Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2005 6:08:07 PM EDT
The opinion about Mateba Unica 6 revolvers seems to be divided 50-50.

Half says they're awesome and wonderfully inventive. None seem to actually own one and most are influenced by the Trigun tv show.

The other half says it's a stupid idea and gimmicky. None of these people seem to actually own one either.

So has ANYONE here ever owned or fired one of these? I'd like to budget for the legendary semi-auto revolver someday (8" barrel, .454 Casull, custom hard rubber grips- *drool* ).

The only information I ever find about them is usually either second hand or a one paragraph description in an advertisement extolling the virtues of such an accurate and recoil-friendly handgun.

I haven't even seen that much info about the carbine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
*cricket sound effects*
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
fwiw.... i looked into these a bit more. While they are able to handle a handful of different cailbers, the list is actually shorter than they claim. They use multiple names for the same cartridge... i.e. 9mm mak and 9x18, etc.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell I never even heard of one.  

You got a link?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
a what?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never owned nor shot one, don't really see the point of a semi-auto revolver. I don't see how it could do either better than what is "normally" available
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been wanting one for some time.

First I need an AR10

then a Mateba.

They seem to be rare.  Every shop I go into I look to see if they have one.  They never do.  It's going to have to be an internet order when I get it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You got a link?

YES - it's called GOOGLE  

Mateba Model 6 Unica:

The Model 6 Unica is a very unusual revolver produced by Mateba in Italy. It is currently the only automatic revolver made in the world today. In the past the Webley-Fosbery was also made, but this weapon has been out of production for more than sixty years.
The Unica functions as follows: The first triggerpull is a normal double action pull, it cocks the hammer, and then releases it, firing the gun. Upon firing the upper part of the frame recoils. This movement then cocks the hammer, and automatically rotates the cylinder. When the upper frame has completely recoiled, it is pushed forward again by a spring. When it has returned to its forward position the gun is ready to fire another shot, only this time a light pull in Single-Action mode, as the hammer is already cocked and the cylinder rotated.

The revolvers construction involves two major parts: the lower and the upper frame assembly. The lower assembly houses the trigger mechanism, a strong spring and the grip, and on top are a pair of rails, on which the upper frame assembly rides. The upper assembly holds the interchangable barrel and shroud, the cylinder, and the safety mechanism. The upper assembly is held in place by a spring, and a crossbolt prevents the assembly from moving off the lower frame. The cylinder itself swings out like that of any other revolver.
The entire revolver is made out of high quality steel, and the workmanship displayed is of the highest quality. The barrel can be replaced by means of a special wrench. When removing the barrel the shroud automatically is loosened as well, and there are different styles and lenghts of shroud available. The grip itself is of a single piece, and it too can be easily replaced for another style grip.
When disassembling the Unica some care must be taken to hold the revolver in a level position, because if it is held canted, several small parts can fall out of the frame. Replacing these can be somewhat bothersome, but this can be prevented by taking care during the disassembly and assembly of the weapon.

The Unica is chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge, and this is really the only cartridge to be fired with the gun. Weak loads or .38 Special rounds wil not generate enouhg recoil to operate the mechanism. On the other hand, the recoil powered mechanism reduces felt recoil considerably.
The last special feature of the weapon is that the adjustable sight is located on the front of the barrel shroud. Instead of adjusting the solid (but replacable) aft sights, one has to adjust the front sights.

Weight: 2.96 lbs (1.340 kg)(6 inch barrel) empty.
Caliber: .357 magnum
Barrel Length: 3 inches (7.6 cm), 4 inch (10.2 cm), 5 inch (12.7 cm), or 6 inch (15.2 cm).
Action: Semi-automatic Double Action.
Range: 200 ft (60 m).
Cylinder: 6 rounds .
Cost: $ 1,000.
Made in: Italy.
Special: Semi-automatic action. Very accurate, very high quality, interchangable barrels.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have fired one and almost bought it. 3 or 350 was the price about a year ago. Neat, different, unique and so damn rube goldburg with about a zillion springs and doohickies that it is recommended that you send it back to the factory if it breaks to get it fixed. Had a nice SA trigger, a OK but heavy DA and shot pretty good. Guy had 2 recoil springs for it, one for .357 and one for .38 spl. You just clip a few coils off a .357 til it works properly. Like I said neat as hell but I would not buy one after seeing the guts of it. Think of a gun sized watch with teensy little parts all over.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, that's one fugly contraption. There's a reason it's the only semi-auto/revolver/staple gun in the world.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got a link?

YES - it's called GOOGLE  

www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Mateba_Model_6.jpg

Mateba Model 6 Unica:

The Model 6 Unica is a very unusual revolver produced by Mateba in Italy. It is currently the only automatic revolver made in the world today. In the past the Webley-Fosbery was also made, but this weapon has been out of production for more than sixty years.
The Unica functions as follows: The first triggerpull is a normal double action pull, it cocks the hammer, and then releases it, firing the gun. Upon firing the upper part of the frame recoils. This movement then cocks the hammer, and automatically rotates the cylinder. When the upper frame has completely recoiled, it is pushed forward again by a spring. When it has returned to its forward position the gun is ready to fire another shot, only this time a light pull in Single-Action mode, as the hammer is already cocked and the cylinder rotated.

The revolvers construction involves two major parts: the lower and the upper frame assembly. The lower assembly houses the trigger mechanism, a strong spring and the grip, and on top are a pair of rails, on which the upper frame assembly rides. The upper assembly holds the interchangable barrel and shroud, the cylinder, and the safety mechanism. The upper assembly is held in place by a spring, and a crossbolt prevents the assembly from moving off the lower frame. The cylinder itself swings out like that of any other revolver.
The entire revolver is made out of high quality steel, and the workmanship displayed is of the highest quality. The barrel can be replaced by means of a special wrench. When removing the barrel the shroud automatically is loosened as well, and there are different styles and lenghts of shroud available. The grip itself is of a single piece, and it too can be easily replaced for another style grip.
When disassembling the Unica some care must be taken to hold the revolver in a level position, because if it is held canted, several small parts can fall out of the frame. Replacing these can be somewhat bothersome, but this can be prevented by taking care during the disassembly and assembly of the weapon.

The Unica is chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge, and this is really the only cartridge to be fired with the gun. Weak loads or .38 Special rounds wil not generate enouhg recoil to operate the mechanism. On the other hand, the recoil powered mechanism reduces felt recoil considerably.
The last special feature of the weapon is that the adjustable sight is located on the front of the barrel shroud. Instead of adjusting the solid (but replacable) aft sights, one has to adjust the front sights.

Weight: 2.96 lbs (1.340 kg)(6 inch barrel) empty.
Caliber: .357 magnum
Barrel Length: 3 inches (7.6 cm), 4 inch (10.2 cm), 5 inch (12.7 cm), or 6 inch (15.2 cm).
Action: Semi-automatic Double Action.
Range: 200 ft (60 m).
Cylinder: 6 rounds .
Cost: $ 1,000.
Made in: Italy.
Special: Semi-automatic action. Very accurate, very high quality, interchangable barrels.

Where did you find this site (besides Google)? I'm interested in seeing more shrouds and grips than the default ones the gun comes with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
fwiw.... i looked into these a bit more. While they are able to handle a handful of different cailbers, the list is actually shorter than they claim. They use multiple names for the same cartridge... i.e. 9mm mak and 9x18, etc.

WTF? The only way what you said can make any sense whatsoever is if you're talking about the Medusa Model 47, a revolver famous for accepting a crapload of 9mm/.38/.357 cartridges. Which, by the way, doesn't accept 9mm Makarov/9x18mm cartridges anyway, so your point is moot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I wanted one when CDNN had them for $200-$300-ish. By the time I had the pennies thou they were sold out
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I wanted one when CDNN had them for $200-$300-ish. By the time I had the pennies thou they were sold out

Dang. Are they still around for such an awesome price someplace, or are they all in the $800-1,000 range now?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang. Are they still around for such an awesome price someplace, or are they all in the $800-1,000 range now?

Well, as your in Texas, I'd start looking at the gun shows. Maybe somesucker nice fellow will sell it for what he bought it for.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
a mate-what...
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Where did you find this site (besides Google)? I'm interested in seeing more shrouds and grips than the default ones the gun comes with.

www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Mateba_Model_6.htm
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
tag

You're tagging a thread nobody has posted in for over two months?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Seems like the answer to a question that nobody asked, although for something different to the to the collection, it's definetly that.

I'd put it in the same league as a gyro-jet or that gun that fired 'trounds' although I forgot what it was called.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

yes
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

yes

That officially makes you retarded, you know.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

yes

That officially makes you retarded, you know.

And You are wasting your time with a retard. What does that make you?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Half says they're awesome and wonderfully inventive. None seem to actually own one and most are influenced by the Trigun tv show.

The other half says it's a stupid idea and gimmicky. None of these people seem to actually own one either.

So has ANYONE here ever owned or fired one of these? I'd like to budget for the legendary semi-auto revolver someday (8" barrel, .454 Casull, custom hard rubber grips- *drool* ).

The only information I ever find about them is usually either second hand or a one paragraph description in an advertisement extolling the virtues of such an accurate and recoil-friendly handgun.

Well, first off Trigun used a .45 caliber break double action revovler, closer to a Webley than a Mateba.

I have shot a Mateba, it was interesting and I thought fun, though only available in .357mag which is lighter than I like to shoot.

as for innovative, the Webley Fosbury came first though in a light caliber (.455)

if they made it in .454 casull or .460 S&W I would grab one, just to watch the registry up here grind to a halt on whether it is a revolver or semiauto (it is both but there are no provisions for a dual firearm like that )
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, first off Trigun used a .45 caliber break double action revovler, closer to a Webley than a Mateba.

I have shot a Mateba, it was interesting and I thought fun, though only available in .357mag which is lighter than I like to shoot.

as for innovative, the Webley Fosbury came first though in a light caliber (.455)

if they made it in .454 casull or .460 S&W I would grab one, just to watch the registry up here grind to a halt on whether it is a revolver or semiauto (it is both but there are no provisions for a dual firearm like that )

Ahem. They DO make the Mateba in .454 Casull. It originally only came in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum, but a couple years ago they started making it in .454.

I'm aware that Vash's gun is a .45 Long Colt break-open double-action revolver. However, its barrel is aligned with the lower chamber rather than upper chamber, just like a Mateba, and has a large barrel shroud like the Mateba. This is because it's visually BASED on the Mateba.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top