Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 12:12:33 AM EDT
If someone sustains a hard punch in the throat will it kill them or just put them out of commission for a while?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll hurt like a bitch I know that.  I'd think it could kill you if they hit you hard enough to break your neck, but other than that it'd just make you feel like peter north had his way with your mouth
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have heard that a punch, or better yet, a chop to the neck can collapse the trachea, i.e. crush it like a copper pipe. This could cause you to suffocate.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
but other than that it'd just make you feel like peter north had his way with your mouth

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Only if it's 'Full Power Shot'!

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been hit in the throat before.  It hurts like hell,  Much harder and yeah it coulda killed me I bet.  In all my years on the ambulance I've never seen anyone die from bft to the neck, but I also never saw anyone get shot and live, at all, except me.  People get shot and live all the time.  but I never saw it, except me, until I moved to the country, and then I saw it a few times on a rural vfd.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#8]
It is considered leathel force!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

lethal force is in the eye of the prosecutor. Your not gonna go down on a charge JUST because you hit someone there.  If you were justified in hitting them? then you should be ok.  If you were attacked and they died cause they got hit attacking you, your pretty safe from a criminal prosecution.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#10]
True, I'm just saying that in most cases,if you punch someone in the throat just make sure that you are justified in that amount of force.  If you punch somebody and it lands in the throat and this was not what you intended that is one thing, but if you punch them with the intention of the throat then you had better be in a deadly force encounter, or you open your self up for prosecution, and possably a lawsuit by the family of the person
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Only if the blow is delivered by Squatdog....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:35:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a martial arts instructor tell me a windpipe will crush like "an ice cream cone".  And yes, disable/kill the recipient.

No never tried it!  Don't know if he was serious but everything else he said was the truth so I have no reason to doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:40:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Are you volunteering as the punching bag? Any blow that is placed properly with sufficient power can kill!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are you volunteering as the punching bag?

Any blow that is placed properly with sufficient power can kill!

Oh yeah?
What about the stomach?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Internal Bleeding, cracked ribs that puncture a lung. Liver punch, need I say more?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Not necessarilly. I've been punched in the throat before, and obviously survived. That said, I would prefer getting kicked in the balls to being punched in the throat again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#17]
You betcha it can kill even if you don't crush the trachea.  Internal swelling will close that airpipe down and without air, the body shuts down.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I am under the impression that a hard enough blow to the Adam's Apple can produce enough swelling to impair breathing, possibly killing the unlucky punchee.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was younger, me and my friend were being stupid and scrapping a little. I missed his face and hit his throat. I thought that I had killed him. He collapsed and could'nt breath right for a few minutes, but then he recovered. Scared the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Had a friend killed like that. One shot to the throat, crushed the windpipe and she was no more. Just because she wouldn't give her cokehead ex-con more money for his Cocaine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It'll hurt like a bitch I know that.  I'd think it could kill you if they hit you hard enough to break your neck, but other than that it'd just make you feel like peter north had his way with your mouth

And how would you know this?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#23]
It can, and it does.

Any hard blow to the neck can crush the trachea, fracture the hyoid bone, or cause sufficient soft tissue swelling to compromise the airway.  Also, there is the potential for bleeding into the airway, and even disruption of one of the great vessels in the neck, either the jugulars, or the carotids.  Finally, any blow of sufficient force can fracture or dislocate cervical vertebrae causing paralysis and / or death.

The neck is a very vulnerable region to many injuries.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah?
What about the stomach?

Isn't a punch to the stomach how Houdini died??

Legend has it that he was hit with a squat-dog shot while unprepared, and died of internal bleeding IIRC ruptured spleen.  

ETA: Ruptured appendix, sorry.

houdini
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lethal force is in the eye of the prosecutor. Your not gonna go down on a charge JUST because you hit someone there.  If you were justified in hitting them? then you should be ok.  If you were attacked and they died cause they got hit attacking you, your pretty safe from a criminal prosecution.

You may or may not be safe from criminal prosecution, depending on certain details (lengthy discussion on that one)... but in a civil suit, you can be found guilty and the family can sue your socks off for liability.  Courts stink, even if the entire public is rallying on your side and the knucklehead deserved it... you will still be faulted for what happened.  

Look what happened to O.J. Simpson.  They acquitted him for the murder of his wife, but the wife's family sued him in civil court for wrongful death and won.  Since then, he owes millions of dollars.    

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Armchair Commando Says YES
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would certainly consider it justification to use deadly force in self defense if I was attacked with such a thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah?
What about the stomach?

Harry Houdini.  Nuff Said.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#29]

We're relatively fragile creatures sometimes.  A punch anywhere can kill, given the right circumstances.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how would you know this?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah?
What about the stomach?

Harry Houdini.  Nuff Said.

According to leading medical experts, Houdini was alreday suffering from Apendicitis.  The stomach punches MAY (I stress MAY) have acted as a catalyst.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#32]
yes,

i kicked my friend in the neck once, it was the same friend i accidently knocked out when i punched him in the solar plxis(sp)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top