Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2001 10:13:38 AM EDT
I finally got to meet my UPS driver today as he was dropping off more AK magazines.  As some of you know I sell AK magazines.  I asked him how his day was going and he said busy then he looks at me and so what do you do with all those clips?  I was a little taken aback, as I have never spoke to this guy before.  But he must have examined some of my previous shipments where the boxes had split open.  I explained to him that I resell them on the internet and he seemed pretty interested in that.  

I guess the good news is the UPS driver knows what he is delivering and my apartment hasn't been raided yet.  Of course I'm not selling anything like rocket launcher tubes.

As a general warning, if you are shipping something that the liberals might not like, make sure you not only tape the bottom and top of the box, but also run tape around the sides of the box to help prevent it from splitting open.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, no kidding... I once got a package from Tapco at work (FAL barrel) and they just tossed it in a box with some newspaper, and of course it had poked out of the box by the time I got it...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Should have smacked him and said clips are for paper and garands.  [stick]

Ak-47's use MAGAZINES!  ARRRG...

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Shazbat, Buddie from Tapco told me that barrels sticking out of a box won't be a problem any longer, because they are now taping a piece of cardboard to both ends of a barrels before shipping.  I've order three barrels from them since then, and all three were like that when I received them.  Problem fixed.

The last package I received from Tapco was split-open.  It was taped well on the top and bottom, but the side of the box, at the seam where it is put together, pulled loose.  Tape around the box would have fixed that.  I was missing four very small parts, and they could have fallen-out through that opening.z
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
About three months ago, a UPS driver struck up a conversation with me as well concerning firearms.  It was pretty cool.  I was in the process of upgrading and accessorizing an AR (or two) and stocking up on reloading supplies, so I was getting packages from Bushmaster and other well known manufacturers.  

He was well versed in high power matches and has an AR-15 himself.  He even made a recommendation or two concerning reloading.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Should have smacked him and said clips are for paper and garands.  [stick]

Ak-47's use MAGAZINES!  ARRRG...

View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
About three months ago, a UPS driver struck up a conversation with me as well concerning firearms.  It was pretty cool.  I was in the process of upgrading and accessorizing an AR (or two) and stocking up on reloading supplies, so I was getting packages from Bushmaster and other well known manufacturers.  

He was well versed in high power matches and has an AR-15 himself.  He even made a recommendation or two concerning reloading.
View Quote
...[size=6]Hope He's not a snitch playing you[/size=6][peep]
View Quote

LOL.  I would only be concerned with that if I was doing something illegal.  Anyone who wants to talk guns with me will get an earful.  BATF or not.

[marines]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#9]
there are NO x-ray machines at UPS

the air freight gets loaded into air containers and are shipped to the airport and loaded on a plane, they are not openned until they reach the next destination.
the UPS i worked at had an average of 40,000 packages a day go through the building, got time to x-ray those and pull out the "possibly" illegal items? NO

ive seen boxes that were re-taped with US Customs inspection tape, i dont even think they use x-rays
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#10]
If you really wanted to throw him off the track, you should have said that you hate guns and volence and you are trying to stop it in your own way by buying and destroying these nasty things. Then start going into detail on how you saw them up and beat on them with a hammer and then have the pieces melted down.
I bet they would really leave you alone after that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#11]
UPS is notorious for packages 'breaking open', as well as guns stolen from their shipments.  They told a certain gunsmith that I know that they were legally entitled to open packages for inspection, now he uses Fedex, as do I.  Also, many gun dealers were told by UPS that guns had to be overnighted because their people were stealing guns.  So instead of fixing the problem, they required something that costs dealers more money.  My job involves travel and I have to have parts shipped to me a lot.  This part is not gun related, but we had a lot of lost shipments and switched to Fedex and no more lost shipments.  Stop using UPS, use Fedex.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]
They told a certain gunsmith that I know that they were legally entitled to open packages for inspection, now he uses Fedex, as do I. Also, many gun dealers were told by UPS that guns had to be overnighted because their people were stealing guns.
View Quote

I am not taking UPS' side, but it has always been their policy that all packages are subject to inspection. I've had a running argument with the local UPS center as to why they single out firearm and firearm related packages. Their managers think it's a big joke and won't give me a straight answer. My answer is [b]BOYCOTT.[/b] As to overnighting guns, unless something has changed in the last few weeks, the only guns that UPS is overnighting are handguns as is Federal Express.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Just make sure you don't have any muffler tubing and washers laying around.  [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top