Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2008 6:49:01 PM EDT
I've got a storage unit that I lost the key to. Don't want to pay a locksmith $70 to drill it out.

This is the lock I've got on it.

Link to lock

She could do it.

Link

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:49:36 PM EDT
goggle bumping

and

IBTL!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:49:59 PM EDT
I got a lock pick set and a short book on how to pick locks. I am able to pick some, but Im not quick and cant pick automobile locks.

ETA I would probably be able to pick the lock youve shown. In the video she is just using pin raking method.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:50:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:51:07 PM EDT
buy a new lock and cut the old one with bolt cutters
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:51:10 PM EDT
Do you care about the lock?

Hack saw.

Torch.

Dynamite?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:51:20 PM EDT
I can pick automotive locks.  Padlocks, nope, not me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:52:07 PM EDT
pair of bolt cutters... if you have any lying around.. would easily do the trick..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:52:34 PM EDT

Quoted:

Not possible with these locks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:53:28 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dremel
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:53:39 PM EDT
I can pick most locks with a credit card.

Sorry, I remember that line from some home security commercial 10+ years ago.  Some con was saying it from behind bars.  Probably doesn't help much though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:28 PM EDT
I have one of those locks. Im going to go try and pick it right now actually.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:35 PM EDT
This works pretty good

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:45 PM EDT
Bump key, FTW

- BG
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:55:15 PM EDT

Quoted:
I can pick most locks with a credit card.

Sorry, I remember that line from some home security commercial 10+ years ago.  Some con was saying it from behind bars.  Probably doesn't help much though.

Yeah you can jimmy lots of doors, but you arent going to pick a lock with a credit card.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:56:11 PM EDT
Ok, here's how its done.  (Not that I ever did this)

Take a flat blade screwdriver that fits tightly inside of the key hole, smack it with a hammer until you can turn it like a key and open it.

I am not sure that this works on all locks, but it works with some.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:56:11 PM EDT
I save keys...........ALL keys.

Youd be amazed how many times I was able to open stuff when I didnt have a key.

That , and Ive got an old pair of 4' long bolt cutters
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:56:19 PM EDT

Quoted:

?? i always found standard pin tumbler locks much easier than automotive double wafers
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:56:51 PM EDT
drill it out yourself
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:57:07 PM EDT
Locksmith here, use bolt cutters/hacksaw.  Not worth picking for a simple padlock.  Just Make sure you do the right lock!

ETA: Just noticed the shape of lock is designed so you can't cut it.......with bolt cutters that is.  Coordless Dremel and cut off wheels FTW.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:58:40 PM EDT
Locksport (competitive lockpicking) used to be a hobby of mine. That lock looks like some cheap knockoff of an Abus Diskus and probably could be picked relatively easily. If you simply want to open it drill it straight through at the shear line.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:59:19 PM EDT

Quoted:
Locksport (competitive lockpicking) was a hobby of mine. That lock looks like some cheap knockoff of an Abus Diskus and probably could be picked relatively easily. If you simply want to open it drill it straight through at the shear line.

Where is the shear line?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:01:13 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

?? i always found standard pin tumbler locks much easier than automotive double wafers

Granted, I haven't put much effort into trying to pick a conventional lock, but the amateur car thief in me can get in most older cars without too much effort.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:02:06 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:
Locksport (competitive lockpicking) was a hobby of mine. That lock looks like some cheap knockoff of an Abus Diskus and probably could be picked relatively easily. If you simply want to open it drill it straight through at the shear line.

Where is the shear line?

THe shear line is the point inside the lock that the pins and wafers will line up along the cylinder to allow rotation.

IE: the top of the cylinder as it meets the lock body.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:03:18 PM EDT
hope this helps:

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:03:24 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is the shear line?

THe shear line is the point inside the lock that the pins and wafers will line up along the cylinder to allow rotation.

IE: the top of the cylinder as it meets the lock body.

MS Paint please.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:06:22 PM EDT
I have a great pick set and am good at it..

The cost of me coming to AZ to do it would be prohibitive I am sure..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:10:00 PM EDT
I have a pick gun. I can pick any lock (dead bolts included) in just a few seconds. Combination locks are pretty easy as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:11:15 PM EDT

Quoted:
I have a pick gun. I can pick any lock (dead bolts included) in just a few seconds. Combination locks are pretty easy as well.

I have just a normal pick set and it takes me anywhere from 20 seconds to 10 minutes depending on the lock. Ive run into some that I cant get. I dont practice often though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:16:52 PM EDT
Yep... hit or miss tho..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:17:47 PM EDT
Locks like that are why God invented the K-12
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:18:00 PM EDT
A battery operated Dremel could cut it in about 5 minutes.  I have seen me do it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:19:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:19:22 PM EDT
Basic locks like a Master No. 3 I can pop in 4-5 seconds once I know the binding order. My personal record was 3 seconds on one of my harder padlocks with spool pins. One fast withdrawal of a snake rake and it was open. After a bunch of practice I can now do it pretty consistently. It's all a matter of getting the perfect amount of pressure on the tension wrench just right. Single pin picking obviously takes longer but I can usually do it in under a minute.

You don't need to even buy a set of picks. You can make some decent ones with nothing more than a dremel and some hacksaw blades or street sweeper bristles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:20:09 PM EDT

Quoted:
I have a great pick set and am good at it..

The cost of me coming to AZ to do it would be prohibitive I am sure..

+1, my dad used to own a lock shop, he tought me a hell of a lot and I have all his tools, but Montana is a damn long drive
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:29:17 PM EDT
Im trying to pick the one I have, with no luck so far. Ive gotten 3 pins to stay, but cant get the other...2?
ETA its really not even close to as easy as they make it look in the movies.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:35:41 PM EDT

Quoted:
Im trying to pick the one I have, with no luck so far. Ive gotten 3 pins to stay, but cant get the other...2?

those locks are decent quality and not easy to pick. As someone said drilling it is the answer. The only reason to pick is to be able to lock it back up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:38:36 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

those locks are decent quality and not easy to pick. As someone said drilling it is the answer. The only reason to pick is to be able to lock it back up.

Are you the author Ragnar?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:49:58 PM EDT

Quoted:
pair of bolt cutters... if you have any lying around.. would easily do the trick..

It is a diskus type lock... very hard to cut with bolt cutters.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:56:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:04:37 PM EDT
Funny, I was just watching this video and decided to read some ARFCOM
It's a video how to pick locks.

Lockpick video
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:11:46 PM EDT

Quoted:

reduce your tension to almost nothing, you are probably binding on anti-pick pins
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:17:57 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

USGI_45 has a quality lock, the OP has a cheap POS U-Haul lock. Huge difference.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:18:17 PM EDT

Quoted:

Are you the author Ragnar?

No
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:19:58 PM EDT

Quoted:

USGI_45 has a quality lock, the OP has a cheap POS U-Haul lock. Huge difference.

I would still just drill it and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:23:21 PM EDT
This has solved that problem for me, many times.

Less than a minute:

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:26:40 PM EDT
I can pick a pair of handcuffs with a paperclip.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:27:47 PM EDT
one more vote for dremil and cutoff wheel. just cut the shank
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:28:12 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dremel

Angle grinder is the only choice........or some C4
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:28:17 PM EDT

Quoted:
This has solved that problem for me, many times.

Less than a minute:

www.dewalt.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/TOOLS/MEDIUM/4/DC410KA_1.gif

Screw picking or drilling, this is the answer here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:28:38 PM EDT
Maybe I do, and maybe I don't.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top