Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 5:26:00 PM EDT
Few weeks back I was given a fourteen month old AKC Registered male black lab, beautiful smart animal, fetches like a machine, can catch a frisbee in the air 90% of the time, swims like  duck. Problem is I don't duck or bird hunt. I hunt deer and coyotes. Deer are out of the question, no way I can drag his big ass up a tree or expect him to be quiet. Is there a possibility I can train him to hunt/track coyotes? Could I use him as a decoy, to draw them out or to distract them so I can get a shot? Any suggestions are appreciated.

rk
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
is that even legal in your state?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I see about two law enforcement cars a year passing by. I only hunt on private land anyway. Not a problem. Farmers call me from three counties to hunt coyotes.

rk
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't use a dog as a decoy
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems to me I read something a few years ago about using a dog for coyote hunting.

Was a female Black Lab IIRC.  The dog would venture out a 100 or more yards and lure them in, then draw them toward it's owner, staying far enough away from the yotes to avoid getting jumped.  It was pretty interesting.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You're  gonna wind up shooting your dog on accident.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
or alternatively:  a coyote does get the jump and then you're too far away to help and you cant  shoot b/c you cant accurately shoot at 2 fighting animals.     you either shoot and kill your AKC (AKA expensive) dog or the coyote rips your dogs throat out because its a lot lower and faster and meaner b/c its a wild animal and not a domesticated animal.  yotes aint frisbees.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, just love the dog and he'll love you back.  Enjoy the time with your best friend.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you need to hunt the yotes and leave the dog at home...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to The Coyote Gods website and poke around their forum.  They use airedales, but you can probably get some answers there.

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dude, just love the dog and he'll love you back.  Enjoy the time with your best friend.  

+1

He'll protect/defend you, your family and your home with his life.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1  I can't think of a way to use a big black lab for coyote hunting.  There are other sports though, rally obedience, Retrieving challenges, Dock Dog, Tracking in general.  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Problem is I don't duck or bird hunt.
rk

As you said, that is the problem.  Buy a remington 870 and a few cases of steel and bird shot and go do something your new best friend will LOVE!!!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They are great for retrieving doves, if you shoot them.  

shoot the dog or the doves?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the above - Labs aren't built for Coyote hunting, sounds like a waste of time and effort and your dog's well being. You could easily wind up with an injured or dead lab, and no coyote. Labs aren't really effective biters. They're strong and tireless, but not built for combat....and hunting coyotes may come to that.

Just enjoy a great pet - and black labbies are great pets.

FWIW, I've been hunting yotes for a long time, and I've NEVER had a need for a dog. Try a wounded rabbit call, and stay still and upwind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top