Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2013 2:17:45 PM EDT
Yes I'm a noob. My father, a Vietnam Vet, passed away in 2010. I was given one of his dog tags by my mother shortly after services. I never served in military but was always very proud of my father for volunteering for service. (Air Cav). I wore the dogtag out of respect and remembrance but seamed to have bad luck. A couple of weeks ago I removed it and things have gotten better.

What say you? Was I disrespectful? I hope not, thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a dog tag, not a magic talisman.  It's a way to remember your father, wear it/keep it with you if it makes you feel better.  It's not like you're claiming to be a veteran.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]

I don't find your actions disrespectful at all.  Wear your dad's tags with pride in who he was and what he did.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I was issued dog tags, and I'm here to tell you that you have every right to wear your Dad's tags. If you had a run of bad luck while you were wearing them, I don't know what to tell you.

He earned them and he passed them to you. Fuck anyone who tries to tell you that you can't wear them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's a dog tag, not a magic talisman.  It's a way to remember your father, wear it/keep it with you if it makes you feel better.  It's not like you're claiming to be a veteran.

This. As long as you aren't using them to claim to have served when you did not, i see no reason why you can't wear them. Hell, even if they had your info on them, I still don't see any reason why anyone can't wear them so long as they aren't trying to pose as a vet. Dog tags with your basic info on them as well as basic medical info(allergies, blood type) can serve a good use to anyone in an emergency situation, in or out of the Military.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You have a legitimate reason to have the tags. Do what you want with them.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Wear the tags.  Remember your dad.

It's okay.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup. The only heartburn I ever had with people wearing dog tags who weren't theirs' was when I was in Iraq and the deployment couple swapped dog tags. Had to rip em up one side and down the other -
I know we have fucking DNA identification of remains, but if y'all get
fucking stupid and get blown the fuck up by a mortar while you are
fucking in the woodshop, don't you want your fucking mother to get the
right fucking body parts in a box?

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Wear them proudly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I think any "luck" was coincidental.  If you want to wear your dad's tag in his remembrance, do so.  If you feel like maybe you shouldn't, don't.

The right thing to do here is whatever makes you happier.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

First post and all that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all, I'll wear them again. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't inadvertently doing something disrespectful. Not a Vet poser just showing respect to my pop. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
As a Vets kid, you have every right. Wear it in tribute proudly.

As for the luck thing, luck works both ways at the same time.

Each shitty happenstance of bad luck, sets up something else in the future. It might be good luck down the road, and ya just don't know it yet.;)
Untill then, shit happens and it dosn't mean a damn thing.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Just make sure if the medical info indicated does not match you, that you engrave them "NOT VALID" or something similar to prevent any problems.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just make sure if the medical info indicated does not match you, that you engrave them "NOT VALID" or something similar to prevent any problems.

Kharn

Religion and blood type the same.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thanks all, I'll wear them again. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't inadvertently doing something disrespectful. Not a Vet poser just showing respect to my pop. Thanks

Not at all.  I wish I had my dad's tags.  Lord knows what he did with them when he retired way back in '79, though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Wearing your dad's tags is no different then wearing any other type of possession from a loved one
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's okay.

This. Right. Here
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's okay.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd hold on to them. The emotional outcome of losing them may haunt you if something happened to them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been in for 22 years and have had one of my dads dog tags on ever since boot camp.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's okay.

This. Right. Here

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This; you are wearing it for you old man, may he rest in peace. Be proud.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Just my opinion, but if I was going to wear dogtags for sentimental reasons I would consider getting them gold or silver plated so people would know it's not just a case of an ex-GI wearing his old tags for old times sake.  I think it would make a great conversation piece as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd hold on to them. The emotional outcome of losing them may haunt you if something happened to them.

I thought about that, what if beaded chain breaks. They made it this far and I would hate myself if lost
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't see it as disrespectful at all but it does seem a bit strange to me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I wear my grandfather's dogtags to remind me of the person that I aim to be like in my lifetime. A great man who always stood by his word, helped all of those to the best of his abilities, worked harder than any other man I have ever seen in my life, protected his friends and family and served his country.

Wearing the tags sort of empowers me to better myself. Since my grandfather passed away a little over a year ago, I make it a point to train harder, give more effort in class (senior at MoWest University. Major in C.J Law Enforcement), and focus more on my career path.

I still feel that I am not worthy enough to wear them, comparing his service to our country compared to mine, but I do not glory hound the tags. Its more of a personal symbol to myself to give all that I can to better myself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's okay.

This....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wear my grandfather's dogtags to remind me of the person that I aim to be like in my lifetime. A great man who always stood by his word, helped all of those to the best of his abilities, worked harder than any other man I have ever seen in my life, protected his friends and family and served his country.

Wearing the tags sort of empowers me to better myself. Since my grandfather passed away a little over a year ago, I make it a point to train harder, give more effort in class (senior at MoWest University. Major in C.J Law Enforcement), and focus more on my career path.

I still feel that I am not worthy enough to wear them, comparing his service to our country compared to mine, but I do not glory hound the tags. Its more of a personal symbol to myself to give all that I can to better myself.

Nice, glad they give you strength. I'm wearing mine again. Went outside and played catch with my son. It's a good day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top