Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 8:56:17 AM EDT
All of the big pieces are there, one tiny little piece on the corner of her mouth.  One little one in hallway.

Now what?  Does she need X-rays?  Or do I look for blood in stool?

From the looks of all the pieces, she took one bite and then realised it wasn't a ball and spit it out--but what if one little piece gets through?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If it was my dog, I'd already be on the way to the vet's office.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Take her to the vet Slash.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Excuse me, for my improper sense of humor, but I had to laugh for about 30 seconds when I saw this topic....

You should call your vet.
  Chances are that the vet isn't going to have anything your dog can swallow to dissolve the glass that won't dissolve parts of your dog in the process.  

Surgery would be warranted of the piece of glass is extremely large that was injested.  But this sounds like it is not the case.

The vet will probably tell you to let the glass pass.  There may be some damage as it passes.  the dog might heal on it's own or it might need "Help" to heal.  There are too many variables to tell.

It's a waiting game, but definately call your vet for advice
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Vet... NOW!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
No shit, I had a male Springer Spaniel that was crazy.  Personality out the ears but he did dumb stuff.  One of his favorites was chomping up Christmas balls.  He would grab them right off the tree.  Never hurt him though.  Little blood in his stool a couple times.  Went to the vet, he said the peices he ate were so small that it would be impractical to do surgery.  So he stole the balls, ate them, and would shit some blood for a day and then back to being gofy again...

God, I miss my dogs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My lab kept eating the lights on the tree, so I started leaving them on.
Seems to have worked.
I figure electric is better than glass shards.
BTW, he hasn't eaten anymore lights so far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Our Akita chewed three bulbs in her first two years with us. It never hurt her and she never had blood in her stool even. She is four now and is a happy healthy dog that finally leaves the bulbs alone!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Metamucial and lot's of it. My first Brittany ate a regular light bulb as a pup. The vet said give her a laxative for a few days. Makes the poop soft and big. My dog also got ahold of some of my dads valuim. For this you use a turkey baster and 50/50 mix if hydrogyn peroxide and water.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE:

Talked to the vet on the phone (they are 30+ miles away and I wanted info right away).

They just wanted us to monitor her for a few days....

I reconstructed the ball...as best I could...If there is a piece it can be no bigger than 1/4".  

We did the cottonball/milk/bread trick for sharp objects.  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Give him a can of pumpkin filling. Acts like a laxative and will make whatever pass.

Glass will not show up on xray. Save the money on the vet bill. You'll probably be okay if the dog did not ingest large pieces. Pumpkin filling and watch him/her for a while.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Your dog will be fine.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I almost forgot... several years ago, my brother-in-law's lab ate a steak that was de-thawing on the countertop.  Along with the entire ceramic plate it was de-thawing on.  No harm done.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I almost forgot... several years ago, my brother-in-law's lab ate a steak that was de-thawing on the countertop.  Along with the entire ceramic plate it was de-thawing on.  No harm done.

Crazy labs!  

Oh, by the way, it's "thawing", not "de-thawing".
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crazy labs!  

Yeah, but it is defrosting.  And my brain isn't that sharp after 8 hours of babysitting a bunch of 18 year old girls at work. (trust me, it isn't nearly as fun as you would expect.)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My Bengal cat and my evil Pit Bull are conspiring together to decimate our tree.  The cat climbs up into the tree and knocks the ornaments to the floor where little Miss Chews-on-Everything eats them.  So far the dastardly pair have claimed seven innocent ornaments.

Oh...the dog is fine...even thought it was a fun game when I got mad at her.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
"Status?? Can somebody PLEASE give me status??"

---Beck, "The Negotiator"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Your dog will be fine.  

+1  Keep an eye on her but in all probability she'll be just fine.  Patty
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crazy labs!  

Yeah, but it is defrosting.  And my brain isn't that sharp after 8 hours of babysitting a bunch of 18 year old girls at work. (trust me, it isn't nearly as fun as you would expect.)

Oh cry me a river!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope your dog will be okay.  I once had a Pitbull that ate an entire aluminum roasting pan for a 20lb. Turkey, (it was the disposable kind).

Yeah I know it wasn't glass, but I can imagine the aluminum must have had some pretty sharp edges when he chewed it up, plus he ate the whole damn thing!!!!

My wife mad the dog a Thanksgiving feast of gravy made out of the bird drippings and mixed his dog food into it, and served it in the pan, she went back a couple of hours later to take it out of his pen and it was gone. She thought I had taken it out, and I thought she had.

The next day I'm cleaning up dog shit with huge pieces of aluminum in it a realized what had happened!!!

The damn dog didn't even get sick, not even alittle!!!  So chances are your pooch will be Okay...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
If it 's a couple of small chips of glass you're dog will be fine. There stomach acids are really strong. They will just dissolve. Remember glass is just sand
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Dont all dogs eat glass bulbs off the Christmas trees Isnt just part of thier growing up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, glass is more than sand.  And stomach acids will NOT dissolve glass.  Only hydrofluoric acid dissolves glass, not hydrochloric.

But the good news is the digestive system is resistant to cuts from glass.  Just be DAMN SURE there is no possibility of the dog ever having been exposed to rat poisons.  

Believe it or not, a common stunt of a crazy few "performers" is glass eating.  Lightbulbs are commonly "consumed".  Since chyme moves through the stomach and small intestine as a slurry at very low speed, there is little chance of cutting.  In the large intestine, the primary action is removal of water, resulting in a compact stool.  The glass is "covered" in fecal material and should not cut...deeply.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well, glass is more than sand.  And stomach acids will NOT dissolve glass.  Only hydrofluoric acid dissolves glass, not hydrochloric.

But the good news is the digestive system is resistant to cuts from glass.  Just be DAMN SURE there is no possibility of the dog ever having been exposed to rat poisons.  

Believe it or not, a common stunt of a crazy few "performers" is glass eating.  Lightbulbs are commonly "consumed".  Since chyme moves through the stomach and small intestine as a slurry at very low speed, there is little chance of cutting.  In the large intestine, the primary action is removal of water, resulting in a compact stool.  The glass is "covered" in fecal material and should not cut...deeply.

I guess I am no science major, and I stand corrected
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top