Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 10:09:16 AM EDT
Last fall, I found it neccessary to get all my ammo out of the house for a reason I'll keep to myself. Anyway, my daughter and her fiance offered to store it in his storage locker at a local place.  I said okay. Move ahead to the present day. I am in a new house with my fiance. I want my ammo back.  I got one lame excuse after another why he couldn't bring it over. Finally my daughter calls me and says ALL my ammo is gone. It was sold at auction. I, after regaining my composure, aske her why it was sold.  She said because the storage place has lockers mixed up and thought the locker with my ammo was no longer rented to anyone. My daughter's fiance said he paid the rent and the storage place said he didn't.  They said they told him he was late and that they also told him on February 10th that the contents of his locker had been sold at auction because he didn't pay the rent.  I ran to the auction house and found that only a few ammo cans of brass were left.  I had to buy those back.
No more .223, no more 45 Colt, no more 45acp, no more 17HMR, no more 45/70, no more 30-06, no more 308, no more 9mm, etc. NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, SLANT, SQUAT!

I am so pissed.  Trust no one where your ammo is concerned.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
In WA State you arent allowed to keep firearms or ammo in storage units.  I dont know if it is law, but the three places that I've had units at over the years all had the same rules.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
How much did you lose?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In WA State you arent allowed to keep firearms or ammo in storage units.  I dont know if it is law, but the three places that I've had units at over the years all had the same rules.

-BJohnson

Like I would ever tell the storage unit's owners what I was storing.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If he paid the rent and can prove it you should make the storage place buy you a new stash.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How much did you lose?

I would say it's about the average AR15.com member's ammo stash.  I've only been accumulating it for years and years.

When I got the news, I almost threw up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much did you lose?

I would say it's about the average AR15.com member's ammo stash.  I've only been accumulating it for years and years.

So you only really lost a box of .38s and a brick of .22? Which you didnt really have cause it was all lost in the boating accident?

ON a serious note I would have his ass by me a new stash if he didnt pay the rent and if he did the rental place would have to replace it all.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd tell him that either he or the rental place is buying you a new stash.  They can fight among themselves over who it's going to be, but one of them is going to pay.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't the fact that they were putting you off and making excuses when you wanted it back give you some serious doubts?   If he really did pay it and was in some kind of battle with them why didn't they just call you and have you lend whatever assistance you could, and at least give you a chance to recover more of it?  From the story you give they sound as guilty as hell to me and are trying to place the blame somewhere else.

I'd tell them you were going to get a lawyer to pursue civil action against the storage company and ask for receipts that they paid in a timely manner.  If they really did they'll pony up the receipts chop chop.  If they didn't the excuses will start to flow again as to why they don't have them.  Then I'd go to the storage company and ask to see the payment record.  If they refuse to provide it tell them that you're considering pursuing civil action against your daughters fiance and need proof that he didn't pay the bill.

Return to fiance with proof of non payment, ask him to come clean with you.  If he doesn't I'd go to my daugher and tell her that there's going to be some serious strife in the family if he doesn't stop lying and replace the lost ammo.

If he really didn't pay the bill and lied to your daughter too, then I'd have a serious one on one with her and ask "If he lies about something like this what else is he lying about".

I could put up with him being an idiot and not paying the bill, it happens to all of us from time to time, but I just can't stand liars.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#10]
You need to find out who is really at fault.  If it is the BF, then he needs to pay for the loss.  If the Storage facility, then they do.    Simple.     At least you know you can never again trust the BF.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Last fall, I found it neccessary to get all my ammo out of the house for a reason I'll keep to myself.

Sorry to hear the news. Now I want to know why you couldn't just keep it all in a locked chest?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am so pissed.  Trust no one where your ammo anything is concerned.  

fixed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Trust no one where your ammo and guns are is concerned.  

Fixed it. And I'm sorry for your loss.  My Mom, Dad, and only Sibling have the combo to my safe.  And my best friend down the street has a key to my house.  I has an GF a while back that wanted to know the combo to my safe.  Told her I'd open it up for her anytime she wanted.  Later that same crazy wench took out a Restraining Order on me, so I had to dump EVERYTHING on my buddy down the street.  The RO was thrown out of court and I got my guns and ammo back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
damn, that sucks
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Drag 'em in front of Judge Judy.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#17]
sorry for your loss, i feel the pain.  had some scuzball steal 1000 rounds of 223 from me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#18]
They can't do this overnight.  In GA they have to run ads in the county's legal organ [ aka the newspaper ] for 2 consecutive weeks with the unit renter's name etc.,they have to send out certified letters etc. It's almost like evicting you from a house.

I smell BS somewhere.

rj
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They can't do this overnight.  In GA they have to run ads in the county's legal organ [ aka the newspaper ] for 2 consecutive weeks with the unit renter's name etc.,they have to send out certified letters etc. It's almost like evicting you from a house.

I smell BS somewhere.

rj

Same here.  It takes about 6 months of not paying bills for them to do this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I had suspicions about the daughter's boyfriend for a while, but I didn't want to belive them. He had a terrible childhood. He rose above it and served in the Army in Iraq, airborne to boot. I was proud of him and I saw that my daughter really loved him. As pissed about the ammo as I am, two other people had ammo in that stash and they are mighty pissed off. One was my dad and the other a very good friend.

I told the daughter that if he comes up with legitimate receipts, I will go to bat for him and go after the storage company. I don't think that is going to happen. I may ask him to pay me so much a month for the rest of his life. I just can't stand the feeling of having almost no ammo.  I'm getting the shakes. The 1500 gun and knife show is next month so I'll have to start rebuilding then.  At least my guns and reloading stuff is safe.  

Well, the guns would have been if I didn't lose them all in a freak boating accident.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know how much ammo. It sounds like a lot.
But, it still sounds like a cheap lesson in the character of your future son-in-law.
I hope your daughter is not involved in this lie.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:54:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Why couldnt you rent your own storage.
I learned early in life, there are few you can trust 100%
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Straight up ask the BF for the reciept to prove he paid the fee. If he can't, he owes you some ammo.

+1 straight up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#26]
That sucks man, sorry about that.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much did you lose?

THAT MUCH!!!! How'd you fit it in one storage locker?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Take it to the People's court, I'd watch that episode.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Athough I feel for you loosing all that ammo....you really have noboby to blame, other than yourself. You made that fatal mistake of depending on someone else to do something right.

You didn't say why you felt the need to stash all the ammo in the first place, but I would wager that it was a direct result of another situation you let yourself get into. Then you compounded this by relying on someone vias vi a family members perception of that person.

I have come to learn that relying on ANYBODY for ANYTHING is a chancy proposition unless I can include that person in the very very few to whom I'd trust my life.

99 & 99/100% of the people out there will only carry through if they stand to gain something out of the deal, and not just out of the kindness of their heart. They, therefore, aren't willing to keep up their end of the bargain....nothing in it for them....they can explain it away and justify their failure by negating it's importance to them personally.

I hope things work out and you get something back....other than the hard lesson learned. Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Kick his ass, Seabass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#31]
You better begin stocking RIGHT NOW! i say start with the  cheaper stuff first like .22 lr and 9mm then work your way up to the good stuff. I mean come on if Zombies attacked tommorrow you'd be shit out of luck!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am so pissed.  Trust no one where your ammo anything is concerned.  

fixed.

Pretty much +1 on that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#33]
do you hang with people that look like this or this ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Why would you and 2 other people leave such a large amount of valuable items in someone elses storage unit?

Hiding it from someone?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like your daughter knows what really happened and she's choosing her BF over her Dad.  

Don't blame the storage company, don't blame the BF.  Your daughter is the one that should have been striaght with you the first time the overdue notices came for the storage space.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The question is, did he pay the rent?  Does he have proof he paid the rent?  If he did, then there is legal recourse for the value of the items.  It sounds however like he didn't pay the rent.  Storage unit companies are viscious.

Why do you say they are vicious?  If the rent was not paid and they went to court and got an order stating they could sell it, they did nothing wrong.  I feel for rn45 but he should be upset with the daughters boyfriend or the daughter. (If they did not pay the bill)

rn45, Why did you not pay the storage bill?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Drag 'em in front of Judge Judy.

I'm pretty sure that because rn45 wasn't paying for someone to store his ammo,
that his daughter was just doing him a favor.

I seriously doubt rn45 has any legal recourse against his daughter or her fiancee,
even if he wanted to persue it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Your boot needs to go up someones ass!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Can't you just call the storage place, talk to the owner, and find out their side of the story before too much time passes and they forget.  
Sounds mighty suspect to me ....   and if I lost ALL of my ammo, I would just fucking hurt someone ,  I mean I would figure out what the hell is really going on.

M4-CQBR

Sic vis pacem para bellum.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#40]
My Dad owns storage units.  It's amazing how often someone gives their kid cash to pay the bills and the kid buys dope or beer instead.  They end up setling their debts or dad lets them buy some of their stuff back for a portion of the back rent.  
People leave stuff behind when they move out.  Number one stuff is Christmas decorations followed by baby toys and stuffed animals.  He's got a lot of ammo from there too.  I need to bring that home the next time I go up there.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Well haveing a daughter I know how you feel,but her BF even if he had been to the sand box never learned anything!!

He does not show you respect!!!

You now know where you stand with him in ANY future dealings!!!

Just write it off(cheap enough to know whom really matters)don't deal with him ever again!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#42]
So, the ammo had to get out of the house....where were the guns?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]
The whole story sounds fishy.  These are rhetorical questions but would go a long way to explaining the whole situation:

1) Why did the ammo have to leave the house?

2) Why couldn't your dad or your good friend keep the ammo?

3) Were you under a restraining order?

4) If yes to #3, where did you keep your guns?

5) Why couldn't you rent the unit?

6) Why didn't you go with the BF/daughter to the storage unit and have them rent it but you pay the guy for one year's storage up front?

7) How much did you really know the BF?  How reliable was your daughter before this 'situation'?  

I'd have to really trust someone before I gave them my ammo stash.  I can't think of anyone right now that I would trust other than my wife.  That's one person out of 6 billion people.

I came close to a similar situation when I was storing some guns and ammo at a friend's house while I was living in Boston for a year.  This was the best friend I'd ever had.  His girlfriend/fiance took a real dislike for me (? felt threatened by the friendship).  What a fucking mess.  I got everything out in time but learned a big lesson about trust.  I haven't talked to him since despite two attempts on his part to mend fences.  Fuck him.

If I were you, I would tread very lightly.  If you get into an argument with them over the ammo and the police are called, you could get slapped with a domestic violence charge then conviction after a little shoving match.  Goodbye guns, goodbye ammo.

I would cut my losses and stay as far away from them as possible.  

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
My Dad owns storage units.  It's amazing how often someone gives their kid cash to pay the bills and the kid buys dope or beer instead.  They end up setling their debts or dad lets them buy some of their stuff back for a portion of the back rent.  
People leave stuff behind when they move out.  Number one stuff is Christmas decorations followed by baby toys and stuffed animals.  He's got a lot of ammo from there too.  I need to bring that home the next time I go up there.  

This story sounds like 'BF didn't pay the rent on the unit for a long time and after many warnings before finally going to auction'.  Business is business.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#45]
"Sorry soon to be son in law and daughter, you will have to pay for your own wedding because the money I WAS going to give you for it is now going to be spent restocking."  Then DO it.

BF sounds like someone I would not want marrying my daughter. Obviously has some problems with responsibility and/or bill paying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top