Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2004 8:12:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 8:22:02 PM EST by clean_cut]
Some (libs) would say those who own guns are bloodthirsty barbaric types eager to kill and whatnot.

I say, that the opposite is true. A gun is a gentleman's possession.

Can you provide arguments that would support that?

(Edited because I misspelled argument - confessed spelling nazi)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:13:30 PM EST
... better to ask those that know me
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:14:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 8:15:15 PM EST by MrClean4Hire]
Depends on if I'm target practicing in my backyard or waiting for a bus somewhere in the middle east
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:16:55 PM EST
A gentleman if you have a 1911 or BHP, maybe a Sig or HK.

Glock = Barbarian

j/k
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:17:51 PM EST
does having a stove mean you can cook?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:19:21 PM EST
Robert Heinlien, the author of Starship Troopers, once said, "An armed society is a polite society."
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:22:41 PM EST
Well, I own 15 firearms and none of them are "hunting" rifles, so you make the call!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:27:38 PM EST
Having a gun makes me an ARMED gentleman.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:50:52 PM EST
Can call me whatever they want....

I'm still the guy with the gun
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:01:21 PM EST
A barbarian would use a double-headed axe, a club, or maybe a spear. A gentleman would have a set of dueling pistols and maybe a Beretta O/U shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:06:51 PM EST
Idiots can use clubs or guns.

So can ordinary people. Having a gun means nothing, using it responsibly means everything.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:10:28 PM EST
It makes my penis bigger.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:14:31 PM EST
... I see it differently. I’m always a gentleman in civil situations, but conversely, I can be a barbarian if the war cries are sounded.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:16:07 PM EST
Neither. It makes you safer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:16:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 9:16:57 PM EST by dpmmn]
I'm always a asshole I mean gentleman
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:16:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
It makes my penis bigger.

SGtar15

how long does it take?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:18:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:38:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By inferno715:

Damn that is just right on!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:39:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:37:41 AM EST
It just makes me "Proud to be A Free American"!!!!!! (need a flag icon here)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:03:02 AM EST
Bloodthirsty? No, just angry, bitter, vengeful, and hate-filled.

Now excuse me while I go chase my prozac with some whiskey...

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:03:35 AM EST
If all gunowners were bloodthirsty savages, do you really think any anti-gunners would still be alive?

The very fact that they haven't been slaughtered like pigs ought to answer that question nicely.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:04:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By clean_cut:
Some (libs) would say those who own guns are bloodthirsty barbaric types eager to kill and whatnot.

depends on your attitude. I prefer to think of most active liberals as barbarians. did you see the protests in NY? they're NUTS! That protest warrior shit should be proof enough. Every time they exercised their first amendment rights it was freedom. Every time us republicans did it, it was fascism.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:06:23 AM EST
i thought that barbarians ran around naked with wooden clubs?

Some(libs), are wrong.

besides, possessions dont make you a gentleman or barbarrian; its what you do or don't do
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:08:10 AM EST
It makes me armed! HA HA HA
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:31:46 AM EST
As I see it, it makes no difference. An asshole is an asshole, even if he has a gun. A gentleman is an gentleman, even if he has a gun. I know some people who are barbarians, and as far as I know, they don't own guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:03:17 AM EST
It makes me HAPPY !

Two make me even HAPPIER !

All in all, I'm just a pleasant fellow to be around.... mostly.

rip
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:05:13 AM EST
Owning guns makes me a citizen, instead of a subject.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:18:19 AM EST
I've been debating on another board with a guy who thinks that owning weapons means I'm a evil person

My argument against the second amendment has always been and will continue to be that it was called for in it's day, but no longer.

If we truly want to move on to a more just and fairer socieity...if we really believe in human values and social evolution (since so many here obviously want those same values to be respected and the same social evolution to become a reality when it comes to gay rights)...and if we honestly want to progress to a society that is no longer fixated on violence and bloodshed...

then why keep the intruments of violence and bloodshed in the hands of the average citizen? It doesn't matter if your argument is that you are waiting to ambush a criminal down the block who just might have one too, so I should be allowed to own one. Besides being inherently hypothetical, there's something rather infatile about that argument.

What does matter is whether you see yourself as participating in a society that wants to move forward and discard its violent past and REALLY bring about a change in attitudes and behavior. If you do, then you understand that certain things must change. And if these things must change, then who are we waiting on to change them?

I have to wonder when those of you proudly and loudly proclaim your "right" to own and carry a weapon capable of exterminating human life. Do you understand what the moral definition of a "right" is? Owning a gun is a privilege conferred by the Constitution. It should never be confused with the nobler ideals of human rights.

Owning a weapon is not a human right. It is not a noble right. It is not even considered a "right" in most societies on Earth. Yet Americans seem to think it is. Just this fact is inidicative of the warped state of the American mind.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:20:16 AM EST
It makes me a free man. Whether I'm a gentleman or a barbarian depends upon the MOOD I'm in, not what's in my safe...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:22:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 5:24:00 AM EST by skid2964]

Originally Posted By StonerStudent:
I've been debating on another board with a guy who thinks that owning weapons means I'm a evil person

My argument against the second amendment has always been and will continue to be that it was called for in it's day, but no longer.

If we truly want to move on to a more just and fairer socieity...if we really believe in human values and social evolution (since so many here obviously want those same values to be respected and the same social evolution to become a reality when it comes to gay rights)...and if we honestly want to progress to a society that is no longer fixated on violence and bloodshed...

then why keep the intruments of violence and bloodshed in the hands of the average citizen? It doesn't matter if your argument is that you are waiting to ambush a criminal down the block who just might have one too, so I should be allowed to own one. Besides being inherently hypothetical, there's something rather infatile about that argument.

What does matter is whether you see yourself as participating in a society that wants to move forward and discard its violent past and REALLY bring about a change in attitudes and behavior. If you do, then you understand that certain things must change. And if these things must change, then who are we waiting on to change them?

I have to wonder when those of you proudly and loudly proclaim your "right" to own and carry a weapon capable of exterminating human life. Do you understand what the moral definition of a "right" is? Owning a gun is a privilege conferred by the Constitution. It should never be confused with the nobler ideals of human rights.

Owning a weapon is not a human right. It is not a noble right. It is not even considered a "right" in most societies on Earth. Yet Americans seem to think it is. Just this fact is inidicative of the warped state of the American mind.

Tell that guy to visit Britian, they took all the guns, now they have to train average citizens to be EMT's due to the dramatic increase in violence.

We have the least violent culture of all the fully developed countries.

C_C: An object does not make anyone who they are ..... if a person is a gentleman or a barbarian, having a gun doesnt change that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:27:48 AM EST

Tell that guy to visit Britian, they took all the guns, now they have to train average citizens to be EMT's due to the dramatic increase in violence.

We have the least violent culture of all the fully developed countries.

C_C: An object does not make anyone who they are ..... if a person is a gentleman or a barbarian, having a gun doesnt change that.

Oh it gets better than that....he lives in NYC
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:37:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By inferno715:

I agree, the simple act of possession don't mean a damn thing if you don't know what to do with it. And if you do know what to do with it, I'd say the situation would dictate most people's actions. $0.02
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:41:49 AM EST
Having a gun makes me feel INVINCIBLE. I can handle any situation, I am the man, I am the king. Whazzat? You talking to me?! Are you talkin to me?! Man I oughta. . . .

<­BR>

Yes, Honey. I took out the garbage.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:42:25 AM EST
It makes you a CITIZEN, not a SUBJECT...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:47:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:53:50 AM EST
It's a idiotic question (no offense)

Owning a gun doesn't MAKE you anything. You already are a "gentleman" or a "barbarian" - or somewhere in between, which is where most people will likely fall, and owning a gun doesn't affect that.

Perhaps the question you meant to ask is whether the people who DECIDE to own guns are more likely to be "gentlemen" or "barbarians" (so essentially, while owning a gun doesn't cause you to be a certain kind of person, it might be true that being a certain kind of person causes you to own a gun).

However, while you may see yourself as a gentleman, and that owning a gun is related to that, I encourage you to take a trip to south central Los Angeles and the housing projects of Chicago. There are PLENTY of gang-bangers there who own guns, who probably would not fall into the category of gentlemen. I've also met a number of people in rural missouri, who still use the "n" word in normal conversation, who do drugs and poach game year round - and all of them own guns.

Ultimately, I belive the answer is that there is no relationship - (as a scientist I'd have to say it's an empirical question, that would have to be tested - but I can't think of a compelling theory as to why it would be)

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:58:25 AM EST
I am actually LESS INCLINED to escalate in a confrontational situation when I am carrying.

The last thing I want to do is spend the next 48 hours with the po po trying to justify shooting some 22 year old CHILD that never did anything wrong before and just needed a hug.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:17:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:58:16 AM EST

Owning a gun is a privilege conferred by the Constitution.

No use arguing with a moron who thinks this way.

Maybe we should just have the police ransack his house and throw his ass in jail indefinitely for no reason because the rights to be free from unreasonable search and seizure, and to be free from carpicious and indefinite imprisonment are not really rights. They are priviliges granted byt he Constitution.

Asshats like that make me want to go postal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:02:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:00:47 AM EST

A gun doesn't make you anything. A gun is a piece of metal; only the individual makes themselves a gentleman or a barbarian.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:31:43 AM EST

Come and listen to some bloodthirsty libs who don't own guns, it makes me glad they don't.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:40:20 AM EST
Having firearms in the elitist societies of Europe means your wealthy, powerful, and of an upper class. Generally, for males, a "gentleman."
Here in the United States we are "barbarians" for the same reasons?
Makes you think doesn't it what kind of society the Libs are trying for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:41:07 AM EST
Depends.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:42:54 AM EST
Seriously?

It makes me mind my P's and Q's to the n'th degree.

When packing I'm ALWAYS on my very best behavior. My alert level is higher since I feel that I have a greater responsiblity to those around me should something go down.

Any other time my thoughts are always on the fact that the goobmerment has stacked the deck in such a way that almost ANY breaking of the law (no matter how trivial) can be used to strip your RKBA in heartbeat. Things that were infractions, or at most a misdemeanor a few years ago will get you a felony record now.

I'm am not a "Barbarian" by any stretch of the imagination. I'm so much of a "turn the other cheek" sort of person that many here would be appalled. However, if ever pushed into a corner where I felt that my life, or the lives of innocents around me were threatened the "other cheek" crap would be shitcanned in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:44:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
Seriously?

It makes me mind my P's and Q's to the n'th degree.

When packing I'm ALWAYS on my very best behavior. My alert level is higher since I feel that I have a greater responsiblity to those around me should something go down.

Any other time my thoughts are always on the fact that the goobmerment has stacked the deck in such a way that almost ANY breaking of the law (no matter how trivial) can be used to strip your RKBA in heartbeat. Things that were infractions, or at most a misdemeanor a few years ago will get you a felony record now.

I'm am not a "Barbarian" by any stretch of the imagination. I'm so much of a "turn the other cheek" sort of person that many here would be appalled. However, if ever pushed into a corner where I felt that my life, or the lives of innocents around me were threatened the "other cheek" crap would be shitcanned in a heartbeat.

+1000000
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:08:14 PM EST
Makes me a citizen not a subject.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:38:11 PM EST

All depends on the user and their intentions. I don't consider a gang banger with a stolen semi auto in his waistband to be a gentleman.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:03:22 PM EST
every responsible male adult in america should carry a sharp pocket knife, a clean handkerchief, and a pistol.

but when i carry, i keep a tighter rein on my feelings. i don't act out in traffic or give people the "what are you looking at" treatment. not like i would any way, but carrying gives you a greater burden of responsibilty.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:29:02 PM EST
Any true gentleman would be prepared to defend his lady from harm.

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top