Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2012 12:07:18 PM EDT
I keep hearing more and more on this UN Arms Trade Treaty.  
The Senate still has to ratify treaties, right?  With this idiot in the White House, I wouldn't put it past him to just EO the fucking thing.  

That's if there isn't a section in this health care bill to allow the president to sign treaties.  Since no one has read the fucking thing...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it takes a 2/3rds vote.

The full process is this..

Ratification Process

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
They can do an end around by not calling it a treaty, as they did with NAFTA. Unilateral action by Obama is always a possibility, too. Think Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I really don't understand why this hasn't gotten more attention here, of all places.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really don't understand why this hasn't gotten more attention here, of all places.

Because, thankfully, 80% of people seem to realize this is all a bunch of tinfoil nuttery.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because, thankfully, 80% of people seem to realize this is all a bunch of tinfoil nuttery.

Wasn't this supposed to get ratified under Clinton's term?  It's been so long that I've forgot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They can do an end around by not calling it a treaty, as they did with NAFTA. Unilateral action by Obama is always a possibility, too. Think Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America.

That wouldn't be very smart on obamas part, that would be legislation via EO and could very well end up with getting the boot either by electing Romney or impeachment and conviction for high crimes and such.  Between now and November 5th there will be no gun control anything, after who knows
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't this supposed to get ratified under Clinton's term?  It's been so long that I've forgot.

People have been wetting their panties over this treaty since Clinton's term, at least.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Pre or Post Roberts?
Pre, I'd say yes, clearly.
Post?  NFC
ETA:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People have been wetting their panties over this treaty since Clinton's term, at least.

Ahh yes.  It's been more than the 3 nanosecond attention span of an ant.  Feel free to ignore it, the totally honest Democrats won't try anything.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#10]
It's the Senate that actually "approves" a treaty by means of a 2/3 vote.

The President is the one who then "ratifies" it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Indeed, but I expected that 20% to be much more vocal.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
Uh, yep.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Indeed, but I expected that 20% to be much more vocal.

Oh if the treaty is signed and ratified, there will be an incredible gnashing of teeth and wailing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#14]
2/3rds until odumbo signs another executive order... for the children.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It has actually come up a number of times.  Here's what I remember from those threads:

1.  Treaties can't override the BOR or the Constitution.  

2.  The treaty is for exportation of small arms to countries such as Somalia and other such trouble spots.

3.  The President can't sign an executive order to implement this proposed treaty.

4.  The NRA is using this as a scare tactic to raise funds.

5.  It's on the tin-foil side of things.

6.  It's been going on for years.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It has gotten attention, it has been discussed on here for years before you were a member.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Please post the text of the UN Gun Ban Treaty.

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Just let me know when I am supposed to start putting blue helmets on my targets at the range.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Please don't take this personally.  But...according to arfcom, obunghole shouldn't be sitting in the white house right now.  So, you'll have to forgive me if I don't underestimate the lengths this mother fucker will go to to disarm us and declare himself king or emperor or whatever.  

I don't put anything past this bastard.  Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Please don't take this personally.  But...according to arfcom, obunghole shouldn't be sitting in the white house right now.  So, you'll have to forgive me if I don't underestimate the lengths this mother fucker will go to to disarm us and declare himself king or emperor or whatever.  

I don't put anything past this bastard.  Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

Well, if we're going to full on nutter-land, he doesn't need a treaty if he's just going to declare that you have to turn your guns over the official political officer.

You're going to need a few more sq mi of duct tape tin foil.

Edit: I guess you need duct tape to hold that much tin foil?  I don't know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top