Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/8/2007 5:30:39 PM EST
OK, call me old-fashioned (I'm 41), but the use of the term "Hooked Up" to describe casual sex just disgusts me. Makes the act of making love sound like two dogs having sex and getting "hooked up" (those of you who understand dog anatomy will understand the visual).

I'm not some holier-than-thou moralistic Christian (I am quite the atheist), but it seems like every day we are cheapening and debasing the act of sexual intercourse. There used to be a time when men and women had perhaps, at the most, one or two partners in their life. I've only had one, and my wife has only had one. But these days apparently if you haven't "hooked up" with at least 10 girls or guys by the time you are 20 years old, well then you are practically a virgin.

Whatever happened to innocence and love?

Sorry, rant off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:37:49 PM EST
What generation was it that men or women for that matter only had one partner?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:37:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:38:00 PM EST
No, it doesn't disgust me, but on a similar topic the phrase "making love" sounds cheesy/ corny to me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:39:22 PM EST
Ghetto gutter talk. Can't figure why people think it's cool to speak like this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:40:06 PM EST
It is used to describe anything from making out to having sex.
Besides what is someone supposed to say?
"Why yes my good chap, after leaving the public house for my domicile, I did indeed engage in some rather laborious casual coitus with that lovely strumpet."
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:40:25 PM EST
Hooked up = One night stand
Hanging out = Date

There is actually a pretty good book that came out about four years ago called something like "Hanging out and hooking up."

It was about how traditional "dating" has virtually disappeared from college campuses and went into the long term emotional bagagge young women burden themselves with from hooking up and hanging out. Instead of dating a potential partner and getting to know that person first.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:41:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
"Why yes my good chap, after leaving the public house for my domicile, I did indeed engage in some rather laborious casual coitus with that lovely strumpet."

lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:41:27 PM EST
I am fond of "bumped uglies" "banged" "slept with" or the ever simple "fucked"
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:41:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mallory_Knox:
Yes! I actually stopped talking to a guy I was kinda interested in because all he kept asking was "wanna hook up er what?" ummm, no? I believe he meant "would you like to go out on a date" but was lacking real words.
I could not suffer through a whole date with someone who has nothing to say.
Hook up...eechhh.

Are there really guys that ask if girls want to hook up?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:41:41 PM EST
They "hooked up".
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:41:55 PM EST
Hooked up with your mom for the win.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:42:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

Yes. That sounds much better. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:42:20 PM EST
The "hooking up" model of modern dating has resulted in a great many young women who although being very sexually experianced, they have literally never been on a single date or ever had a boyfriend.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:43:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By JohnCrighton:
OK, call me old-fashioned (I'm 41), but the use of the term "Hooked Up" to describe casual sex just disgusts me. Makes the act of making love sound like two dogs having sex and getting "hooked up" (those of you who understand dog anatomy will understand the visual).

That's because that is basically what hook ups are. Two horny dogs going at it. There's no love involved so calling a drunken fuck 'making love' would be more demeaning. You've got it backwards.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:43:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By JohnCrighton:
<snip> the use of the term "Hooked Up" to describe casual sex just disgusts me. <snip>
Whatever happened to innocence and love?

Sorry, rant off.

Is it really the term "hooked up" that disgusts you? Or is it really the casual sex? If it's the latter then I don't think it matters what you call it because it will disgust you. You then mention love which probably has no context in casual sex or hooking up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:04:58 PM EST
These guys got hooked up!

That's what I think of when someone uses that term.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:09:19 PM EST
"ya gotta let a ho be a ho"

-Eazy-E
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:10:21 PM EST
I don't know if I'm emotionally deficient or what, but I can pretty effectively disassociate fucking from all that emotional silliness that complicates life. I've only come across (heh, heh) one girl who seemed to be able to do the same. Girls do themselves a huge disservice by skanking it up.
Top Top