Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2016 1:21:25 PM EST
I'm looking for a cheap OBD I scanner. I own a GM MDI and an ELM327 for all of my OBD II needs. The only scan tools for OBD 1 are also OBD 2 capable and cost hundreds of dollars. I find it funny you can buy a Bluetooth ELM for $5 but can't get an OBD 1 scanner for less than $600.

I would prefer a standalone scan tool I can toss in the glovebox or tool bag; but if someone can school me on a computer emulator type setup, that would be cool also. 

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:45:19 PM EST
I gave away an otc5000 scanner a few weeks ago.

You might find another on eBay
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:52:56 PM EST
I use a paper clip to retrieve codes from my OBD1 Tahoe

Search OBD1 Paperclip for a full right up
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:31:33 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Krochus:
I gave away an otc5000 scanner a few weeks ago.

You might find another on eBay
View Quote

They are going for ~$300
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 2:33:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By AKHappy:
I use a paper clip to retrieve codes from my OBD1 Tahoe

Search OBD1 Paperclip for a full right up
View Quote

I'm looking for live data e.g. integrator, blm, o2.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:38:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/16/2016 10:39:05 AM EST by Spaceboy]
When I was TBI on the camaro I was using a Arduino USB board to connect and tunerpro rt to read it.  I put the USB port in the ashtray and just plugged my windows tablet into it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:57:08 AM EST
An MT2500 off of eBay is probably as cheap as it gets as far as scanners go
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:38:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
When I was TBI on the camaro I was using a Arduino USB board to connect and tunerpro rt to read it.  I put the USB port in the ashtray and just plugged my windows tablet into it.
View Quote

This is looking like my best route.

How does the Arduino work? Wich kit do you suggest? Is it as simple as 12 pin in, USB out, install software? I am assuming it's the same thing as a Moats Extreme ALDL? We're you tuning with it, burning your own prom? Do you know anything about ALDLDroid, Android based software?

Sorry for the rapid fire questions. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:56:55 PM EST
scantool.net has good ones that can datalog. I bought mine for like $75 and have used it to diagnose and repair my own vehicles plus many others.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:55:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Chuy123:
scantool.net has good ones that can datalog. I bought mine for like $75 and have used it to diagnose and repair my own vehicles plus many others.
View Quote

I'm not seeing any obd1 stuff there. Am I missing it or are you talking obd2?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:27:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By ARHank:

This is looking like my best route.

How does the Arduino work? Wich kit do you suggest? Is it as simple as 12 pin in, USB out, install software? I am assuming it's the same thing as a Moats Extreme ALDL? We're you tuning with it, burning your own prom? Do you know anything about ALDLDroid, Android based software?

Sorry for the rapid fire questions. 
View Quote
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/691313-homemade-obd1-reader-arduino.html

This is how I did it, just following this guys thread.  I also did indeed use a prom burner after I had moates install a flash memory socket in my ECM.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:00:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/691313-homemade-obd1-reader-arduino.html

This is how I did it, just following this guys thread.  I also did indeed use a prom burner after I had moates install a flash memory socket in my ECM.
View Quote

I ordered a couple of them. We'll see if I can figure it out. If I do, maybe I'll do a building an obd1 scan tool for dummies thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:10:17 PM EST
What gave me the most trouble was connecting to the right comm port.  You have to tell it what port to use to connect via usb.
Top Top