Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2001 12:55:09 PM EDT
I may be trading for this and would like some advice? TIA
KC  
"Live in near oroville in N. Ca.  Rifle is a mix got it when I was
living in Co. a couple of years ago.
Barrel is colt cut to 18 in. with comp. installed, no bay. lug.  Upper is
colt A1 with forward assist.  Lower from Olympic arms not impressed with
there quality control but works ok.  Rest of parts probaby colt and others.
Have shot it myself only a couple of times, Ca. is a pain in the butt, can
own but too much hassel.  If you take an AR to range people always ask
isn't that illegal."  
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the seller can document for you that the rifle was in preban configuration prior to The Date in 1994, you have to treat it as post-ban.  At the very least you should get most of the serial number from the lower and check with Oly for the date of manufacture.

If the lower is post-ban or the seller can't establish that it actually was assembled in a pre-ban configuration before the ban, legality hinges on whether or not the "comp" (assuming that means recoil compensator a.k.a. muzzle brake) is permantly attached.

The seller probably didn't register the rifle and has had a change of heart and wants to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi, California Kid.

Is it my FFL's responsibility or mine to determine legality?

KC
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
KC Phelps,
tell me how can you legally acquire this rifle? It's already past the deadline to register this rifle and the purpose of the law is to prevent any further ownership. I don't think you can buy, trade, inherit, or otherwise transfer an "Assault Weapon". In fact I know you can't. Is trading your way of getting around the AW laws?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh, I don't live in California?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If I remeber correctly, Atomic Punk, I came to this forum to find out if this was a doable deal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Trade still needs to go through FFL.
Check Oly's web page for the serial number list, Oly has no records about any of its firearms it sold before June of last year.
If it was "manufactured" before 1993 then it would be "safe" (imo) pre-ban.
A letter from the seller stating that is was (as far as he knows) a "defined" assault weapon before the 94 ban would be a good thing.
It should come down to this:
Is it a "true" pre-ban?
How much?
Do you want it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Oops, I see now that "UT"(ah) in your profile. I thought, as you may have guessed, you were from N.Ca. As to your question, if his rifle is properly registered in Ca. he can choose to transfer it out of state through a dealer with FFL. Check with California Department of Justice for definitive answer. It is the goal of these bureaucratic bastards to get these dreaded weapons out of Ca., so you would just be helping them. Only make sure no M-16 parts and it's in post-ban configuration with no threads on barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]
On the seller's end it needs to go through an FFL with a "CA Assault Weapons Permit". Check the CA DOJ site:
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You can also drive it across state lines and sell it to a dealer, I believe.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanx guys.
I want to do this deal,as I'm trading a Garand "Tanker".
The guy claims the reciever was made late '94 I will post what happens.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can also drive it across state lines and sell it to a dealer, I believe.
View Quote

Correct!

An "AW" owner in the PRK needs the services of an FFL with a "CA Assault Weapons Permit" only if he or she is SHIPPING the firearm to an FFL or gunsmith in another state.  The PRK cheerfully allows us to drive out of the state with our property, or back in (if it's registered).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top