Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/17/2003 4:59:16 PM EDT
Internet discussion boards are great for certain kinds of questions. I believe this is one of them. You can be honest in your answers without fear of reprisal. This is a question that's been on my mind lately. Just curious, but do you think in general that orphans/people who are without family have it worse off than those who have established families? When I say worse off I am talking about being looked down on, seen as disenfranchised, or looked upon with suspicion. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:06:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 5:08:40 PM EDT by sherrick13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:09:25 PM EDT
Orphans are cheaters. Orphans don't have to go to all of those boring and awkward family gatherings.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:10:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13: Because they are unproductive. Heartless but true. Same reason old people are neglected. If we listen to our elders expirences more often we would make less mistakes.
View Quote
Unproductive? Why do you think orphans/fatherless are necessarily unproductive? Just curious. Also, do you perhaps mean [i]helpless[i]?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:17:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gunman0: Orphans are cheaters. Orphans don't have to go to all of those boring and awkward family gatherings.
View Quote
Now THAT was an intelligent statement. [rolleyes] AB
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:49:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By albob:
Originally Posted By gunman0: Orphans are cheaters. Orphans don't have to go to all of those boring and awkward family gatherings.
View Quote
Now THAT was an intelligent statement. [rolleyes] AB
View Quote
Actually, that WAS an intelligent statement!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:57:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:05:48 PM EDT
I don't understand why anyone would want to be borned an orphan?[?]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:15:25 PM EDT
Alot of the comments seem blanketed or nascar-esk. The family and environment makes the child in most cases IMO. A great family regardless of being blood will raise a productive child. Id be super offended if I was an orphan if I read this post.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:16:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13:
Originally Posted By clean_cut:
Originally Posted By sherrick13: Because they are unproductive. Heartless but true. Same reason old people are neglected. If we listen to our elders expirences more often we would make less mistakes.
View Quote
Unproductive? Why do you think orphans/fatherless are necessarily unproductive? Just curious. Also, do you perhaps mean [i]helpless[i]?
View Quote
I should have said unproductive from society's standpoint. It is not a slam on orphans, it is a slam on society.
View Quote
I still don't understand. Why does society think they are unproductive? Can they never get an education and get a job?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:23:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:31:53 PM EDT
Oh. I'm talking about those who grow up in foster homes/institutions because of broken family or no family. Is there a [b]stigma[/b] attached to these individuals, and will this stigma keep them from living truly full lives (i.e. get a white collar job, find a spouse, live the American dream). I guess what I'm asking is will (the American) society give them a fair shake at the good life?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:35:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:37:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13: I am talking about how society either throws them into orphanages or moves them from family to family like they have little value. I am not talking about adopted children. Do you all think we take good care of orphans???????? (not the ones that are adopted)
View Quote
Do we still have orphanages? I thought we did away with them after Annie was a big hit in the 70's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:40:35 PM EDT
Do you think they should get "special" treatment? I mean should get more lenient treatment than say a person from a normal background.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:45:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 6:51:02 PM EDT by KY-Bob]
Ok, here we go. As a son of a Baptist Minister who ran "Childrens Homes" for 11 years in two cities and was essentially raised in direct exposure to these children, I can tell you that most of them were traumatized by early experiences in their lives that affected their judgement. Whether by seeing too much too soon in life or by being isolated in life and not experiencing anything beyond their own yards. Keep in mind that there are almost no children in the system today, and only a few more in the time frame I am talking about, that are true "orphans". Orphans in the sense that they are truly devoid of all family. I would guess that most (95+%) children in the system today either had parents that were not suitable to raise them and were removed from that enviroment. There are very few kids that fit the romantic "both parents lost in a tragic accident and placed in an institution" model. Almost all of them have had very negative experiences in their lives that affect their decision making ability and motivations in life and have been provided bad examples of what success truly is in our society. There are of course exceptions to the rule but most of the people I have run into since then, that were raised in this enviroment, have not been the most successful people in society. However, many of them are very happy and productive, just no doctors or lawyers. To put my statements in perspective, I am 40 years old and my father ran these childrens homes from the time I was 3 to 14 years of age. I called many of these kids my friends but have not been in any steady contact with them. To sum it all up, I think "orphans" have gotten a bad start, may have aquired some shakey social skills, and their success in society and social situations may be affected. (duh!) HTH Bob
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:50:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:50:11 PM EDT
Thanks for the straight reply ky-bob. I wasn't just talking about the true orphan only (as in little Annie) but also from very dysfunctional families.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:58:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 7:00:03 PM EDT by KY-Bob]
I am not sure it is a stigma against orphans. I think it is more likely people reacting to behavior that is not socially acceptable, or perceived as strange. An extreme example, and one that is not intended as derogatory, would be a child raised by wolves. I know this is extreme but think about it. If a person was raised in a dysfunctional environment (ie wolves) they would react in different ways and may act differently in a social situation than most "normal" people would. In other words, I do not think it is active or passive discrimination but more an uncomfortable feeling and therefore a person would create a distance from the individual that makes them feel uncomfortable. All this can be overcome, I just have not seen a lot of it myself. Bob edited because I simply cannot spell...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:02:58 PM EDT
Now it is my turn, Clean_Cut, Why are you asking this question? Bob
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:05:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KY-Bob: Now it is my turn, Clean_Cut, Why are you asking this question? Bob
View Quote
Because...lets just say I can relate to those kids. Something I keep a secret.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:09:07 PM EDT
Humm...I judge people by their actions. Not if their ophans or not. So I personally do not "HATE" ophans.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:16:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By clean_cut:
Originally Posted By KY-Bob: Now it is my turn, Clean_Cut, Why are you asking this question? Bob
View Quote
Because...lets just say I can relate to those kids. Something I keep a secret.
View Quote
Roger that. You going to the ARFCOM shoot? Bob
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:19:56 PM EDT
Hadn't planned on it. Don't know anything about it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 7:27:17 PM EDT by KY-Bob]
Check this out. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=127[/url] and [url]www.gunstock.org[/url] Bob
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:29:08 PM EDT
OK I'll check it out thanks KY-Bob
Top Top