Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 10:13:19 AM EDT
I typing this while my new buddie is outside drying off from his second bath in 2 days, what a lovable little racal.
Let me explain.
Monday I drove an hour north to hunt crow at a DNR wildlife area and as I was leaving I stopped by the ranger office for info on restricted areas.
While I was talking to the gal a black lab came peeking around the office corner and boy he had the most take me home orange eyes I had ever seen. I was petting him and scratching his ears when the DNR lady told me that he was the latest in a never endint stream of abandoned pets there. Since I already have a 110 pound Chocolate Lab at home and live in the burbs it was all I could do to not take him home. Told the wife and she said if I wanted to go get him we would work out something and try to find him a new home.
Laid in bed all night feeling terible about not bring the fella home and the next mng called up there and they didnt know where he was. The dogs usually either get shot by hunters or starve to death or some other pitifull end.
I called several times on tues and wed but still no sign so I said fuck it, I will drive back up and look around and that is the best I can do to help clear my conscience.
I no sooner pulled in and was driving by a picnic area and spotted a black lab. I drove over and the picnickers claimed not to own him.
It wasnt the SAME dog. This was a lab about a year old and had a lot of puppy in him. He was filthy, muddy, skinny but still happy to lick my hand and be petted. I had some water and he acted like he hadnt had a drink in days.
I made a decision then that I may never know what happened to the one I saw on monday but this guy was getting near the end of his rope and I couldnt look in the mirror if I didnt take him home.
He ate like a pig and drank water like a man in the desert when I got him home.
The bad part is now I think there is something wrong with his hips but he doesnt seem to be in pain, he walks a little funny and its obvious there is something not right. It may be something that he can live a full life with, it may not. We have an appointment with the vet in a couple weeks. Till then he seems OK.
He is however a absolute heartbreaker. He is so lovable and happy to be petted and loved on.
The old dog isnt quite sure what to think of this whipper-snapper but I think if he stays they will be best buds.
Im not sure at this point if we are going to keep him long term, if I knew of someone who would take him and treat him as well as he should be treated I would probably let him go. However the wife and I are becomeing very attached very quick. He is about half housebroke and can sit, laydown, seems to understand what no means and comes at a whistle. Seems fairly smart.
Anybody in central or norhern Indiana interested and willing to take VERY GOOD care of this little rascal let me know.
We call him Jasper for the name of the Park where I found him.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You're a good man. Bless you...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#3]
ditto...God bless you
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I look in the little guys eyes and I cant imagine the soul-less batards who do things like this. If you decide you do not want a pet at least take it to a pound where it will at least be euthenized instead of suffering a long protracted death.
I went earlier and got Jasper a collar to use on our existing invisible fence and he has got zapped a couple time while I am trying to train him he seems to be catching on. He hasnt barked since I brought him home yesterday and I think someone had used a bark collar on him.
We will see what the vet says about the hips but I didnt think hip displasia showed up untill the dog was a few years old. He could be but that old I suppose but he seems to have a lot of "puppy" in him, another question that hopefully the vet can help with. He is strictly on a leash or a tie out for now when outside untill he understands the invisible fence thing. I already ran up to pet smart and got the name tags that they make on the spot so at least if he gets lost he can be ID'd. I am also going to ask the vet to check and see if he has a "chip" in him, maybe can find out who the heartless asshole is who dumped him.

The King size bed was crowded before at nite with the 110 pound Chocolate, I guess the wife wont mind the couch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top