I am selling my refridgerator and some guy send me an email that says:

"I am satisfied with the description and condition of the
item listed above by you on the Ad, Please let me know if
the piece is still available for sale and kindly attach more
pictures if available. I have a problem talking on phone
because I'm hearing impaired I look forward to hearing from
you soon.

Chris"

I sent him an email back that basically said I would sell it to him and I get this responce from him:

"Great. I'll send you a check from my bank to cover the cost as I'm happy with your early response.anyway, I'll not be available for the pick-up of the item because of the nature of my job so i got the services of a mover whom will come for the pick up of the item on my behalf.so I'll like you to provide me with the following information so as to expedite the payment for the item.

1.Your full name to be on the check
2.Home or work address
3.Your phone number
4 The final price

As soon as you have cashed the check I'll make arrangement with my mover to come over for the pick-up. Pls do me a favor of removing the Ad from CL as I'm committed to buying it. Have a nice day.

chris"

Does this seem odd to you? Would you sell to this guy?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:08:06 AM EDT
Sounds like a Nigerian scammer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:09:19 AM EDT
Tell him send a postal money order.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:16:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WayfarnStrangr:
Tell him send a postal money order.
yeah your gonna get raped
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:45:08 PM EDT
yeah, screw him. I emailed him back and told him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:48:30 PM EDT
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is wrong with what he posted? Not trying to be an ass, just wondering if there is something missing that I should look for in any future dealings with Craigslist.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:49:04 PM EDT
Yep, classic scam. He will next offer to send you a check in some random amount far more than what you are asking. He will then want you to give the difference to him. I'm surprised they even bother with this one anymore, it's so widely known.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:50:11 PM EDT
Sounds like a big crock of shit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:50:11 PM EDT
i got he idetical email for an autographed bat...then a check came for 1200.00 more then i was asking...they aske i keep my asking price and 100.00 for my troubles...and send the rest back

I called the police instead....SCAM !!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:51:52 PM EDT
So if he would send him a check for the amount he was asking for, how or when does the scam start.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:52:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spikes40:
i got he idetical email for an autographed bat...then a check came for 1200.00 more then i was asking...they aske i keep my asking price and 100.00 for my troubles...and send the rest back

I called the police instead....SCAM !!

I can understand this being a scam, but how does he know if it is a scam until he gets the check.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 3:54:16 PM EDT by mrclark2]
Thats not how it works. The buyer sends the seller a bogus check for an amount larger than the asking price of the item. Buyer asks for the difference to be returned to him. By the time the bank figures out the check is bad, the buyer (usually located in a foreign country) has the money and you're left holding the bag.
The giveaway is when they start offering you more than you're asking.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:54:55 PM EDT
+1 EXACTLY
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:13:30 PM EDT
Scam. I get the damn things on just about everything I list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:15:16 PM EDT
Where's thaat EJECT! pic I misplaced?

It's fucking Craigslist, dude. If they don't(or won't) show up with cash in hand, tell them to fuck off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:33:54 PM EDT
Its a scam, no doubt about it.

The "mover" is a common occurrence.
Top Top