Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2013 5:50:59 PM EDT
A friend is thinking about buying one and I know about harleys, sport bikes, and KLR's but I don't know anything about these BMW's.

Pat
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not know anything about that year model but I had a 66 model BMW motorcycle that was bullet proof. That shaft drive is awesome
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
3 cylinder version of the K100 (4cylinder).  The engine "bottom end" is on one side of the bike. The head on the other.
Decent balance, vibration-wise. Shaft drive. I'm not sure I would term the bike a raging success for BMW.
Fairly short-lived in their model lineup. None right now on eBay Motors.
Go to   www.f800riders.org      There is a sub-forum there called "flying bricks" ;  devoted to the older K100 and K75 bikes.
There should be plenty of info there.  

Stay safe
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey,Sharp do you want to sale your motorcycle or what?As I am not getting so please explain.
fixie bike
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
With the exception of some electrical issues, crazy dependable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a cousin that has a K100, and maybe a K750.  From what I recall of him saying, the K750 was better than the K100.  In all of BMW's wisdom, they decided to place the head side of the engine on the left side of the bike.  When the bike is placed on the kick stand, oil seeps past the piston rings and settles in the combustion chamber.  2 cycles get jealous of the blue smoke on start-up.  Most K100 owners leave the bikes on the center stand to reduce the smoke out effect.  I could be wrong on this but I thought he said BMW made some changes to reduce this on the K750's (but again, I could be wrong).

The K750/K100 is very advanced for its time.  They are very neat bikes and they are known to be reliable.  Of course with an older bike, maintenance and mileage matters most.  If I was shopping for an older bike and came across a K750 in good shape and at the right price, I would have no hesitation of having one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a cousin that has a K100, and maybe a K750.  From what I recall of him saying, the K750 was better than the K100.  In all of BMW's wisdom, they decided to place the head side of the engine on the left side of the bike.  When the bike is placed on the kick stand, oil seeps past the piston rings and settles in the combustion chamber.  2 cycles get jealous of the blue smoke on start-up.  Most K100 owners leave the bikes on the center stand to reduce the smoke out effect.  I could be wrong on this but I thought he said BMW made some changes to reduce this on the K750's (but again, I could be wrong).

The K750/K100 is very advanced for its time.  They are very neat bikes and they are known to be reliable.  Of course with an older bike, maintenance and mileage matters most.  If I was shopping for an older bike and came across a K750 in good shape and at the right price, I would have no hesitation of having one.
View Quote

It's a K75, not a K750, but yes.. you're right about the center stand.  Forget the side stand ever existed on a K bike.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a K75, not a K750, but yes.. you're right about the center stand.  Forget the side stand ever existed on a K bike.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bike never had that problem
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither did my K100RS, I always heard aboiut it but I never saw it. Wish I stilll had that bike though. It felt as solid as sitting on a brick wall at 160 mph.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top