Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:11:04 PM EDT by BeetleBailey]
Specifically, Yellowtail Shiraz. Been opened and recorked for like six months

ETA: my real question is, will it kill me to drink it? I have freaking strep or soemthing and Tooties is closed for the night. My throat is killign me
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:07:32 PM EDT
I always did, but why leave any?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:07:37 PM EDT
How long we talking?

Just for a party? Or a glass, then a glass next week?

Just for a party, leave it out. But I always like chilled/cold wine so ours is always in the fridge.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:08:11 PM EDT
Just finish the bottle.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:08:42 PM EDT

Its been out and recorked for about six months now
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:11:38 PM EDT by HoustonHusker]
No. We use good stoppers and it's fine. I wouldn't recommend doing it for weeks though...

HH

ETA: That's my wife's favorite wine and brand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:09:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:09:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:09:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:

It's vinegar by now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:10:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

toss it

+1

buy a new one they arent expensive
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT
my real question is, will it kill me to drink it? I have freaking strep or soemthing and Tooties is closed for the night. My throat is killign me
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:10:38 PM EDT

Specifically, Yellowtail Shiraz

Buy more Yellowtail! Momma luvs shoes!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:12:22 PM EDT

my real question is, will it kill me to drink it? I have freaking strep or soemthing and Tooties is closed for the night. My throat is killign me

it wont kill you, but it will taste like shit. i speak from experience.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:12:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomislav:

It's vinegar by now.

Toss it, reds can be corked and saved for a day or two at most. Don't refrigerate red wines ever.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:14:10 PM EDT by realist]

air is always a bad thing..

Depends how much bacteria got in when you opened it.. did you have your lips on it ?

barring the possibilty of Bacteria, ( keeping it corked between pours) ... and then storing the bottle in and upside down angle to keep the air off the cork.. it would be alright for a time but not for long term.. IMHO

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:14:13 PM EDT
Smell it.
If it still smells like wine then try it.
If it doesn't taste like wine then..........
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:16:01 PM EDT
Chug it. Relief from sore throat is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:17:06 PM EDT

gargle with warm salt water.. heavy on the salt.. gargle deep till you gag on the salt.. you want to coat it well.. the salt keeps the bacteria from reproducing.. really.. try it
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:18:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By realist:

gargle with warm salt water.. heavy on the salt.. gargle deep till you gag on the salt.. you want to coat it well.. the salt keeps the bacteria from reproducing.. really.. try it

+1. NOTHING works like salt water on sore throats.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:21:02 PM EDT
I have drunk wine stored in an opened bottle in my fridge for longer than 6 months and the wine was just fine.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:21:06 PM EDT

ETA: my real question is, will it kill me to drink it? I have freaking strep or soemthing and Tooties is closed for the night. My throat is killign me

Dude, throw it out and buy another Yellowtail. It is not expensive in the least. Red wine should not be kept for more than say 3 days after it has been opened.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:34:28 PM EDT
k, thnkas for the replies
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:52:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fly-Navy:

Dude, throw it out and buy another Yellowtail. It is not expensive in the least. Red wine should not be kept for more than say 3 days after it has been opened.

Yep. Deep six it. Reds can go without refrigeration after opening. Whites should be refrigerated after opening. Both can last a few days after opening.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:52:16 PM EDT
Snort some warm salt water. Both nostrils, one at a time. Yeah, it burns some, but it will heal ya up!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:04:11 PM EDT
unless some wild yeast or other vinegar causing bugs got in it it'll be fine health wise
I rarely drink wine and I have multiple bottles open on my liquor shelf from well over 6 months ago.
the taste on a fine wine(nothing I drink would qualify as fine wine) might degrade from oxidation, but unless an alcohol tollerant microbe got in it while it was open it won't kill you
I think the worst that is likely to happen will be the wine becoming vinegar
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:06:06 PM EDT
in honor of this thread I just poured myself a glass of my watermelon wine. been sitting on the shelf in a screw top wine bottle for a long time
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:14:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:
in honor of this thread I just poured myself a glass of my watermelon wine. been sitting on the shelf in a screw top wine bottle for a long time

Are you drinking Arbor Mist or something?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:17:58 PM EDT
yellowtail is like $6/bottle, right?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:37:17 PM EDT

I use the burgandy www.carlorossi.com/home.htm for cooking, and then reuse the gallon jugs as fermentors
and I occasionally drink their blackberry and concord grape www.manischewitzwine.com/
the bottles work well to put my homemade stuff into
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:39:54 PM EDT

A lot of companies are going to screw top bottles now. I had a nicer desert wine a while back at a restaurant that came in a screw top bottle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:48:50 PM EDT by Fly-Navy]

Originally Posted By SSeric02:

A lot of companies are going to screw top bottles now. I had a nicer desert wine a while back at a restaurant that came in a screw top bottle.

Why's that? They trying to save money? I've noticed a lot of wines going to synthetic corks.

Something great about popping a cork.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:51:08 PM EDT by AcidGambit]
Yes/no. White, I would, red, I don't...

What you really need, if you don't drink the entire bottle, is to get one of those vacume pump things for wine bottles. Sticking the cork back in and drinking it 3-4days later won't fly, the wine will not be at it's best.

ETA: WHOA I didn't see the 6mo part.. Don't drink that shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:51:14 PM EDT
I been drinking box wine lately.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:54:41 PM EDT
Here's your answer.

This bottle was opened May 15 and reopened 15 minutes ago. Safe to drink? Yes. Pallatable? NO

And nevermind the wall receptacles. I'm redoing my kitchen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:55:59 PM EDT
I don't know a lot about wine.

I'm not fabulous.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:57:57 PM EDT by Lockedon]
six months??? Once you open it it needs to be consumed within a week tops.

Shiraz is my favorite Wine too. Yellow Tail is decent. I actually have a bottle of Black Swan in the fridge right now that I opened two nights ago and intend to finish tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:02:49 PM EDT
Dump it. When you open a bottle plan on drinking it or dumping it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:04:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Which is why I never open a bottle unless I plan on drinking the entire thing that night.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:05:34 PM EDT
DANG IT! i got to throw out alot of wine....I thought wine always aged well but I didn't know about the air part, no wonder my stuff tastes like crap, it's months if not years and has been opened
Aw well..back to Food Lion
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:09:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Gunner:
DANG IT! i got to throw out alot of wine....I thought wine always aged well but I didn't know about the air part, no wonder my stuff tastes like crap, it's months if not years and has been opened

Wine ages well when it's not opened.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:14:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Which is why I never open a bottle unless I plan on drinking the entire thing that night.

Exactly!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:16:55 PM EDT

Why's that? They trying to save money? I've noticed a lot of wines going to synthetic corks.

Something great about popping a cork.

Perhaps cheaper. But more importantly, a metal twist cap will never dry out and allow the wine to be ruined like a real cork can. Remember to store your wines nose down so the cork stays moist.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:17:07 PM EDT

Please tell me you are kidding.

Open a bottle drink it or dump it.

Also holding most mass comerical produced wines for years is not good.

Buy it and drink it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 8:22:30 PM EDT by 1Gunner]
how the heck was I supposed to know?
Its fine to let hard liquors sit opened
Beer is a no-brainer
Wine? who knew it would go bad after a time being opened?
what about coffee liqueur?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:33:13 PM EDT

how the heck was I supposed to know?
Its fine to let hard liquors sit opened
Beer is a no-brainer
Wine? who knew it would go bad after a time being opened?
what about coffee liqueur?

You don't know what you don't know. Some wines do get better with age, some don't. Either way, it is unopened aging.

I tyically drink reds, and will open a bottle, have a little taste, recork and let it sit 30-45 minutes before serving. This allows a limited amount of oxidation to bring out the flavors. You can really notice a distinct difference with many wines.

I don't know about coffe liqueur, but I keep Bailey's in the fridge.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:39:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sydwaiz:
Here's your answer.

This bottle was opened May 15 and reopened 15 minutes ago. Safe to drink? Yes. Pallatable? NO

... , I consider myself only a minor-league wine snob but, Yellowtail Shiraz is not wine
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:56:37 PM EDT

Perhaps cheaper. But more importantly, a metal twist cap will never dry out and allow the wine to be ruined like a real cork can. Remember to store your wines nose down so the cork stays moist.

Neither do synthetic corks. I say use those, since they're more fun. :)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:02:03 PM EDT

I use the burgandy www.carlorossi.com/home.htm for cooking, and then reuse the gallon jugs as fermentors
and I occasionally drink their blackberry and concord grape www.manischewitzwine.com/
the bottles work well to put my homemade stuff into

I have a Cyser in a a Carlo Rossi jug in my garage ready for bottling. They come in handy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:07:15 PM EDT

Here's your answer.

www.rsktool.com/Markspics/yt.jpg
www.rsktool.com/Markspics/ytdump.jpg

Sydwaiz,

your walls are PINK?

tell me a group of five guys and a television crew din't just break into your house and give you a 'makeover'

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:08:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tweeter:

Here's your answer.

Sydwaiz,

your walls are PINK?

tell me a group of five guys and a television crew din't just break into your house and give you a 'makeover'

maybe its "Salmon."
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:48:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tweeter:

Here's your answer.

Sydwaiz,

your walls are PINK?

maybe its "Salmon."

They do look kinda pink don't they. But they're NOT pink. It's called "peach bud". Damn camera. Shit...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top