Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2013 5:04:27 AM EDT
I'm referring to civilian jobs, not Military.  How many people work for a company that drops everything to play the National Anthem or Pledge every morning.  The company I work for over the past 8 years does it every morning, 365 days a year, and arranges to have veterans sing it live every Veterans Day to an audience followed by breakfast for us (vets).
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
nope but we do have a flags out front ...this is Texas you cant have a US flag without the Texas flag
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of this in a private workplace.

In catholic grade school we did the pledge and prayer every morning.  That catholic school ran discipline like a military school...especially with their flag protocol.  
In public school we never did any of that.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
We have the pledge displayed. We have numerous American flags displayed. We have numerous NRA stickers displayed.

We also have a "God bless our troops, especially our snipers" sticker displayed.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In catholic grade school we did the pledge and prayer every morning.  That catholic school ran discipline like a military school...especially with their flag protocol.  

View Quote

I went to catholic grade school too. The nuns that ran the place seemed like they were trained in the Third Reich.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I went to catholic grade school too. The nuns that ran the place seemed like they were trained in the Third Reich.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also went to catholic school, but never had any nuns. Our school did do the pledge and prayer. Its funny cause I never do either one now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The company I work for isn't some small mom or pop operation either.  It's a publicly traded company with over 26000 employees.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
No. But we do have US Flags everywhere even though we are an international company.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#9]
until we get back to individual freedom being paramount, im not pledging anything to a nation that refuses to keep its part of that bargain
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I usually start the day with Pink Floyd
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. I've worked probably 30 various jobs in my life, never once said the pledge before a work day.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. I've worked probably 30 various jobs in my life, never once said the pledge before a work day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
3rd grade teacher, so yes to the Pledge. I also make my kids sing the National Anthem. For most, English is not their native tongue and they do better than 95% of the population.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Not just no, but 'lol, no'.

My immediate group of co-workers is Asian, Russian, Indian, and one self-described 'Palestinian' from UAE. Nobody would know what the fuck we were talking about.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I think if I ever hire a full time employee I'm going to make him recite the Money Speech from Atlas Shrugged.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I think they used to do that in Russia.  Here in the USA we don't need to pledge our fealty to the state on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Huh, so everyone gathers somewhere and rattles off the pledge, or everyone gets up and does it in their office or workplace? If someone refuses, like for religious reasons?  

We recited the pledge and sang the national anthem when I as in public school. I think we also recited the pledge in Catholic school, not 100% sure on if we did it every day. I think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The company I work for isn't some small mom or pop operation either.  It's a publicly traded company with over 26000 employees.

Huh, so everyone gathers somewhere and rattles off the pledge, or everyone gets up and does it in their office or workplace? If someone refuses, like for religious reasons?  

We recited the pledge and sang the national anthem when I as in public school. I think we also recited the pledge in Catholic school, not 100% sure on if we did it every day. I think so.

Everyone (Employees and customers) that can hear it playing over the PA system generally stop where they're at, and usually face the giant flag we have flying from a tower, while some buildings may have a flag hanging inside somewhere.  No one is required to salute, but Employees are expected to stop if they can hear it.  People driving machinery or are inside buildings where they can't hear it usually keep on doing whatever they are doing since they have no idea its playing.  I'm not sure what HR would do to someone that doesn't stop, but I'd imagine nothing.  It's an unenforceable request
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Everyone (Employees and customers) that can hear it playing over the PA system generally stop where they're at, and usually face the giant flag we have flying from a tower, while some buildings may have a flag hanging inside somewhere.  No one is required to salute, but Employees are expected to stop if they can hear it.  People driving machinery or are inside buildings where they can't hear it usually keep on doing whatever they are doing since they have no idea its playing.  I'm not sure what HR would do to someone that doesn't stop, but I'd imagine nothing.  It's an unenforceable request
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What company? If it's publicly traded with 26k employees, this should be easy to confirm and protect your anonymity.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What company? If it's publicly traded with 26k employees, this should be easy to confirm and protect your anonymity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to go with Disney.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#22]
No.  And it seems kinda odd to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Yup, teacher.   Pledge every morning.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with Disney.  
View Quote

Disney World and their related properties make a large part of their coin off foreign tourists. I doubt they'd do this and risk "offending" someone.

I consider myself extremely patriotic and I think the Pledge, while well-intentioned, is some creepy groupthink BS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't work for Disney.  I refuse to work for any company that is anti 2A.  Disney also has way more than 26000 employees.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't work for Disney.  I refuse to work for any company that is anti 2A.  Disney also has way more than 26000 employees.
View Quote

So...?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The employees are "expected to stop".
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even like it when kids say the pledge of allegiance at school.  That stuff is way too nationalist for my taste.  Independence and freedom is what I'm for, no mindless robots who get brainwashed to believe we live in some perfect country.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I worked for the government for 30 years and we never did that. Why would a company feel the need to demonstrate its patriotism in this way? I'd be suspicious of motives.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Been in the work force going on 40 years.  I have never heard of such a practice anywhere.  Odd to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My immediate group of co-workers is Asian, Russian, Indian, and one self-described 'Palestinian' from UAE. Nobody would know what the fuck we were talking about.
View Quote

Lol.  Is that like a "self-described Hispanic"?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I worked for the government for 30 years and we never did that. Why would a company feel the need to demonstrate its patriotism in this way? I'd be suspicious of motives.
View Quote

We've been doing it for over 30 years apparently.  Not sure what the company would stand to gain from doing it, especially over 3 decades.  At this point I'd call it a tradition here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Seems really strange to say the least. My day at work usually started with watching Doctor Who with the Geek Squad guys or laughing at the things customers forget to wipe from their history before sending their computers in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#35]
nope and see tank

ETA: we "end" the day with the national anthem
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#36]
We get the pledge and the national anthem. I work in a public elementary school.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#37]
No, but we do have a large American flag flying prominently at the building entrance.

They are also pretty attentive about keeping it maintained. Once I did notice some fraying, sent facilities an e-mail and within an hour someone emailed me back that they had replaced the flag.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would that be unreasonable?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#39]
No pledge or anthem but since I work on an Army post our day starts with reveille and being a former grunt if I am on post when it starts I will get out of my car stand at attention and face the garrison flag like everyone else
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm referring to civilian jobs, not Military.  How many people work for a company that drops everything to play the National Anthem or Pledge every morning.  The company I work for over the past 8 years does it every morning, 365 days a year, and arranges to have veterans sing it live every Veterans Day to an audience followed by breakfast for us (vets).
View Quote

We didn't do either when I was in the army.  The closest thing we had was "Reveille" in morning and "To The Colors" / "Retreat at 5.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes.  We stop everything and say the Pledge everyday.

<-- school teacher
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
until we get back to individual freedom being paramount, im not pledging anything to a nation that refuses to keep its part of that bargain
View Quote

i'm going with this.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palestinian-adjacent

Apparently all you have to do is consider yourself "down with the struggle" to call yourself Palestinian. He tried to explain it once and I just kind of smiled and nodded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...?

So that's his cover story and he's sticking to it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's the company? Or I'm hoisting the BS flag.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Not at my business.

I start the day hoping I won't get bit
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure why this seems unbelievable to so many people.  If you visit the Florida forum, you could easily figure it out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not sure why this seems unbelievable to so many people.  If you visit the Florida forum, you could easily figure it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps, but why be coy? It's a simple question and we shouldn't have to research a claim *you* made.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't you just post it in here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top