Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 7:16:57 PM EDT
In reading the recently passed anti-lawsuit legislation, the following appears:

Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

(2) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the rights of individuals, including those who are not members of a militia or engaged in military service or training, to keep and bear arms.

This is pretty cut & dry definition of law. Does this mean the end of "gun-free" zones like DC & Chicago?I mean, its not gonna get much clearer than that.

Whats says you?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

(1) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

(2) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the rights of individuals, including those who are not members of a militia or engaged in military service or training, to keep and bear arms.

This is pretty cut & dry definition of law. Does this mean the end of "gun-free" zones like DC & Chicago?I mean, its not gonna get much clearer than that.

Whats says you?

thats what you think, it should stand right there, but some lawmakers like to make shit up
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
stepping stone.

Just need the lawsuits to enforce it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What makes me sad it that it even had to be debated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What makes me sad it that it even had to be debated.

If it was any other law it was be read as if it was written in stone. I do not see how you can argue with that text.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't know that that was in there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I didn't know that that was in there.

In the back of some old, dark closet, Sara Brady is drunk and crying.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Libtards don't have that debate anymore but it won't stop them from banning. They'll just ignore that "shall not be infringed" part as they always have and notice how the media made no mention of this so 99% of the people out there don't even know of that part of the bill and I'd say a good deal of them didn't even pay attention to the bill in its entirety getting passed. The only thing I saw made headlines was the "child locks on pistols" which they seemed to act like it was a bill of itself in the media.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Whats says you?

I would like to think so.

Link?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Good news. Will make it harder for SCROTUS to rule the 2nd isn't an individual right.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]
??? Are you sure about that link? I don't want to impugn sources but if that's in there I'm shocked. It's a double whammy and a real-deal victory for our side... Sounds too good to be true.

Sorry for the cynicism... but I don't know where to find the text of the actual bill to compare.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
They are discussing this over at DU also.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x111302#111303

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=118&topic_id=111111&mesg_id=111111

Keep link cold.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x111302#111303

Keep link cold.

Looking though the thread, it would seem that "billbuckhead" is an imbecile. I mean...really. I read a few more coments by "billbuckhead" and the poor SOb is delusional.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep link cold.

Looking though the thread, it would seem that "billbuckhead" is an imbecile. I mean...really. I read a few more coments by "billbuckhead" and the poor SOb is delusional.

Of course, that is DU.  They are all imbeciles for the most part (except for the Arfcom troll accounts ;) )
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
One of his quotes:

It's like these armsmongers get economic protection to destabilize society

Slow motion somewhat random terror across America brought to you by the Reichwing.

WOW.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
BTW, I've been out of the loop.  Is this the same Protection of the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that was going on in spring of '04?  Minus the AWB part of course.  Congress passed it?  Bush signed it?  HELP!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Whats says you?

Congress "finding" a fact doesn't give it any force of law, because Congress doesn't have a right to alter (or clarify for that matter) the Constitution of the US.  So the wording in the law would have no effect on appeals to restrictive gun laws in the courts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Congress "finding" a fact doesn't give it any force of law, because Congress doesn't have a right to alter (or clarify for that matter) the Constitution of the US.  So the wording in the law would have no effect on appeals to restrictive gun laws in the courts.

True. Additionally, this ain't law yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Whats says you?

The Constituition has been around for how long and those idiots are just figuring it out!  I wonder which god given right we'll get back next?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
It means that we won the last election, and we have a slight majority of senators that believe in the Second Ammendment as written.  Nothing more.  

It's a baby step in the right direction.

Don't get too exited until the SCOTUS makes the same finding.  Even then, the battle will not be over.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
BTW, I've been out of the loop.  Is this the same Protection of the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that was going on in spring of '04?  Minus the AWB part of course.  Congress passed it?  Bush signed it?  HELP!

Brief history of PLCA:

Passed the House in '04. The AWB renewal got tacked on in the Senate, and the sponsors killed the resulting bill (final vote on the resulting bill was at least 80-something against). Reintroduced in this Senate session, and passed with only a worthless gun-lock rider. AFAIK, nothing special is going on with the House version this session.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]
It wouldn't help places like Chicago, unless the State has a 2nd admendment like law.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Libtards don't have that debate anymore but it won't stop them from banning. They'll just ignore that "shall not be infringed" part as they always have and notice how the media made no mention of this so 99% of the people out there don't even know of that part of the bill and I'd say a good deal of them didn't even pay attention to the bill in its entirety getting passed. The only thing I saw made headlines was the "child locks on pistols" which they seemed to act like it was a bill of itself in the media.

That is a good sign, the MSM all ways down plays things that could be bad for the left.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I like this thread.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Bumpage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top