Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 6/4/2008 7:04:46 PM EST
Anybody have first hand experience? Our dog is a 8.5 y/o female black lab mix, ~79 lbs. She is very active so the 6 weeks couch potato rest is going to be a problem.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:06:57 PM EST
Just had the surgery for my dog. He is doing great. He was active the next day, but to the cage he went. The problem is how well he felt afterwards. It was hard to keep him from re-injuring it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:11:26 PM EST
Sounds very expensive. What is your plan to keep her chilled out?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:18:30 PM EST
Mine had her second ACL repair 2.5 years ago at the age of 10. She is doing well, but more importantly her quality of life would be horrible had we not done it. It's worth doing, and the recovery isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:21:40 PM EST
My dog came to me as a foster who'd just had an ACL surgery. She's naturally a couch potato, so I didn't have to work too hard to keep her still... for several days, I took her out to do her business, and then she wanted to come right back in. Heck, as the leg improved, I had to drag her out for some longer walks.

Basically, for the first few days, she'll be limping badly... she knows not to put weight on it. She'll probably want to spend a lot of time licking that leg. The problem will be after she can put weight on it but before it's completely healed. I would keep her confined, and only walk her on a short leash. Take her for progressively longer walks to help strengthen the leg and to help her burn off energy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:29:45 PM EST
Our canine had a torn ACL this last spring....
Nine year old Black Lab weighing nearly 80lbs.

Could not put any weight on the leg.

It was darn near "put her down" time as the surgery was nearly $1K.

Doc did a series of tests to make sure everything else was fine. (heart,
blood, etc... no sense fixing something when something else goes out).

Once she got a clean bill of health, Doc opened her left rear leg and
the ACL was not repairable. He used monofilament line (AKA 60lb
fishing line) to secure what was left of the tendon and drilled a hole in
bone to attach it.

I don't know what the exact name of the procedure was.

She was laid up for about three weeks. Pain meds and penicilian.

Trying to keep her mellow was a chore.

Now she's like, she never had any problem before.

Several other friend's canines have had it done. It's not cheap and
had to figure, I piss away more money on "crap" than what this
procedure cost.

Much luck to your canine.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:35:32 PM EST
My brother has had 2 dog tear acl's so far, neither was treated because some trials have showen that if the dog is activity restricted after the injury untill scar tissue forms the outcome in terms of mobility and associated pain is the same as if it had the surgery. My elkhound has a torn tendon in the rear leg and our orthopedic vet actually sugested we leave it alone, she also had a small bone chip which was removed, at this point a year later she show no sign of an injury. Vet said the poss of arthritis is greatly increased but that attempting to reattach the tendon would probably not greatly change the outcome.
Top Top