Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 3:30:48 AM EDT
This pic in another thread got me thinking.

Is all ordnance individually packaged like this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
That's just the guidance kit that is bolted on to a Mk 80 series bomb to turn in into a laser guided bomb.  

What other thread?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's just the guidance kit that is bolted on to a Mk 80 series bomb to turn in into a laser guided bomb.  

What other thread?

JDAM?

Here's the thread:

What do you do for a living?

I still want to know, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No, JDAMS use a completely different guidance kit. Link to JDAM info.

The kit that is in the picture looks like what goes on a Mk 82 bomb (500 lbs) to turn it into a GBU-12 laser guided bomb.  Link for more GBU info.

You'll need one of the ammo guys here to answerer the question about if all ordinance comes in its own box.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the ordnance.

Grenades come in little tubes, IIRC.

They make those rare little metal boxes for linked ammo .

It all gets crated or boxed because you have to move it and store it somewhere and it will probably get handled by people who are tired/lazy/stupid/inattentive at SOME point and will definitely be in a vehicle which will make a stupid move and have be thrown around.  All of these circumstances say that you want your ordnance to be securely packaged to attempt to give Murphy as small a shot at you as possible.  Even so . . . Murphy Will Get You.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
never seen a storage container/case for a first stage rocket motor for a trident missile[I orII]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the weapon.  And yes that looks like s a guidance package for MK 80 series 500lb bomb that when modified with said componants becomes the following:

2-21. PAVEWAY II GUIDED BOMB UNITS (GBU)
(figure 2-14). Paveway II GBU’s are MK 80/BLU-110/
111/117 Series GP bombs modified to detect a target
illuminated by a laser beam. The modification consists of a
MAU-169 series CCG or WCU-10 series Control Section
(CS) and MXU-650, 651, or 667 series AFG. The CCG
and guidance fins are mounted on a forward adapter assembly
and provide target detection and guidance. The wing
assembly is mounted aft.

IYAOYAS

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it is a guidance kit for a 80 series or for a blu-109,110,111...  IIRC  It's been a while.  Alot of ordnance comes individually boxed up.  Rocket motors, fuzes, boosters, grenades.  Missiles have their own coffins.  The GBU kit that you had a picture of comes individually.  Bigger things like the bombs and rocket warheads come palletized.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes it is a guidance kit for a 80 series or for a bsu-109,110,111...  IIRC  It's been a while.  Alot of ordnance comes individually boxed up.  Rocket motors, fuzes, boosters, grenades.  Missiles have their own coffins.  The GBU kit that you had a picture of comes individually.  Bigger things like the bombs and rocket warheads come palletized.  

Fellow Ordy!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
indeed...  There's a couple more around here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
indeed...  There's a couple more around here.

Well, I have to become an AW if I want to keep my wings..  Part of this rate consolidation crap the USN is doing..  Timeline is spring cycle 2007..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top