a holiday called "Anglica," and the president of the United States issued a presidential proclamation honoring the synthetic holiday. People might well stand up and take notice if that happened.

Liberals have become so mesmerized by the hegemonic multicultural nonsense that they have forgotten the real history -- the violence, the Marxism, the insanity. Most absurdly, for leftists anyway, is that they have forgotten the FBI's tacit encouragement of this murderous black nationalist cult founded by the father of Kwanzaa. United Slaves were proto-fascists, walking around in dashikis, blowing away Black Panthers and adopting invented "African" names. (That was a big help to the black community: How many boys named "Jamal" currently sit on death row?)

Now the "holiday" concocted by these violent stormtrooper stooges of the FBI is a "tradition," a celebration of the "value of our past." This is not a tradition. This is a '60s psychosis grafted onto black community, while the Christian leaders at the forefront of the civil rights movement are washed out of the picture.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks Olyarms415
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I saw one in a movie, does that count?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top