Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2002 1:45:31 PM EDT
Right now I'm using Earthlink for dialup and have three accounts for my family at $17.95 a month.  Netzero and some of the other low cost ISPs seem to provide dialup service for around $9 - $10 a month.  If anyone has tried them have you had good luck with them?  Are they reliable, any problems?  Any other recommendations to try besides Netzero?  Thanks, John
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm cheap, I use Netzero. Usually a 53.3K dialup connection. I'm going to get Cable or DSL just because I've missed a few calls.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I use AT$T broadband. Fuckin expensive, but I'd never go back to dialup after having cable internet service. It's fast baby!!

-T.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The internet is kinda like your house.You can come in the front door, you can come in the back door, you can come in through the garage but youre still standing in the same living room!
View Quote

Yeah, but do you have a cordless phone or one you have to crank? Are you still turning a knob on your TV or do you have a remote? You may be in the same living room but what kind of amenities do you have?
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I use juno's free dialup (same as netzero) on my laptop for the rare occasion that I travel anywhere. The laptop is a Pentium 233 with 64 MB of RAM, and the CPU is constantly getting hammered by the juno client software, to the point that I can't even listen to MP3's at the same time.  If you're going to be trying it on an older PC, beware.

On the other hand, I have no performance issues at all when I used to try it on my faster desktop PC.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I use access 4 less.net.  They are ok.  decent speeds for dialup.  I have had a couple of problem sites that I can't get to, which seems odd (adobe.com for example).  Haven't seen anyone else complain, so I'm figuring it's just me.  Otherwise, works fine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tried Blue Light (aka K Mart) and Netzero back when they were "free".  I recall the very first Netzero ad window.  Half the time it didn't work, so I had no ads, but "they" got better.  I use to alternate between Bluelight and Netszero to get by their limts (didn't want to pay).  The ads didn't bother me, but as soon as they started limiting to an unrealistic number (like 10 hours free a month), I said, no thanks and switched.

I still pay $8.99 a month for my dial up now.  The best I can get is 50.6, but I'm out in the "stix".  I'm not with Netzero or Bluelight.  I'm using Highstream [url]www.highstream.net[/url].  I don't mind them.  The only stipulations (that I've noticed from reading) is that if you get disconnected, you have to wait 1 min before reconnecting.  Also, your max allowed connect time is 5 hours.  So, you can be online for 5 hours, disconnect for 1 min and start another 5 hours to my understanding.  Haven't gone to 5 hours straight yet to see what would happen...

I haven't had any problems with them.  Few times I get 26.6, but usually disconnecting and relogging gets me to 48.9 or 50.6K.  They have this dialing program that you use (I assume that Netzero and Bluelight still does), but I managed to use a direct method... as in just program a dial up via inside Windows (manual I assume) and not use the dialer.  It works....
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Bluefrognet.net $25 every 6 months in area code 585

Right now I'm on still free Netzero.

Netzero was not free for some time- I found my kids were back using it.

That is one annoying banner!

Free is one great price. You can use it nationwide- unlike my $25 cheapee.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My friend uses NetZero and says some sites are blocked if you use their browser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top