Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 7:56:00 AM EDT

Dog Attacks Horse, Horse Throws Cop

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A wild melee in Golden Gate Park left a mounted police officer and a dog owner injured, a dog with a bullet wound and a horse badly mauled.

The wild scene began Sunday when a woman illegally let her pit bull dog off its leash, said San Francisco police spokesman Sgt. Neville Gittens.

Sgt. David Herrera, mounted on a police horse known as "AAA Andy," yelled at her to leash the dog, but the dog attacked his steed.

Herrera was tossed to the ground and the dog owner was kicked in the face by the horse.

The horse took off with the dog in pursuit.

Another officer spotted the dog and fired two shots as it resumed the attack. One hit the animal, and it ran into some bushes.

Herrera was treated for back and neck injuries. The woman suffered head injuries and a broken finger.

The horse was recovering at the police stables and the dog, which survived the bullet wound, was picked up by Animal Care and Control. Police were reviewing the dog's history to decide whether to cite or charge the dog's owner, said Sgt. Peter Dacre.
---------------------------------------------

Big damn mess over a dumb woman letting her dog off the leash.

Sheesh...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Ban the pitbull, throw that stupid bitch in jail!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty good shooting. People underestimate how difficult it is to hit a small fast moving target with a handgun.

I dont know shit about horses, but had assumed that a horse would just stomp on any dog that attacked it???
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#3]
This stuff qualifies as news?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Here we go, I've got some chips and a soda.

Damn right she should be charged.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This stuff qualifies as news?
View Quote

oh yes!

quarantine for the dog + care=$
rehab and care for the horse=$$
rehab and care for the officer=$$$
prosecuting the dumb woman=$$$$

The tax payers pay a big bill for all that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Dumb bitch!

Hopefully the horse kicked her face in real good!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]
People who own animals are barbarians.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
That's it, BAN women who own dogs.
For the children, of course.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#9]
POOR DOG should've shot the horse for kicking the woman and throwing the cop. The puppy just wanted to play
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Come on now if it was a police dog and the situation was reversed they would find that the officer had made a mistake but since she was the first black female officer to graduate from the academy nothing would happen. Oh wait nm.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I am no equestrian, but doesn't it seem like a police horse would be trained to remain calm around even loud, vicious dogs? I mean, WTF happens when ol' AAA Andy gets punched by a drunk or a rioter? He pitches Officer Firendly and charges off through the crowd?

All that said, her dog, her fault, her ass in jail.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoot the dog. Shoot the horse. Shoot the dogowner. Shoot the officer... er wait a minute here...

Just shoot the dog and the owner.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dont know shit about horses, but had assumed that a horse would just stomp on any dog that attacked it???
View Quote

In the food chain, you don't get lower than a horse.  They've learned to pretty much just run.  When you see people riding horses, the people earned the horses trust/trained the horses to work, but you never quite get rid of that "all I can do to save my ass is panic and run" instinct.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am no equestrian, but doesn't it seem like a [red]police horse would be trained to remain calm around even loud, vicious dogs[/red]? I mean, WTF happens when ol' AAA Andy gets punched by a drunk or a rioter? He pitches Officer Firendly and charges off through the crowd?

All that said, her dog, her fault, her ass in jail.
View Quote

The dog wasn't just loud and vicious, it attacked the horse - "horse was badly mauled".
I don't think any amount of training could make a horse (or any animal) just sit there while a pitbull gnawed on it's leg.
CR
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmm, never been bitten by a Pitbull, but I've been bitten by a Police horse.(This is actually true) I say the horse started it, the pitbull showed him he wasn't gonna take his jack-shoed crap, so the horse had to assault a female non-combatant (ala-Lon Horiuchi) then another SFPD gang member pulled his gat on this valiant canine that was merely defending his kibble rights.

Dumb owner should keep leash on in public park. Dogs love to harrass horses. Even after they get kicked for it. They just harrass them from farther away. SF should bill her for all costs. Including the therapy for the horses "mental anguish", and the horses mate for whatever the PC term for "can't get no booty" is. Stupid Twat.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Horse should have punted the womans head clean off her shoulders. Dog is lucky all he got was a bullet wound. Horse could have drop kicked it into next week.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Pangea, don't you know that people can no longer "own" animals in San Francisco?
Now you are only the animals "care taker" because it would be Barbaric to own an animal.
(I just had some wild pig sausage that was fantastic)
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
the woman should sue the police deptment for police brutality. The horse is considered a cop in this case so a cop striking an unarmed female should be charged with assault and battery. Then the cop (man) should be a desk cop since he cannot even handle his partner.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are not joking then I think you are an idiot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never met a horse I didn't want to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]
This is obviously anti pit propaganda.We have been assured time and again what loveable,gentle little critters these pits are.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I am serious if every police dept. thinks that a police dog or horse is considered a police officer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am serious if every police dept. thinks that a police dog or horse is considered a police officer.
View Quote

I'm not joking you are an idiot.

Dogs, horses, etc. that are trained to do certain tasks for law enforcement agencies are not considered police officers. However they are considered more valuable than most other animals. Often on par with seeing eye dogs, or other "assistance" type animals.

On the use of force apparently that horse knew who was responsible for this incident.............
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the woman should sue the police deptment for police brutality. The horse is considered a cop in this case so a cop striking an unarmed female should be charged with assault and battery. Then the cop (man) should be a desk cop since he cannot even handle his partner.
View Quote

You are half right, the person that let the dog loose, that caused all the mayhem should be sued. For the damages to the horse, injuries to the officer, cost of vet bills and boarding the pit bull, the cost of 2 bullets, time to clean the gun that fired them, and wear and tear on the gun that had to fire the bullets.

Oh and I forgit the dog owner should also have to pay for the police invetigation, and for any time that the officer invovled in the shooting has to take off as a result of this incident.

And while we are at it attorneys fees, for the city reference any sttelement/suits brought because of the irresponsible acts of the pit bull owner.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]
But the poor wittle poochie was just defending its territory from the big mean policeman and his mean equine.[>(]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you are not joking then I think you are an idiot.
View Quote

Of course I was joking, but yes, I am an idiot.[BD]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#28]
And this happened in SF where Diane Whipple was mauled to death. These dogs and their owners are a very serious threat these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top