Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 4/13/2017 12:00:28 AM EDT
I've been noticing that less and less people seem to still be shooting iron sights these days.

In just about every thread where a new guy is asking about what rifle he should get for his HD, SHTF, OMGWTFBBQ rifle.... every seems to suggest to get XYZ rifle and get an Aimpoint PRO or MRO or you gotta have a Vortex SPARC.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have a few different rifles with several different optics.... but my go to AR is running good old iron sights. To me simple is better, I know aimpoint makes great quality optics ( I own 2) but even with their 50,000 hour battery life, they are still prone to failure.

So after saying all that, I guess the real question is, anyone else still rely on irons for their go to?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My father taught me that you always learn to shoot the stock sights first with any platform then you can do whatever the fuck you want.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea I do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Irons FTW!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My father taught me that you always learn to shoot the stock sights first with any platform then you can do whatever the fuck you want.
View Quote
This.  Do the basics first, and then work your way up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
On everything except my long range match rifles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm poor. So yeah.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not putting an Aimpoint on my M1, so yeah.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:08:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on the gun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The Army. When I was in Korea recently,  my assigned weapon didn't have an optic.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure.  Some have red dots and scopes, some don't.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm getting to the point where I like some magnification on my rifles.   I think I'm done buying red dots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
He taught you right.  Zero irons and become proficient before even considering optics.  That has been my standing rule for over 2 decades.  

You will be a better shooter, have peace within yourself, and slay 2X more poon.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Only thing I have.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
One of my favorites is my Hbar bushmaster carbine with factory irons
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a build going that is a dedicated iron sight grab and go gun. All of my other ARs have BUIS on regardless of dot or scope for primary sight.

New build is an A2 upper, Dez Tactical clamp on fsb, 16' bbl (no m203 cut) with a mid-length gas tube, mid-length carbine GI hand guards, Rock River Arms LE entry stock. It will look like a normal 20" A2 but about 8 inches shorter overall. The only sight change will be the addition of a Tritium front sight post.  

Pics shortly
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I do.  Don't even own a scope or red dot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Only on my handguns. (2017, never thought I'd have to say that)
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Not as my main go to but just about everything I have has BUIS.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't own a scope or a red dot
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
they are still prone to failure.
View Quote

That's a ridiculous statement.  An Aimpoint is not prone to failure by any stretch of the imagination.

There are cases where irons are superior to optics for certain reasons, but outside of those very specific things, red dot > irons all day, every day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yea I do.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Magpul pro LR buis are my main sights.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been noticing that less and less people seem to still be shooting iron sights these days.

In just about every thread where a new guy is asking about what rifle he should get for his HD, SHTF, OMGWTFBBQ rifle.... every seems to suggest to get XYZ rifle and get an Aimpoint PRO or MRO or you gotta have a Vortex SPARC.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have a few different rifles with several different optics.... but my go to AR is running good old iron sights. To me simple is better, I know aimpoint makes great quality optics ( I own 2) but even with their 50,000 hour battery life, they are still prone to failure.

So after saying all that, I guess the real question is, anyone else still rely on irons for their go to?
View Quote

I do  on my M1 carbine and my AR national match !
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#26]
yes
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He taught you right.  Zero irons and become proficient before even considering optics.  That has been my standing rule for over 2 decades.  

You will be a better shooter, have peace within yourself, and slay 2X more poon.
View Quote
IDK about more poon but the Marines found out that shooters actually did better, learned faster and mastered irons faster later on when they started with optics then did irons later.  Something about fewer things to master at once sped up the learning process.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Some irons, some red dots, so yes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes on this one

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#30]
On both my AR's. I like red-dots but I am more concerned with being able to pick up a stock weapon, and fire it proficiently at a distance with out needing a dot. I'll eventually get some sure.

Watching a member on here who I go shooting with on occasion, shoot 300m with a 9mm Sig with irons proved to me that you dont need a new fangled TRO on your pistol to shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll always have an optic because it's superior in every way to irons.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Iron sights are fun to plink with.

If we are talking waking up in he middle of the night and defending my life in a low light situation when my only options are putting my rounds on target against a violent attacker(s) or dying....yeah I will take a red dot any day of the fucking week.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Iron sights only on my Winchester 1873 357 Mag.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I've never ran iron sights on any gun. I've used them and shot with them, but have never ran them. Not even sure how iron sights would be ran. Is it even possible to run something like iron sights, which have little to no moving parts?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, and happily. There's something very satisfying about ringing steel 8/10 times with an iron-sighted M16A1 clone, especially when other guys struggle to hit it with scoped rifles.

I derive no enjoyment from shooting with a red dot/reflex, other than pinging expended CO2 cartridges at 15 yards with a semiauto pellet rifle. They are a way to get rounds on target, and nothing more. I would not turn down a rifle equipped with a reflex sight, but I enjoy iron sights far more due to the skill required to use them effectively. Magnified optics depends on the optic and rifle combination. 3-9x scope? Not really. ACOG?

The best thing I've done for my iron-sighted shooting skills is to practice dry-firing at targets smaller than the front sight post. It got me from moaning about targets appearing too small, to centering the target on my front sight post and driving tacks with a rifle that uses parts older than me!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Yupp have an A2.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes, and happily. There's something very satisfying about ringing steel 8/10 times with an iron-sighted M16A1 clone, especially when other guys struggle to hit it with scoped rifles.

I derive no enjoyment from shooting with a red dot/reflex, other than pinging expended CO2 cartridges at 15 yards with a semiauto pellet rifle. They are a way to get rounds on target, and nothing more. I would not turn down a rifle equipped with a reflex sight, but I enjoy iron sights far more due to the skill required to use them effectively. Magnified optics depends on the optic and rifle combination. 3-9x scope? Not really. ACOG?

The best thing I've done for my iron-sighted shooting skills is to practice dry-firing at targets smaller than the front sight post. It got me from moaning about targets appearing too small, to centering the target on my front sight post and driving tacks with a rifle that uses parts older than me!
View Quote
When the OP referred to "go to" I believe he meant the rifle you grab in a self defense situation.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll always have an optic because it's superior in every way to irons.
View Quote
except it isn't, the skill of the shooter will be the ultimate determining factor. There are people that can use irons out to 1k yards all day and some people with a high power expensive optic can't. All about skill
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Seeing as I don't own a single optic I do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I do, because I'd rather spend $500-$1000 on something else.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Most of my handguns, and my shotguns, I can't see well enough to use irons on a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#42]
KISS

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Yep
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not putting an Aimpoint on my M1, so yeah.
View Quote
I put one on my M1A and it's great.

Of the rifles in the safe. 3/4 of them have irons or B/U irons.

I have a few that are iron sight only as well. My newest setup, the Wolf A1 will be likely an iron only rifle. It's a piston driven KISS system.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's a ridiculous statement.  An Aimpoint is not prone to failure by any stretch of the imagination.

There are cases where irons are superior to optics for certain reasons, but outside of those very specific things, red dot > irons all day, every day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they are still prone to failure.

I will agree that "prone to failure" wasn't the exact right wording.... but which one between iron sights and an aimpoint is more likely to fail?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since when are Aimpoints likely to fail?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've never ran iron sights on any gun. I've used them and shot with them, but have never ran them. Not even sure how iron sights would be ran. Is it even possible to run something like iron sights, which have little to no moving parts?
View Quote
Yes. Run just means to put something into action. Why arfcom gets bent about such a common term I'll never understand.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

IDK about more poon but the Marines found out that shooters actually did better, learned faster and mastered irons faster later on when they started with optics then did irons later.  Something about fewer things to master at once sped up the learning process.
View Quote
Does the Army and Marines even teach iron sight shooting anymore?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Both my ARs have optics on them but I am in the process of building a KISS build. I like shooting with iron sights a lot, but optics are superior for any serious work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top