Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 8:48:02 AM EDT
I have a buddy who is pretty gung ho about becoming a cop, I dont know if i should tell him that he is wasting his time but from what i have heard about his background i think he is probably shit outta luck.

First he was arrested for DUI while on active duty the charges got dropped to reckless driving but still he was arrested and crashed his car while being drunk this was about 3 years ago.

He is prior military with a college degree but I think just this alone will bar him from being a cop at least for 10 years?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
If he is white and does not speak spanish...... he has no chance.

At least in FL
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one juvenile arrest for shoplifting and it was an issue at every oral board I went to. About 6 years passed before I tried to get a LEO job.
Trust me, he's gonna have one hell of a time getting a job with a DUI arrest, whether it was dropped or not.
I doubt he'll get a job, unless he worked on getting his master's degree and let a few years pass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If he is white and does not speak spanish...... he has no chance.

At least in FLanywhere in the US

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the dept.  Some say that a DUI arrest is automatic disqualification and some are more forgiving.  Since it's only been 3 years, I think it might be a problem.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Mostly depends on the venue.  He might have a good chance in some small out of the way town or county - after a few years with a clean record, he can move to bigger and badder towns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Generally, with some departments, disqualifying arrests need 7 years to pass before you can be considered again.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#7]

what about one public lewdness count and one reckless driving?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Sure he has a chance.  Hiring standards vary from dept. to dept.  I know of a documented case (not LEO) of a pilot being fired from a commercial operation for dui convictions only to get hired by the FAA as a pilot.  Oh yeah, I might add he crashed the FAA King-Air.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#9]
NO will be hiring soon. Won't be an issue there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
NO will be hiring soon. Won't be an issue there.

From the looks of things it wouldn't have been in the past either...........
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
As long as he doesn't lie about it, he might have a chance
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm just curious about marijuana use.  I have a friend that got the job in Fla. on FHP, and when asked during the lie detector, he said "35 times".  Is this possible that they'll hire you with marijuana use history?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive been pulled over by CHP and some of these officers look like gang members with uniforms ( tattoo dots on the finger). Ive met so many cops that claimed they were former gang members and I always walked off thinking how the hell they got their job. I guess the polygraph is to mainly test on character more then past, still bothers me that former drug dealers and gang members can be cops.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My agency will hire females who admit to methamphetamine use as recent as three years ago, but wont hire a male who has a drunk driving arrest.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Tough call. The military and college would just about guarantee him a spot but a recent DUI usually is an automatic DQ. Not sure if one simply cancels out the other or not.

Will probably depend on the agency. And I have seen people hired with worse.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#17]
What other stuff is a automatic disqualification?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#18]
3 years? Probably not...

The state of Oklahoma won't even allow him to be licensed as LEO unless it's been at least 5 years and then, maybe.

Guess he'll just have to settle for Law school instead and become an attorney. They can have all the DUI's they want!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ive been pulled over by CHP and some of these officers look like gang members with uniforms ( tattoo dots on the finger). Ive met so many cops that claimed they were former gang members and I always walked off thinking how the hell they got their job. I guess the polygraph is to mainly test on character more then past, still bothers me that former drug dealers and gang members can be cops.

Come on man, don't you know you have to think like a crook to catch a crook?  Sheeeesh.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What other stuff is a automatic disqualification?

Dishonorable discharge, narcotics offenses (sometimes weed is ok) and any violent felony.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top