Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 12:29:58 PM EDT
I ordered the 15mb/s package.  I have some questions on installation.

I know they commonly install the fiber and battery backup system on a garage wall, near an outlet, then run CAT5 to you computer.

Does this mean, they are going to come in, do all that work to bring fiber into my garage, install that equipment, then go up to my attic, and run a CAT5 ALL the way to my office, down the wall, and install a jack?

If so, I cant believe they would do all that for a free install, based on a $44.95/month internet package.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Where I lived when they installed it there were already ethernet jacks in the wall. Sorry. FiOS is great though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You get 15mb/s?  For upload too?  Even if it's just 15mb/s down, you still suck.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You get 15mb/s?  For upload too?  Even if it's just 15mb/s down, you still suck.  

I am on cable now, which is 4-6MB/s.  Comcast screwed up my bill, and I didnt like their tone on the phone, so I politely explained to them that there are lots of options in internet providers, and they could cancel my service effective immediately.  

Verizon has had DSL in my area for a while, but they just added a new Fiber optic based service in neighborhoods where they have laid the equipment.  They did my street about 6 months ago, but just now started offering the internet services.

They have two plans, $34.95/month for 5Mb/s down, 2Mb/s up.  Or $44.95 for 15Mb/s down, 2Mb/s up.

I dont need the speed, I dont do any file sharing or movie downloading or anything like that, but I do work from home over VPN, and any speed is welcomed!  Plus it was only $10 more a month, so why not?  Still going to be cheaper than my cable modem service, which they screwed up and raised to $55.95 after it was all said and done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm on Comcast now... the outages are too frequent for my liking, and only 384k up.  DSL isn't even available here because I'm too far from the switch... and I'm in the freaking Chicago suburbs!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If so, I cant believe they would do all that for a free install, based on a $44.95/month internet package.

I don't work on the FIOS side of the house but that is my understanding.

Thanks for your contribution to my 401K.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Cablevision's Optimum OnLine. 44.95 a month if you have TV. They're upgrading the tri-state area from 10-1 to 15-2. That's 15 Mb down and 2 Mb up. Yes, megabits not megabytes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
They won't go in your attic and they won't move furnature.  They will staple the cat5 and/or phone wire along your eaves and drop the wire through the exterior wall into whatever room you want.  Thats what they did for me in Keller.

It is fast and reliable.  I have the $35/mo. plan.  That free install also includes a free router, or at least mine did.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They won't go in your attic and they won't move furnature.  They will staple the cat5 and/or phone wire along your eaves and drop the wire through the exterior wall into whatever room you want.  Thats what they did for me in Keller.

It is fast and reliable.  I have the $35/mo. plan.  That free install also includes a free router, or at least mine did.  

Bummer.  Hmmmm, my garage in on the completely other side of the house from my office... a LONG way, and I aint having cable stapled to my vinyl siding all the way over there.

So - what are the options for the battery box they have to install?  The way they explain it, it has to be inside the house.  And if they have to trench the fiber line up to the house, how do they know where my sprinkler system is?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
They don't know where your system is, nor do they care.  The trencher just shoots the wire in without digging up a whole lot.  Pretty shallow too.  It doesn't have to be in your garage, but it comes in where you have power on the inside and a good ground outside, so normally by the electric meter.  They will come out and mark the route and write a work order before they send the installers so you can go over your ideas with them then.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Verizon will want to locate the ONT near your existing external electrical/phone utilities.  The battery back up can be up to 50ft away from the ONT, and there is also a power supply, which can be located up to 100ft from the ONT.  ONT = Optical Network Terminal.  But, it is usually easiest to locate both the battery back up (BBU) and power supply unit (PSU) close to each other and close to the ONT.

The installer may be able to fish the cat5 through the wall you want the ethernet jack placed on, but its usually easier to run the cat5 around the house under the eaves.  If you have concerns, I would run the cat5 yourself before the install, just leave the ends unterminated, the installer will have an RJ45 wall plate to cover the hole you cut in the wall.

The information given above about not going in the attic is no longer correct, that used to be the rule, but now it is up to the installer - if they can run it through the attic they will.

I have the 15/2 service plus their FiOS TV service, couldn't be more pleased.  Don't have landline phone service, but I do have a Verizon Wireless phone.

Yes, all of that work is included for free.  Up to four phone lines (with 4 jacks on each line) cut over to fiber from the old copper, internet from fiber to cat5 to a router (or wireless, plus switches/hubs if you want) and fiber to coax (for up to seven set top boxes, multiple cable cards and analog TVs too) for TV service.

For more information check out :

www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber
myfios.net/

EDIT : If you are concerned about the fiber drop and your sprinkler system, the contractor who will run your drop is only required to have locates done by the utilites (water, gas, electric, phone/cable).  You can call Verizon and schedule when the contractor will run your drop so you can be there, or you can mark your yard with your own color flags or spay paint if you know where your sprinkler lines are.

BBU does have to be inside, my BBU and PSU are in a spare bedroom, directly on the other side of the wall where the ONT is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, my install is supposed to be on Monday the 3rd.  Still no outside box magically showed up.... so I dunno, maybe they will install it this weekend?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have all of Verizon FiOS services.  I get consistent 15 Mb downloads.  

My HDTV service kicks satellite and cable's ass.  The guide and men options are better, and the picture os better.

I am thrilled.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Oddly enough, someone from Verizon was in our driveway trying to sign us up for FIOS here in Maryland, just this afternoon.

They wired the neighborhood last summer and have really been hounding us with flyers, recorded calls, live cold calls, and solicitors at our door trying to get us to sign up.

As I have understood it, when they hook up the FIOS, they supposedly tear out the DSL so you can't go back. I heard someone explain that they (Verizon) have to share copper line, but not fiber optic.

Anyway, the pitch today was $29.95 per month, 30 day trial for free, and free installation with router. They would leave the DSL if we did this so we could change back if we didn't want it. I asked her to leave her literature, but she would only sign us up then and there. Don't know what download speeds.

If they got the right to run cable TV through their lines, I would do it. We cancelled Comcast long ago, and frankly don't need the TV, but if I could get it for a low price I would do it. They do have movie downloads, just no cable station feeds. They are working on it, though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
im pissed because supposedly in ga there is no plans to ever do fios. i suppose there wil be something similar (I dont count cable which has bad rep). right now i make due with two dsl lines. on adsl one sdsl for biz purposes.. have even considered a t1.. and would love a ds3 (45mbit both ways) or even put me on a sonet ring...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had FOIS Broadband for 6 months and am happy.  I had the tv installed today (this morning) and it will be ok, but I wish they had more on demand choices available.  I was upgrading my service from Verizon DSL and didnt notice a drastic difference in either VOIP or throughput, except in large file downloads.  I am switching for TV mostly because the toll road easement is becomming overgrown and beginning to block my Dishnet sat signal.  It is a little cheaper as well, so I thought I would try it.

Installs went relatively smooth for both FIOD broadband and FOIS TV.  If your installer is as good, you should be happy.

Edit:  For the broadband install, the installer was kind enough to leave my copper in case I needed to "install another business line".  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
that sucks.   im stuck with 1.5Mb down 384k up.  

i would say that do all that......... if you sign a year or two agreement.  

have you checked that yet
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
They came out on Saturday and laid the cable.  Took them about 4 hours - they had to bore a hole under the alley to get to the service tap.  Only broke 1 sprinkler line.  

The installers showed up today, and installed the outside and inside boxes, and ran the cat5.  Man - that was a ton of work for them - for a FREE install.  They gotta be losing money bigtime on getting the infrastructure in place.

Then, when FIOS TV is available - they will run new R6 cable to your locations (up to 3) if your existing cabling in your home is not up to speed.

WOW!

I am getting about 10Mb/s on most downloads right now.  Not bad.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: I am getting about 10Mb/s on most downloads right now.  Not bad.
It should be more reliable too, less susceptible to rain or lightning messing with the signal.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I ordered the 15mb/s package.  I have some questions on installation.

I know they commonly install the fiber and battery backup system on a garage wall, near an outlet, then run CAT5 to you computer.

Does this mean, they are going to come in, do all that work to bring fiber into my garage, install that equipment, then go up to my attic, and run a CAT5 ALL the way to my office, down the wall, and install a jack?

Yes, they will.  FREE.

It's nothing compared to the cost of laying the fiber in the first place and will get you paying for the network.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They went into my attic and dropped to in interior wall in Dallas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top