Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 2:04:13 PM EDT
I woke up this morning to my 30th birthday. Wake up my sons to take to the range. I spied a coyote out the bathroom window. Rush to open the safe and get my shiney new Bugly Makarov out. Rack a round into the chamber and point it between the safe and the wall, down to the floor(safe direction). Pressed the decocker and BLAM!!! round hit the floor and went under the carpet.

After cleaning out my shorts, disassembling the mak and throwing it against the back of the safe, I proceeded to get my other guns for the trip. Only to find my 8 year old had placed a triggerlockk on his .22 rifle and had lost the key.(he keeps the key to the trigger lock only, I keep the weapon LOCKED UP in MY SAFE) 30 minutes and a headache later I got the damn trigger lock off with a grinder and drill.

On the way to the range I get put off the road into the bar ditch by a young driver looked no older than 16. She took a corner VERY WIDE and damn near took the side out of my truck.

I figure what else can go wrong. Me and the boys were popping off 22's at the range. I had decided to take my 10/22 stainless with green laminate stock since I have owned it for about 5 years andf maybe shot 100 rounds through it.

About 50 rounds into the session BLAM. springs and foreign looking metal on the bench. The gun had come apart on me?!?!?!?! A 10/22? WTF!!!!
I removed the mag checked the chamber about 10 times, cased up the gun and threw it in the back of my truck. DROVE STRAIGHT HOME and LOCKED THE DOOR.

THE FORCES ARE DEFINITELY WORKING AGAINST ME TODAY FELLAS. I am curious to see what happened to the 10/22 but am scared to take it out and look at it for fear of something else bad happening to me today.

TELL me that IT DOESN'T GET ANY WORSE THAN THIS?

CHAOS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Life only ends at 30 if you are married.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Life only ends at 30 if you are married.
View Quote

I'll have been married 10 years come december. SHE is a good one, never bitches about my hobbies, and is a pretty woman to boot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nah, Bro....youre just having  phuct up day.  Now that you know what my entire life is like, you can sleep peacefully tonight....

-HS
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I think everyone has days like that at some point or another, Chaos.  No question that they suck, but without the occasional shitty day, I don't think we could TRULY enjoy and relish the days that everything clicks (as rare as those are for me anyway).  BTW, life didn't end for me at thirty...in fact, just the opposite.  I turned thirty in Sept. of 2002, and within a year I married the woman of my dreams and found out I'm going to be a daddy.  Don't sweat it, man.  From the way you describe your wife and your kids, you sound like life is just beginning for you, too.  Today you were the proverbial "bug", perhaps you'll be the "windshield" for the rest of the weekend, or maybe even longer.  I'll get off my philosophical soap box now.  Anyway, good luck and keep your chin up.

cloak-

Edited because I forgot to say Happy Birthday...
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
... Fuck No!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
1st, Happy B-day!

2nd, we all have bad days you just happen to have on on your 30th Birthday.  

3rd, I'm 33 and all is well.  Wife is cool and Safe is full.  

Have a drink and enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, now you know the secret.  Welcome to the brotherhood of the old.  I'm 54 and haven't been laid since the night before my 30th birthday.  That day is a day that will live in infamy.  You might as well jump off the bridge into the bay.  I tried, but no one told me the bridge went over a sewage treatment plant. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, considering I'll be 31 next month, no it doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Give me ALL yer guns. All kidding aside, it's only gets better from here on out. (if ya play it right) Happy Birthday.  [beer]
AB
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
No it gets better.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Happy Birthday!! It gets better, but goes faster, wait til 50!!!

Judging by the way the day is going, I'd say your computer is prolly gonna give up the ghost next!! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Ever see that movie, "Logan's Run"? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Happy Birthday!!

With a screen name like Choas what would you expect?  What ever you do don't use the bathroom with the wrong hand [;D] All kidding aside glad to read that no one got hit with the the AD.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]
It only ends if you don't learn from your mistakes and evolve. Luckily Taurus decockers work better. In college, I was drunk, stoned, and just broke up with a steady girlfriend. I put a PT 92 in my mouth with a black talon 147 grain and pulled the decocker. Obviously it worked. The next morning I realized how f*cking stupid that was.  Life gets better, everybody has a sh!t for eaten day.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.

Think about it.  The only people here who will dispute it are

POSTING ON THE INTERNET ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

I rest my case. [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#17]
It gets pretty sucky after forty:
[img]www.daybydaycartoon.com/Cartoons/05-30-2003.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Met my wife of 17 years when I was thirty and it's only been better since then!  Good luck![beer]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, now you know the secret.  Welcome to the brotherhood of the old.  I'm 54 and haven't been laid since the night before my 30th birthday.  That day is a day that will live in infamy.  You might as well jump off the bridge into the bay.  I tried, but no one told me the bridge went over a sewage treatment plant. [;D]
View Quote

Not to hijack the thread, but damn marvl!!!, 24 [I]years[/i]??!!??

Maybe you should give some coping tips to Lordtrader.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#20]
If I live past 30 I'm gonna be real pissed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes. Give me ALL yer guns. Happy Birthday.  [beer]
AB
View Quote

After reading his post, you still want them?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#22]
No. I am 38, and am about to start a 2nd career, split recently with a 23 year old girlfriend, and am now seeing a 22 year old valkyrie girl. 6' tall Swedish looking thing. I have never been in better shape, and am as happy as I've ever been.
Yer just in a rut. 30 has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Sure does! I've been dead for seven years now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#24]
When you hit 30, you suddenly grow a brain that actually works, and from there on, you're good to go.  

I'm 38 now, and I honestly feel like I'm still just starting out in life.   I feel like you're supposed to feel when you're 21.  Just a lot smarter and wiser.  And I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

CJ
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Well my life sucks and Im 21.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I woke up this morning to my 30th birthday.
Rush to open the safe and get my shiney new Bugly Makarov out. Rack a round into the chamber and point it between the safe and the wall, down to the floor(safe direction). Pressed the decocker and BLAM!!! round hit the floor and went under the carpet.
View Quote

YIKES! Whew! the worst thing you got was some soiled underwear, good thing you had pointed your pistol in a safe direction. I NEVER did trust those frigg'n decocking mechanisms, even a itty-bitty bit. I always lower the hammer with the aid of my thumb AND the decocking lever.

Ditto on clean_cut's suggestion of Logan's Run. In the movie there was no one over 30, you had a little thing-a-ma-gig on your hand, when it turns on at 27 years old you're screwed.

HAPPY B-DAY!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Happy Birthday!!

With a screen name like Choas what would you expect?  What ever you do don't use the bathroom with the wrong hand [;D] All kidding aside glad to read that no one got hit with the the AD.
View Quote

Cpl. Chaos is a nickname I earned while I was younger and full of piss and Vinegar(no I was not in the military). Days long gone by(I would like them to be anyway!).

I tore into the makarov and found nothing out of the ordinary. The holster that I was storing the gun in is the one I ususally carry to the deer lease. I found it to contain kernals of Corn. Upon inspecting the hole in the floor I found Carpet shavings, Small, tiny bits of corn and carpet padding strewn aobut the place, oh and the spent casing also.
The only thing I can figure is that a kernal of corn had worked its way between the hammer and firng pin, thus connecting the link between the hammer and firing pin when I activated the decocker.?!?!?!  Just a theory. I have decocked the hammer on a live round probably 200 times out in the back yard since the incident, with no problems.(I do live in the country). It did scare the shit out of me.
Corn gets into every thing when setting up a feeder. Have to stand under it when activating the timer. The gun looks mechanically sound in every way. This is the only explanation I can come up with. Luckily Corn did not get lodged in the barrel and hurt comebody with a kaboom! I will have to watch this.

I dont have a clue what happened with the 10/22.
Firing pin has a chip out of it. Extractor, spring, and extractor plunger missing. Bolt handle/guide rod assy. has a chunk out of it.
A friend of mine had a spare firing pin lying around from a recent build, so that was quickly replaced. I see no damage to the bolt or receiver. Bad round? (federal CHEAP-O 55 bulk pack, probably 8 years old) Fired out of battery?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When you hit 30, you suddenly grow a brain that actually works, and from there on, you're good to go.  

I'm 38 now, and I honestly feel like I'm still just starting out in life.   I feel like you're supposed to feel when you're 21.  Just a lot smarter and wiser.  And I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

CJ

View Quote

Testify, Brother!!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Men improve with age. I've gotten more tail in the two years since I turned 30 than I did in all of my 20's.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Give me ALL yer guns. Happy Birthday.  [beer]
AB
View Quote

After reading his post, you still want them?
View Quote

Heh.

AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top