Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/1/2006 8:44:25 PM EST
Ah, the nanny-state at its finest.

www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20684924-1702,00.html

Dog lead banned after blinding girl

November 01, 2006 08:51pm
Article from: AAP

A RETRACTABLE dog lead brand was banned nationally today – but it came too late for 10-year-old north Queensland girl Louise Hiatt.

Louise lost the sight in her left eye after her Woofaz brand lead snapped back and hit her while she was walking her dog at Cairns in January.

Louise lost her iris and lens in the eye and was left with scarring across her cornea.

"When I saw gooey stuff and blood I said to myself `I hurt it really badly'," Louise said to the Nine Network tonight.

Despite being rushed to Brisbane's Queensland Eye Centre, Louise lost sight in the eye.

"Her eye was collapsed. It had no form to it at all," Louise's emotional mother Michelle said to the Nine Network.

Consumer group CHOICE conducted tests on the lead after being contacted by the Hiatt family and alerted the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) requesting a ban on the Woofaz lead which sold for just $2.

The ACCC officially banned the lead today.

Michelle Hiatt applauded the move.

"I'd just hate this to happen to someone else," she said in a statement.

"It's not like a cut that will leave her with a scar on her leg – she has no sight in that eye."
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:06:04 PM EST
No comment on the story, but I just shake my head at all the idiots with the stupid retractable leashes. You have no control over your dog at all with one. I walk a wide swath around people I see with those type of leashes. I made my dogs leashes myself, 1" solid webbing with a heavy duty snap thing (like you'd use on a gate latch) on the end hooked up to a choke collar. I've yanked his ass of the ground with it when he needed it, otherwise a quick snap is enough (120lb Chessie). Can't stand irresponsible dog owners. Train the dog, keep it quiet (no barking unless intruder), and don't use your neighbors yards as a bathroom (for you or the dog). I've actually been considering running a line from an electric fence charger out to the street to give the inconsiderate dogs a shock for not pissing in their own yards. Ok, I'll stop ranting, just that I took the little guy for a walk earlier and grew tired as always of the poorly trained dogs (liitle squeaky ones to german sheps) trying to attack my dog who was trying to ignore them and walk along minding his own business as he was trained. He is also trained to go to the bathroom on command before we leave, otherwise he has to hold it till we get back. If they only knew what would happen to their dogs if it managed to bite my dog.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:44:16 PM EST
What is $2 Aus? $.09 US?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:50:57 PM EST
This really is pathetic.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:34:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By broncobisley1:
No comment on the story, but I just shake my head at all the idiots with the stupid retractable leashes. You have no control over your dog at all with one. .....

-Um.... some of them have triggers that when pressed, "locks" the reel in place.

And many even has a locking deal for the trigger, so that you can (for example) let out two feet of a fifteen-foot leash and then press the trigger, and then press the trigger lock--and the reel locks in place (two feet) until the locking thing is flipped off.
So it works as whatever-length you set it to.
~
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:39:45 AM EST
Shit, I'm blind in my right eye, so I can relate to the victim in that way. However, how does one get a dog leash to hit you in the face like that ? I'm having trouble picturing how this happened.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:40:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Floppy_833:

No comment on the story, but I just shake my head at all the idiots with the stupid retractable leashes. You have no control over your dog at all with one. .....

-Um.... some of them have triggers that when pressed, "locks" the reel in place.

And many even has a locking deal for the trigger, so that you can (for example) let out two feet of a fifteen-foot leash and then press the trigger, and then press the trigger lock--and the reel locks in place (two feet) until the locking thing is flipped off.
~

Yeah, the problem is a lot of people just don't try to reel the damn dog in...they leave the leash set at its' maximum length the whole damn time
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:41:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Floppy_833:

~

Aye I have more control of my dog with my lead than with a regular leash.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:45:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2006 1:45:39 AM EST by GhostRing]

Originally Posted By Bob1984:
Shit, I'm blind in my right eye, so I can relate to the victim in that way. However, how does one get a dog leash to hit you in the face like that ? I'm having trouble picturing how this happened.

Probably some POS (like most products that use Z's for S's) that snapped back at her
face while under tension. Clip must have failed.

I do feel really bad for the little girl though.
Top Top