Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2006 6:57:49 AM EDT
Still alive!!  

www.11alive.com/life/life_article.aspx?storyid=77422

Dog Shot By Cop, Saved by Surgery

Reported By: Karyn Greer
Web Editor: Michael King
Last Modified: 3/17/2006 6:07:27 AM

A dog owner says his pet was shot by a Clayton County police officer, who was chasing a suspect through the dog owner's yard.

The owner, Samuel Christian, said the officer told him he feared for his life and shot Blue, a bulldog, twice.

“He basically told me that (since) the dog is not a human, that he isn’t worried about it,” said Christian. “I lost all faith in the Clayton County Police Department.”

11Alive’s Karyn Greer talked to Christian and watched as veterinary surgeons removed the bullet that threatened Blue’s life in this report. (Go to link for video)

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Clayton County police officer......“He basically told me that (since) the dog is not a human, that he isn’t worried about it,” said Christian. “I lost all faith in the Clayton County Police Department.”

Good thing his the officer didn't feel threatened by the man's kids playing in their own yard, could have shot them too
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm...popcorn please!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
What rights does a property owner have in this matter?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#5]
IBTPA!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I go into between 250-400 customers yards a day, if i shot every dog that attacked me there would be no more dogs in the metro detroit area. I bet a dollor to a doughnut he would have shot a poodle as well. I think he needs a desk job.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I cannot get the vid to play for me, but I saw a report from another station yesterday.

In the pic above you can see the entry wound and IIRC, the exit wound is behind the dog's shoulder.

Simple in and out, 1 shot.

Thought most cops are trained to fire until the "threat" has been stopped?

ETA:  Perhaps the one shot was enough?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He might get reimbursed for his vet bills, but it looks like he has the right to own a shot-up dog.  Now how is this dog, who was only defending his turf, going to react next time he sees someone in uniform like another cop or a mailman?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Must have been a 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#10]
it is cheaper to shoot the dog and pay out a couple hundred than the officer recieve a bite, or permanent career ending injury and possibly pay disability in the hundreds of thousands
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I go into between 250-400 customers yards a day, if i shot every dog that attacked me there would be no more dogs in the metro detroit area. I bet a dollor to a doughnut he would have shot a poodle as well. I think he needs a desk job.

Are you a gas or electric meter reader?

I did meter reading during a lay-off about 5 years ago, and now I don't like other people's dogs. Used to love them, now I just think they are all a liabilty to everybody but themselves. While having a dog is something I've always wanted, I dont' think I could unless I lived in a sparsely populated area.

How many dogs go though their lives without biting someone? How many of those bites end up in court?

Dave
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys, but are all cops assholes? If he felt threatened then he's a pu_ _y. Bull dogs are harmless and those wounds piss me off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I will shoot back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]
It was a freaking bulldog, and he feared for his life...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you a gas or electric meter reader?

I did meter reading during a lay-off about 5 years ago, and now I don't like other people's dogs. Used to love them, now I just think they are all a liabilty to everybody but themselves. While having a dog is something I've always wanted, I dont' think I could unless I lived in a sparsely populated area.

How many dogs go though their lives without biting someone? How many of those bites end up in court?

Dave

Yes i am, nowadays we read both.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Very impressive.  At 2 minutes a yard not counting travel time, lunch or piss breaks,  that's an 800 minute/13.5hr day doing NOTHING but going thru people's yards.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very impressive.  At 2 minutes a yard not counting travel time, lunch or piss breaks,  that's an 800 minute/13.5hr day doing NOTHING but going thru people's yards.

2 minutes my ass, i read a meter every 20-24 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#19]
He should have been a better shot.

He needs more range time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Are body armors available for dogs?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#21]

10 pages and a lock
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bull.  You tell me that EVERY DAY you read meters in 400 homes. Are those homes lined up side by side, 400 in a row with no streets, fences, gates, or stuff blocking the meter? That you take no breaks, no lunch, and are reading metersEVERY second? Then you find time to post on the internet during a workday?

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Are body armors available for dogs?

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#24]
That would seriously piss me off

Another reason not to carry a .40
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#25]
My friend and one of her squadmates were on a call and were charged by an APBT that the owner had trained to "sic em"

Pooch soaked up a round of .40 to the neck, changed direction and attitude, and survived. Asshole owner got a ride in the back of a cruiser. He shoulda got the bullet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#26]
How do the armies of unarmed service workers manage to get through each month with nary a dog shot?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bull.  You tell me that EVERY DAY you read meters in 400 homes. Are those homes lined up side by side, 400 in a row with no streets, fences, gates, or stuff blocking the meter? That you take no breaks, no lunch, and are reading metersEVERY second? Then you find time to post on the internet during a workday?

I have a broken left foot, so yes i have been off for a while. I dont read out in the country,as of my first post its in the metro detroit area. You mentioned travel time. Once you drive to your route travel is all done by foot. The more time you spend in a backyard the more chance you have of the idiot homeowner letting the dogs out because they are going apeshit inside if they heard you open the gate. The routes are usally between 6-10 miles. I take no lunch,if you thought you were hungry before just wait till you walk a few miles to get back to your car From doing the same routes every month you talk to alot of the same people,if i really have to pee someone will let me use the restroom. And yes i try to get done as fast as possible,the sooner your done, the sooner you turn in your computer and go have. You could walk and drag ass and work for 9 hours including breaks and get paid for 8. Or you can run and bust ass and work 4-5 hours and get paid for 8.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How do the armies of unarmed service workers manage to get through each month with nary a dog shot?

They don't.  Lots of them bludgeon dogs or get bit.  We get those calls all the time. Aternatively, they just don't read your meter and make a guess at your bill.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't.  Lots of them bludgeon dogs or get bit.  We get those calls all the time. Aternatively, they just don't read your meter and make a guess at your bill.

If they cant get to your meter In Michigan you get charged the same as your last bill, and the difference will be settled the next time they are able to get a  reading.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He might get reimbursed for his vet bills, but it looks like he has the right to own a shot-up dog.  Now how is this dog, who was only defending his turf, going to react next time he sees someone in uniform like another cop or a mailman?

I couldn't blame the dog, or the owner, in such a case.  This kind of thing would definitely make me paranoid.  Could the officer have used a tazer or pepper spray ?  Was the officer actually injured by the dog ?  I ask because you're not supposed to resort immediately to lethal force unless the attacker is trying to use lethal force on you (a weapon), and knowing dogs, if one really wants to hurt you, it's going to hurt you before you have a chance to do anything.  Remember the 21-foot rule ?  Dogs are even faster than men are.  You wouldn't have a chance to draw/fire in time to avoid at least a minor injury.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I will shoot back.

Yeah,+1 to that.

Come on my "private property" and shoot my dog for no reason?Things will go down hill fast.

A little different if he was serving a warrant or had official business on said property.

So what would happen if the cop jumped a fence and landed on an upside down piece of lawn equipment and got impaled and died?Who's fault,then?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So true!!! My family had a Siberian Husky who was absolutely sweet. One day a meter man came and  sprayed him with mace, then  kicked him. The dog wasn't growling or barking. New meter man who was paranoid and didn't know the dog.

After that Bamma (our dog) would growl and bark. The UPS guy was very upset because he used to always go to the backyard to pet and play with him. Aftr this happened, bamma wouldn't let him come near him.
 So one day about 2 months later, I got a call from my folk's neighbor. Bamma had broken loose and bit a mailman.
When I got to the house, the mailman was kind of laughing saying that he was already walking to the next house when he saw Bamma bouncing   He We had never found the can.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#33]
That appears to be a 20lb french bulldog....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I bet the so called perp got away .

They should piant little dogs on the sides of the cars like pilots in WWII .
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

They aren't running aggressively into the yard
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#37]
PEPPER SPRAY
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I will shoot back.

Yeah,+1 to that.

Come on my "private property" and shoot my dog for no reason?Things will go down hill fast.

A little different if he was serving a warrant or had official business on said property.

So what would happen if the cop jumped a fence and landed on an upside down piece of lawn equipment and got impaled and died?Who's fault,then?

Due to possible COC violation, I cant post what I would have done. My dogs are my family. I have no children and treat my dogs as such. Shooting at one of my dogs would get the same reaction as shooting at me or my girlfriend no matter who you are.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/bigbang01/copdog.jpg

Damn you beat me to it, at least I have a car from the actual county LE agency

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#42]
My dog is a family member. Cop might get shot back if he shot my dog in my yard. Like shootin one of my kids
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Cop might get shot back if he shot my dog in my yard

You are encouraged to do so, next time they will think twice before shooting a helpless dog.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.tinypic.com/rl9u8j.jpg

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

loving the "half" dog stencil, guess they will have to try harder next time to get full credit.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a fawkin life... calling this guy out on his meter route?  wtf is your prob?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Just saw on the news.....the detective that shot the dog said she was in fear of her life when she was chasing a suspect.......

Hmmmm......
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#49]
cops shooting dogs?

couldn't happen.

just another cop bashing thread.

move along  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

loving the "half" dog stencil, guess they will have to try harder next time to get full credit.

EPOCH

I was wondering about that, too?  Do you get half a dog for an assist?

CO
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top