Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 3:18:15 PM EDT
Does the Bible say when we are given souls?
When do offspring receive their souls?

-Conception
-When organs are developed
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know If it states but, I'll say conception
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
"I knew you while you were still in the womb"....................

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO You are a Soul that is given a Body... not the other way around.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Tuesday...around teatime
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes. we live our 'real' lives on the other side.this world is the dreaming one.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
When the first breath is drawn into the physical body...outside the womb.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always had a theory that we get our souls when our hearts start beating. There is no scientific explanation for our hearts to start beating.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]
When the head crowns during labor.

Halacha (Jewish law) does define when a fetus becomes a nefesh (person). "...a baby...becomes a full-fledged human being when the head emerges from the womb. Before then, the fetus is considered a 'partial life.' " 5 In the case of a "feet-first" delivery, it happens when most of the fetal body is outside the mother's body.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Halacha (Jewish law) does define when a fetus becomes a nefesh (person). "...a baby...becomes a full-fledged human being when the head emerges from the womb. Before then, the fetus is considered a 'partial life.' " 5 In the case of a "feet-first" delivery, it happens when most of the fetal body is outside the mother's body.

Goes against the I knew you in the womb thing though.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell it to the rabbi.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell it to the rabbi.  

But did he know us before we were given a soul?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally got my head spinning.
oh well, no sleep tonight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jewish Law does not equal Bible. Quite a bit of Jewish law falls outside the Old Testament.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe it states in "The Book Of Wonder" that it happens the first time you hear some righteous James Brown jams...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." -Psalm 139:13

ETA: More significant is Jeremiah 1:5 ––

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jewish Law does not equal Bible. Quite a bit of Jewish law falls outside the Old Testament.

And there is no basis whatsoever for the earlier statement from the Halacha in the Bible.  Nor is there a direct statement of when it happens, as has been said earlier.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you know or be able to tell???
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
It says "I knew you before you were born."

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

ETA: I was pretty slow on that, wasn't I?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Please note that you have asked a very specific question:  Does the Bible say when we are given souls?

You didn't ask for "opinions", but have already gotten several.  

The answer to your question is that the Bible does not have a passage that says, "This is when you get a soul..."

agreed.  it is also important to unpack the different meanings of the word. the english word 'soul' has many different meanings within a theological context, ranging from simply anima–– 'that which makes something alive' to a non-corporeal volitive being, which is often called 'spirit'.

IOW, a dandelion has a soul, but it is more of a reach to say that it has a spirit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And there is no basis whatsoever for the earlier statement from the Halacha in the Bible.  Nor is there a direct statement of when it happens, as has been said earlier.

Okay, sorry.  New Testament only.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
At Conception...  BTW some "Souls" are born without all of their organs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It says "I knew you before you were born."

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

very often, this is automatically taken to mean something like "you were a complete being before you were born", which i don't think is entirely justified.

one could very easily read this as "i knew that you would be born, and that these events would transpire".  IOW, god could easily have been simply verifying his omniscience, not revealing an ontological truth.

i'm not saying that this is the case, merely that there is more than one thing that this could mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top