Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/2/2012 6:54:04 PM EDT
I am going to South Carolina next week to pick up a Boykin Spaniel he's going to be my new hunting partner and family pet I am considering feeding him Nutro Ultra puppy and if that works out I will continue feeding Nutro when I take him off of the puppy food, has anyone had any experiences with this food or can you recommend me something better. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Nutro is an excellent food, you should be very happy with it.  I fed my dogs Nutro for years and was sponsored by Nutro.  I've got my dogs on IAMS now, its fine, but if I could afford to, I would have them on Nutro.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I feed my dogs nutro lamb n rice. Some of the best food out
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Do your research and check the ingredients. Nutro isn't bad but it certainly isn't the absolute best either. Taste of the Wild, Diamond, Evo...ect...ect... are all extreamly good brands. Blue Buffalo Wilderness isn't bad either, maybe just a step above Nutro puppy
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering the cost of holistic dog foods, and how little a puppy eats, have you considered a BARF diet?
Or just buying ground beef and chicken breasts in bulk and a rice cooker and making him food that you KNOW whats in it?

It's not cost effective when they get bigger, but one thing I have learned is you do don't want to switch up their food often. Every time my ex wanted to try some new wonderful not made from chicken beaks dog food they would get the runs every time.

None of my adult dogs ever got purina or god forbid "Dad's" but I could not rationalize dog food that is anywhere near the cost per pound of fresh ground meat from the butcher.

For example, look at the cost of dog treats per pound if your store marks their sales tags that way. Beggin strips at wally world were $17 a POUND. Prime rib is 10 bucks a pound at the butcher.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]
We feed Canidae, and only Canidae to our dogs, and have had fantastic results for years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to feed mine raw food until it got too expensive.

Now I feed him Taste of the Wild, eithe the bison and venison or salmon formula.  It's been working very well so far.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do your research and check the ingredients. Nutro isn't bad but it certainly isn't the absolute best either. Taste of the Wild, Diamond, Evo...ect...ect... are all extreamly good brands. Blue Buffalo Wilderness isn't bad either, maybe just a step above Nutro puppy

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Solid Gold Wolf Cub.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out dogfoodadvisor.com it is pretty informative.  I use Nutro Max Large Breed Puppy for my two GSD's.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I raised two Rotties on Nutro.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive got my 1 year old @ 130 pound lab, and a lil yorkie on beniful lam and rice!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ive got my 1 year old @ 130 pound lab, and a lil yorkie on beniful lam and rice!

Yummy, ingredents that the dogs cannot digest! Hope you like spending more on dogfood in the long run.

In case you didn't know, most store-brand dog foods contain corn in fairly large quantities, which dogs cannot digest and it just passes right through them. Normally you'll be feeding your dogs more of the lower quality food then you would of a higher quality food like BB, TOTW, Diamond...ext...

OP, stick with a good quality food and you're dogs will be thanking you later for it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]

I use nutro lamb and rice for my dog.

A buddy of mine breeds Boykins; I think he does the BARF thing though.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed - Nutro is good, and God bless you for caring.  If you end up feeding Nutro your dog is lucky and will enjoy the benefits of a fine food.  However, there are even higher quality foods out there.  It's usually a matter of convenience (do you have stores close by that carry the other lines), and the cost.  When you get into premium and near premium foods, you can usually cycle between them somewhat often without causing any GI distress in your dog, so you can alternate between more and less expensive premium foods.  Premium green tripe is a good example of a food your dog can benefit greatly from even if you feed it only once a week or a couple times a month.  Good luck
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Trust me if i could afford the good quality dog food i would the Army don't pay to great. But the baneful seems to be making a hard turd and is putting some good weight on him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Diamond is $28/40lbs and can be found in many retail stores.  They do have a product finder at their website.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#18]
thats about what i pay now! going to switch it up soon thanks for the info guys.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top