Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 10:07:30 AM EDT
I have a Ruger .357, I got from my dad when he retired as an LEO.  It is 100% stainless steel, except the hand grips, so to clean it he has always removed the rubber grips, placed it in the dishwasher and ran it thru a cycle. Once its done he runs a bead of oil over the entire surface, and its ready to go.  

So have you ever done this?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You can only do that with Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
You could get away with that method only in a home with no functioning females.  It's in the same league as using the oven to dry out an engine block.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
They will KABOOM if you clean them like that.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've probably seen it done and done it myself a 1000 times.  I use no soap, or chemicals.  Just very hot water and steam.  The use hoppes #9.  No risk of explosion I can see, so please explain.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've probably seen it done and done it myself a 1000 times.  I use no soap, or chemicals.  Just very hot water and steam.  The use hoppes #9.  No risk of explosion I can see, so please explain.  

It was a joke.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You could get away with that method only in a home with no functioning females.  It's in the same league as using the oven to dry out an engine block.

If you do this, and have any NON functioning females in the house, expect them to start functioning just to bitch you out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a joke.

Ah-Ha sorry, I thought  was missing something.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...so to clean it he has always removed the rubber grips, placed it in the dishwasher and ran it thru a cycle. Once its done he runs a bead of oil over the entire surface, and its ready to go.  

So have you ever done this?

Usually just clean my revolver like any other gun, take it apart and clean everything, but the dishwasher is a good idea, never thought of that
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you do this, and have any NON functioning females in the house, expect them to start functioning just to bitch you out.

They can be distracted with episodes of Oprah or even a Lifetime movie
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget choclate.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#13]
How will it clean the lead & copper out of the barrel.

Nobody is worried about lead contamination of the eating utensils for the next wash?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Lead, powder and cleaning chemicals sprayed onto the dishes in the next load....

Yep, lead poisoning!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always done my best to keep water off my firearms.

Not going to stop now.

Water is going to sit in parts you can't reach and a revolver has alot of them.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've always done my best to keep water off my firearms.

Not going to stop now.

Water is going to sit in parts you can't reach and a revolver has alot of them.

Just my opinion.

X 2  And all the internals may not be stainless.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No wonder so many kB's with Glocks, they are NOT dishwasher safe like Hk's are!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top