Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/24/2006 5:43:13 PM EDT
I have an 11 year old Lab mix male and intact...And a neighbor who has an unwanted pure bred Husky female (fixed) which is 2 yrs old. I desperatley want to keep the husky. I introduced them together to test compatibility. Lab mix barked once and just stood there. The Husky seemed disinterested for the most part. The lab mix is an inside dog, the husky and outside dog..

Do you forsee any problems with this combo given the older dogs age? If so what can I expect behaviorlly from each of these dogs?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:47:05 PM EDT
You are bringing anouther dog into your lab's territory. Depending on your dogs temperment is how it will go.

I introduced a 6 moth old puppy into my 14 year old dogs house and all went well. I refuse to allow my dogs to beleive they are alpha tho.
This may cause a problem with yours since yours is intact and more territorial than my fixed female.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:48:46 PM EDT
From my experience the dogs will find a balance between each other if forced. The dogs will find a pecking order to make the new social situation work. Good Luck...you won't need it
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:52:56 PM EDT
Just like people, it depends on the personalities of the dogs. There will be moments in the beginning where they test each other out to find out who is dominant. You need to let them tussle a bit, it's a natural thing that needs to happen with adult dogs. Also, the first week or so you are feeding them, feed one in one room and the other dog in a different room. Once the have their bowls you can open the doors. Eventually you can feed them in the same room, but make sure you fix their bowls and put them down on the floor at the same time, or they might have a real fight

Good Luck!!!.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:15:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:59:22 PM EDT
Any other opinions? I need to decide what to do.. Something else to add... My Lab mix, when I introduced them together. Just dropped his tail, and drooled. Normally he carries it up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:11:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gmtmaster:
Any other opinions? I need to decide what to do.. Something else to add... My Lab mix, when I introduced them together. Just dropped his tail, and drooled. Normally he carries it up.

hmmm, a submissive gesture? Maybe let them play together for a few days and see what they do? Is this an immediate decision? Are they both going to be living in the house?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:08:40 PM EDT
No 1 inside, 1 outside.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:17:50 PM EDT
Your lab is old and set in his ways they will not change if they do not try to kill each other immediately ir will work out. Echo the idea of you asserting you are the alpha though thee "pack" should fall inline. Leave the huskie outside the majority of the time they are hyper and restless it will not mnean good things if it gets bored inside. Try asking PattyMCN shes a dogtrainer she might be helpful.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:58:31 PM EDT
A .22 to the brainpan will solve this problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:00:32 AM EDT
Top Top