Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 8:38:38 PM EDT
I'm doing the damned wash. The washing machine has been on it's last legs for years, and to replace the damned thing means that we have to cut the coachroof off the generator room with a cutting torch, swap the washer out and reweld everything back into place. A PITA.

All of the timers, water valves are shot. All of the controls have been replaced with a gaggle of jury-rigged toggle switches. Right now there are 2 things the damned thing does: Agitate and spin.

To do wash: Dump the wash in and add a cup of Snowy. Haul 4-5gal pails of hot water from the galley.Dump 'em in. Agitate for 20-30 minutes. Spin for about 5-10.

Repeat proceedure with no soap to rinse.

Pull out and hang up to dry in the heat of the Gen room.

Hopefully, we'll get to the yard in the next few months and get a new washer.

pic

Ya gotta WANNA be out here!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you on the ship right now?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, why don't you buy a new washer and take it apart to get it into the generator room then reassemble it? They disassemble into smaller subsections. Maytags seem to be the least complicated. Doing laundry in the generator room? Crap, I hope it never overfills.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was at sea we didn't have a washer.  I would wash my clothes in the galley sink and hang them in the rigging to dry.  What type of vessel are you on?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Piccolo,

Just curious, what kind of boat/ship are you on?

- Z
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Piccolo,

Just curious, what kind of boat/ship are you on?

- Z
View Quote

I'm on a manned 35,000 barrel clean oil barge.

cs223, we're planning on doing something just that. Problem might be the tub, but we're working on it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top