Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 6:15:36 PM EST
My grandmother used to save glass food jars from pickles, olives, jelly, mayonnaise, etc.

I have gotten into the habit of doing the same. They come in handy for storing leftovers in the fridge, storing just about anything.

Many of them will accept canning lids. some even have graduations on the sides for measuring the contents.

Seems like a waste to throw away a perfectly good jar.

If the SHTF, it will be nice to have a bunch of spare vessels for drinking, measuring, etc.

Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:25:35 PM EST
Yes. We eat a lot of pasta, so we have a lot of empty sauce jars with the lids. She knows I want to keep them, as I use them for drinking glasses a lot.

I also think they are good to have around JIC, I'm sure they could come in handy in a number of ways when needed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:26:43 PM EST
Some of them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:30:01 PM EST
Think we have close to 80 of all shapes and sizes.
Inlaws jars king salmon so we get recylce.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:31:16 PM EST
seems wrong to throw them away
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:34:30 PM EST
I've got various kinds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:48:17 PM EST
You are turning into a hoarder! Soon your place will be so full of crap you will not be able to walk through it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:59:05 PM EST
+1 on the canning. Also, I keep some to pour excess hamburger grease in, keep those under the sink and toss them in the trash when full. The Armour dried beef jars make good little drinking glasses. Does anyone remember those jar cutting , pop bottle cutting kits sold on t.v. like 25 years ago or so, the idea was to make drinking glasses out of pop bottles, and various other bottles?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:00:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By tommo0:
You are turning into a hoarder! Soon your place will be so full of crap you will not be able to walk through it.

Guilty of that myself. I save not only glass jars, I save coffee cans and other small containers. Also shipping boxes.

I go through once a year and throw all that crap out but then turn around and start stockpiling again.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:10:03 PM EST
I save large glass pasta jars to drink out of, they keep the ice from "avalanching" on you.
Top Top