Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 7:10:24 PM EDT
The US Army's "Delta Force" was directly modeled on the 22nd SAS Regiment of the British Army.

Interestingly, almost from the start the SAS also has two sister "regiments" in the Territorial Army ("Reserve" or "National Guard" in US terms), the 21st and 23rd SAS Regiments.

Do you think the US has a similar associated unit in the Reserves? If not, why?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe there are a couple of SF National Guard units.  No Delta though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, lots of SF units in the Guard. But any specificall tasked for "Delta" counterterrorism?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The only ones I know of are individuals, not groups, who were Rangers when they were regular Army and then stayed on as National Guard after they left the Army.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
20th SFG I think it is.....not Delta, but they are supposd to be a really good unit.  Look it up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt anyone can or will name a a unit since SFOD-D isnt supposed to exist
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in WV, we have a Guard SF unit.  One of their members was my paramedic instructor "back in the day".  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
we have the 19th sf (reserve) here in Buckley WA.

For Delta reserve; Virginia militia

Chris(and no, I am not going to explain it)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
19th and 20th SFG are part of the National Guard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe because Reserve units can't keep OpSec?

Or the skillset is too difficult/expensive to maintain?

But the Brits manage to do it...to the tune of 2X units of the Active component...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
yes.  these dedicated individuals sell jerky and swords at gunshows.  they also spend more time in gun stores than the owners.  these elite soldiers are ready at a momment's notice to answer uncle sam's call, if their wife will let them
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I know a guy who is a Colonel in the gaurd who is a former Delta Trooper.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The National Guard Maintains the reserve component SF Groups (19 & 20th SFG). The Army reserves do not have any specops forces(excepting Civil Affairs units) because they are considered combat arms. The Army reserve transfered all of it's combat arms to the guard or lost them all together way back in the 90's.

As far as Deltal goes. It is open to all branches of the military to include the reserve components. However, if you are a Reserve component soldier and you are selected, you have to go on Active Duty.

ETA- Besides, "Delta" does not exist. It has another title. So the gubment isn't lying when they say that "Delta" does not exist.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
1st Special Forces Operational Detachment - Delta (SFOD-D)?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The TA SAS regiments focus on specific missions other than "PAGODA" rotations (or "counter-revolutionary warfare" AKA 'counterterrorism' or 'CT').

The SAS (overall) has other missions, such as providing personnel for BATTs (British Army Training Teams); counterinsurgency; and deep reconnaissance ("recce").

The TA regiments concentrate on skill sets that don't require intensive maintenance / sustainment training.

21st SAS ("Artists") actually predates 22nd SAS, as 1 and 2 SAS (the WWII regiments) were disbanded.  21 SAS was formed from the Artist's Rifles (TA); The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own) and numbered from 2 SAS and 1 SAS reversed and combined.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The TA SAS regiments focus on specific missions other than "PAGODA" rotations (or "counter-revolutionary warfare" AKA 'counterterrorism' or 'CT').

The SAS (overall) has other missions, such as providing personnel for BATTs (British Army Training Teams); counterinsurgency; and deep reconnaissance ("recce").

The TA regiments concentrate on skill sets that don't require intensive maintenance / sustainment training.

21st SAS ("Artists") actually predates 22nd SAS, as 1 and 2 SAS (the WWII regiments) were disbanded.  21 SAS was formed from the Artist's Rifles (TA); The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own) and numbered from 2 SAS and 1 SAS reversed and combined.

What are these "less intensive" missions the 21/23 SAS focus on?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The National Guard Maintains the reserve component SF Groups (19 & 20th SFG). The Army reserves do not have any specops forces(excepting Civil Affairs units) because they are considered combat arms. The Army reserve transfered all of it's combat arms to the guard or lost them all together way back in the 90's.

Most, but not all of its combat units. There is still a little bit of Infantry, and lots of Combat Engineers.

There are also USAR slots as "augmentee's" to SOCOM.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yes.  these dedicated individuals sell jerky and swords at gunshows.  they also spend more time in gun stores than the owners.  these elite soldiers are ready at a momment's notice to answer uncle sam's call, if their wife will let them

Thanks, now I have to clean coffee off of my keyboard!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here in WV, we have a Guard SF unit.  One of their members was my paramedic instructor "back in the day".  

A guy I work with is with Aco 2/19th. Since 9-11 he has been gone more than he has been home.

I really admire him.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#20]
1st Special Forces Operational Detachment - Delta (SFOD-D)?  NO

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most, but not all of its combat units. There is still a little bit of Infantry, and lots of Combat Engineers.

Where and what units? The Reserves have only had CS & CSS since the early to mid 90's.

That would be the Civil Affairs units that I mentioned
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think they dropped that name a while back and changed it to Combat Applications Group.
Of course, the fact that that name is out there, means they have probably changed it.
I think they use cryptic names that sound clerky - like "Studies and Observation Group" back in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The US Army's "Delta Force" was directly modeled on the 22nd SAS Regiment of the British Army.

Interestingly, almost from the start the SAS also has two sister "regiments" in the Territorial Army ("Reserve" or "National Guard" in US terms), the 21st and 23rd SAS Regiments.

Do you think the US has a similar associated unit in the Reserves? If not, why?

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you! Delta Force Reserves I kill terrorist on weekends.

No, I have never heard of a reserve or guard unit that is Delta Force. But any one that is qualified can tryout for Delta Force, that includes Reserve and Guard members.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where and what units? The Reserves have only had CS & CSS since the early to mid 90's.

100th Battalion-442d Infantry (USAR)/29th Infantry Brigade (ARNG). They just got back from a combat tour in Iraq.  

www.dod.state.hi.us/hiarng/29sib.html

BTW, Combat Engineers is combat arms.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As mentioned, the 100th BN 442nd Infantry.

There are slots other than CA. Not whole units, but just slots in mostly active units, most of them are IMA slots.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is still one infantry unit left in the Reserves.  The 442nd Infantry in Hawaii.  The Nisei (spelling is wrong I think), the Americans of Japanese descent that volunteered to fight in WWII.

There are also individuals in drill sergeant units that hold combat arms MOS's, but they, and some other units are trainers, not actual combat units.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they dropped that name a while back and changed it to Combat Applications Group.
Of course, the fact that that name is out there, means they have probably changed it.
I think they use cryptic names that sound clerky - like "Studies and Observation Group" back in Vietnam.

Yeah  I think your right about CAG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top