Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:58:49 PM EDT
I throw these pcs of shit right in the garbage without a second thought. I actually feel better after I have tossed the thing.

I have rarely used them. I bought a bunch at Rite Aid a few years back only because they were selling them for the city for

10 cents a pc. I hate the fucking things

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you break those indoors you have to clear the room or you will die.

edit: from epa.gov, you know these have to be good for the enviroment

Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
They're alright.  They quit....in the garbage they go.  ((shrugs))

Let them sort em out...they made the fucking rules.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ROFL.. EPA so silly.. soo sooo silly
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't had one go out, but when I do I'll probably take it down to the county hazmat disposal site. They take them for free.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
lol.

Really. Come on. I've been to so many backyard wrestling fights where they were breaking fluorescent light bulbs over each other by the dozen, (indoors, too). I'm pretty sure here it is 10 years later and no one is sick, it'll be OK.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't had one go out yet, but if I threw it in the trash, i'd be off to the regional incinerator anyways.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
they suck
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
When mine go out, into the dumpster they go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I throw everything in the can... You not supposed to put yard debris <sp> in there either, I do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
DRR.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard that if it gets dropped it will Kaboom like a Glock
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Nah, I am still using the old ones until the Obama cash for clunkers kicks in for these types of bulbs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]
You can take them to any Lowe's or Home Depot to be properly disposed of.  Probably Wal Mart and a zillion other places as well.

Or you can just toss them in the trash.  Your dirty secrets are safe with me.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I like to take them to the local salmon spawning grounds and make sure they break right in the spawning beds.

No more salmon means the dams can stay up and I can get cheap-ish electricity.

By getting cheapish electricity, I plan on playing more xbox games thereby contributing to all those gaziilions of discarded data discs in the landfills.

In time, given the ammount of those things laying around even now, they will offset the axial tilt of the planet enough to cause another ice age.

Fuck you AL Gore, and the global warming horse you rode in on!

HA!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
dbl tap
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nah, I am still using the old ones until the Obama cash for clunkers kicks in for these types of bulbs.

2012 they go away forever.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
you americans aren't allowed to throw those out? you can have machine guns but not special light bulbs?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]
When ever I have to start buying them, you can bet your arse I'll be throwing mine in the trash can.

If gov is gonna force them down my throat, they can sort them out of the dang trash pile.

Screw these bulbs, screw the "Green movement" and most of all, screw Obama.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I like to take them to the local salmon spawning grounds and make sure they break right in the spawning beds.

No more salmon means the dams can stay up and I can get cheap-ish electricity.

By getting cheapish electricity, I plan on playing more xbox games thereby contributing to all those gaziilions of discarded data discs in the landfills.

In time, given the ammount of those things laying around even now, they will offset the axial tilt of the planet enough to cause another ice age.

Fuck you AL Gore, and the global warming horse you rode in on!

HA!

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I always thought the proper authority was the garbage man.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
About a week ago, one of those shorted and exploded in my laundry room, starting a fire. Thank God I was home and caught it in time to put it out.

I'm stocking up on incandescents, before the ban goes into effect.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been stock up in in-can-desents as well as ammo for my bullet hose, if nothing else I have ample reactionary targets.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#24]
go throw those damn things at hippies or something.  I'll never use those commie spirals of tyranny.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Not me. I always obey my Overlords.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Not to mention you look like shit under that kind of lighting. Ever look at yourself in the mirror in a cheap motel and wonder what's wrong with you? It's that there's not enough red in the light so you look like a corpse. I also wonder if there aren't vitamin D deficiencies from these –– causing depression.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I throw everything in the can... You not supposed to put yard debris <sp> in there either, I do.

Me too.  I even throw old dried up paint in there.

We only have "open burn" days in select weeks in April & October.  Some things I don't want around that long in the mean time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We only have "open burn" days in select weeks in April & October.  Some things I don't want around that long in the mean time.

At  leat you let yours dry up first.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Never had one go out , converted the entire house 5 years ago, indoors and out. maybe I'll mount the first one on the mantle or something.

eta.  electric bill last month was $47 , wintertime sub 30.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

They're worried about mercury in fish, but not in our living room.

WHAT

THE

FUCK?

Hax
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At  leat you let yours dry up first.

Ha, I figure it's the polite thing to do for the garbage hauler.  I wouldn't want that can to break open and spill out all the paint inside their lovely trash truck.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At  least you let yours dry up first.

Ha, I figure it's the polite thing to do for the garbage hauler.  I wouldn't want that can to break open and spill out all the paint inside their lovely trash truck.

They would not know the difference.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I throw these pcs of shit right in the garbage without a second thought. I actually feel better after I have tossed the thing.

I have rarely used them. I bought a bunch at Rite Aid a few years back only because they were selling them for the city for

10 cents a pc. I hate the fucking things
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/afitlewis/DSC06417.jpg?t=1249361877

CFLs?

You can just throw them out...

The 'mercury scare' is just that - s scare... Folks have been throwing out flourescent bulbs ever since they were invented, and still do...

People have been breaking flourescent tubes for just as long - and just sweeping them up & throwing the shit away...

They are not really hazmat....

It's just a whole bunch of lawyer-proofing...

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I dropped one 18 stories down an elevator shaft a few weeks ago.  It sounded good when it hit the pit.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Huh, I like my CFLs.

Light seems fine to me, and I like that I haven't replaced a bulb in the year since I started buying them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're worried about mercury in fish, but not in our living room.

WHAT

THE

FUCK?

Hax

That's a CYA statement from the EPA. Nobody cared about the mercury in bulbs when they were just in office buildings and the like. It's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#37]
The POS are rated for 10,000 hours and then burn out in 100 hours
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#38]
I know you guys like to hate them  because they use less energy, burn less fossil fuels, and are popular with hippies

But they do work, I helped redo a friends house and we replaced a large quantity of the lights with CFLs and he did notice the difference because his wife does not turn lights off.....ever....
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#39]

I thought this was going to be a dead hooker thread.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The POS are rated for 10,000 hours and then burn out in 100 hours

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

CFLs?

You can just throw them out...

The 'mercury scare' is just that - s scare... Folks have been throwing out flourescent bulbs ever since they were invented, and still do...

People have been breaking flourescent tubes for just as long - and just sweeping them up & throwing the shit away...

They are not really hazmat....

It's just a whole bunch of lawyer-proofing...

This.

The mercury exposure is tiny as compared to larger flourescent bubls that have been around forever.

When I worked at a mega food store during High School, about ninteen years ago, the most coveted duty was the disposal of the big six foot long industrial/commercial fourescent bulbs. We'd lay them carefully all length-wise in the hydraulic garbage compactor and it would take a couple tons of force, then they'd all shatter at once.

Or we'd go out back with good ones at night under the high tension lines over the loading dock and play "Star Wars" with the induced electrostatic glow.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#42]
incandescent bulbs have their place, and to make them illegal is stupid.
cfl's are much better for most home applications.
as far as mercury goes  a cfl has 5-6 mg, a salmon has 1mg/kg, so 11# of salmon has more mercury
and you consume it all, if you break a cfl you may inhale 1/10,000 of it
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#43]
fuck it i throw them in the garbage.. fucking .gov wants to be green but make it hard then fuck em.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Anything that I can fit into trash bags goes into the bin by the curb.  If I have to dismantle or cut it up to make it fit, so be it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#45]
IMO, just buy whatever's cheapest until LED's make both incandescent and CFL's obsolete.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I thought this was going to be a dead hooker thread.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Global warming is a myth.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#48]
i throw them in my neighbors yard that i hate
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#49]
They go expressly in the trash without a second thought.  

Ed
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I bury them just like I do car batteries , tires , diapers , the plastic thingy that holds six-packs together and styrofoam containers of anti-freeze
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top